Hornady PA 240 grain conical

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Sparhawk

Reaction score
I will be trying these out of my Lyman Great Plains this morning. I couldn't sleep from excitement. I know their for a longer barrel 1:66 twist barrel but gonna try them in my 32 inch 1:60 twist anyways. According to the paper that came inside the box (which was odd) with a 50 yard zero, it only drops 1.4 inches at 100 and still had plenty of velocity and ft lbs of energy to kill a deer. I believe it would kill deer up to 150 yards according to the numbers on the chart. But if I can kill deer 125 yards and less with it, I will be a happy man because that's really the longest shots I will be taking. I will post pictures of my targets latter on. Wish me luck guys since I will no longer be hunting with inlines at all.

I have a box of those myself. Haven't shot any of them yet in my 1/66 twist barrel Tennessee rifle.
Look forward to your report.
At 50 yards I had 4 shots pretty much center but 2 and 3 inches high with one flyer 5 inches to the right which I called when I pulled the trigger. I have no shade at my range and decided to try again in the morning because it was just too hot to be shooting today around 11:30 to noon in NC.
But I will give it another go in the morning really early.

At 50 yards I had 4 shots pretty much center but 2 and 3 inches high with one flyer 5 inches to the right which I called when I pulled the trigger. I have no shade at my range and decided to try again in the morning because it was just too hot to be shooting today around 11:30 to noon in NC.
But I will give it another go in the morning really early.
Sounds like you're getting dialed in. Been hot out here in Oklahoma too. I'm hoping to get out to the range sometime next week.

James
Still in remodeling mode right now, damn virus. I have 4 boxes of those PA conicals that i intend to shoot in my CVA Mountian 50 cal pistol. I just have not got around to it yet. 50 yard max for me and my eye sight.
DL

James
Still in remodeling mode right now, damn virus. I have 4 boxes of those PA conicals that i intend to shoot in my CVA Mountian 50 cal pistol. I just have not got around to it yet. 50 yard max for me and my eye sight.
DL
I have the same mountain pistol.
What would you be using for a powder charge with the PA conicals?

deermanok
I dont know but i have SWIS, GOEX, TRIPLE7 all in 3F. I lean more toward SWIS or GOEX than i do TRIPLE7. Probably start around 20 grns and work up to about 35 or 40 grns. Depends on where the accuracy comes in then falls off or where i can no longer handle the recoil.
DL

deermanok
I dont know but i have SWIS, GOEX, TRIPLE7 all in 3F. I lean more toward SWIS or GOEX than i do TRIPLE7. Probably start around 20 grns and work up to about 35 or 40 grns. Depends on where the accuracy comes in then falls off or where i can no longer handle the recoil.
DL
I've been using 30 grains of Goex 3f with a patched round ball.
I recently ordered and received some Old Ensyford and Swiss both in 3f.
Been wanting to get the time to try both powders in my pistol and rifle.

Latest posts

Back