Hornady XTP loading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carcaju99

Reaction score
Howdy folks. I have only used a sabot round like the Hornady XTP one time. I shoot a CVA Wolf. When I started the bullet, the sabot seemed to get really distorted. Is this normal or is the a special way to start an XTP? Can you recommend a video? I looked on YouTube and I guess my question is a little too simple to warrant anyone showing the ins-outs of it. Any thoughts?

Regards,
Gary

Attachments

• Aerial-Tramway-Gold-King-Mine-600x407 - Copy.jpg
    Aerial-Tramway-Gold-King-Mine-600x407 - Copy.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0
The bullet/sabot should slip right into the end of the barrel, then get a bit harder after it gets into the actually rifling. What do you mean the sabot is distorted? Where is the distortion at? By the time the bullet/sabot engages the rifling you should only see the top of the bullets and the top of the sabot's petals. There should be no distortion whatever at that point unless you're using a sabot that is too small for the bullet's diameter.... using a .458 bullet in a .451/.452 sabot.... but that would just be a really tight fit and you still should not distort the sabot.

Did you get it figured out? One of my buddy’s (not big into MLers) had some issues loading his CVA Optima 50, I suggested a few rounds and sabots he tried. The CVA’s are a tight Bore and the 240 XTP (.430) with the green sabots should load and perform well. His Bore looked like crap, I cleaned his Bore with copper cleaner as well as slip2000 carbon cleaner and used a nylon brush in it until I was confident it was clean, I seasoned it with Slip 2000 EWL. They loaded much better but he cannot shoot more than three shots without cleaning or he has trouble with it being too tight to push. Btw, now he is shooting 2 inch groups at 100 yards with the 240’s.

Did you get it figured out? One of my buddy’s (not big into MLers) had some issues loading his CVA Optima 50, I suggested a few rounds and sabots he tried. The CVA’s are a tight Bore and the 240 XTP (.430) with the green sabots should load and perform well. His Bore looked like crap, I cleaned his Bore with copper cleaner as well as slip2000 carbon cleaner and used a nylon brush in it until I was confident it was clean, I seasoned it with Slip 2000 EWL. They loaded much better but he cannot shoot more than three shots without cleaning or he has trouble with it being too tight to push. Btw, now he is shooting 2 inch groups at 100 yards with the 240’s.
You do not mention what powder he's using. Some powders [pellets] are way dirtier after even one shot than others and may require him to run a damp patch down the barrel between shots to facilitate easier loading.

Agreed and I forgot to mention that, he uses two t7 pellets (100gr) for the ease of hunting. I prefer to weigh loose powder with my guns, Blackhorn and t7 or 5744 smokeless

Back