How Clean is Clean???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster_Feather

Reaction score
After just a couple of years of muzzleload hunting, I am still considering myself a newbie. My advice on shooting my gun is from "buddies" that have always "done it this way"!

I am always trying to learn more and get more out of my gun.

I currently shoot Pyrodex pellets with Remington 209 primers. (After reading posts on here, it sounds like I need to go to 777.) My question is about swabbing after you shoot. One wet and a couple dry patches. How clean should your patches be after you swab the barrel twice with dry patches?
Mine are still coming out with a lot of powder residue.

I guess that I should add that I am using a water soluble Citrus based cleaner for my wet patch. It seems to work pretty good.
I have used it on my breech plug and it takes the residue off easily!!!

Any comments would be appreciated!!!

Roooooooooster

You initial patch should be just beyond "damp". Wet enough to get the worst crud out,,,but not wet enough to leave much moisture near the breechplug. Your dry patches won't be spotless,,,,but they should be better than the first "damp" one. 8)

RF :

You are not trying to get your barrle super clean THE DAMP PATCH SHOULD BE JUST DAMP ENOUGH TO TAKE OUT EXCESS FOWLING AND NOCK OUT ANY CRUD RING WHERE THE BULLET WAS SEATED AGINST THE POWDER YOUR DRY PATCHES SHOULD LIFT ANY MOISTURE THAT WAS LEFTBEHIND BY THE DAMP PATCH PLUS YOUR DAMP PATCH WILL PUT OUT ANYTHING THAT MAY STILL BE HOT INSIDE YOUR BARRLE YOU WILL FIND IN 9 OUT OF 10 TIMES THAT A FOULD BARRLE WILL SHOT MORE CONSISTANT GROUPS THAT IS WHY YOU NEED NOT SCUB YOUR BARRLE BETWEEN EA. SHOT. :yeah:

LUNGBUSTER1

My guns seem to shoot far better with a single semi damp wipe with a spit patch.

The key here is consistancy.... Do it the SAME every time for consistant groups.

I use T17 pre-saturated patches down the bore once and scrub away the crud ring... then 1 dry patch down with using both sides (twice) just in and out.. no scrubbing

This brings the bore back to a near clean condition.

Back