how do you carry your accessories when hunting ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Backpack with far more then I need but can’t seem to cut back. Seeing I’m out usually dawn to dusk I have food and a thermos of hot coffee. In case I’m cold and hungry I have can of chunky soup and foldable stereo stove, plus calls ,knive, rubber gloves, range finder. Carry couple of reloads in camo pockets as well as copious amount of tp and couple wet wipes. When I’m all done and ready to set out my climber goes over my back pack all till like 50 so lbs. Wonder why at 76 I’m tired later. Lol

For all my hunting I carry the same single shoulder backpack. The only thing that changes are the contents. In this pack I carry a couple handwarmers, exter capper or flash pan primer, any and all tools needed to disassemble and fix minor peoblems (flints, vent liners, etc), field dressing gloves, spare knife and flashlight, charged speed loaders, license, little zip ties to attach my tag, and a drag rope.
Then there are the other essentials: a compass, toilet paper, water, a couple paper towels in ziplock bag, jerky, candy bar(s) apple and maybe a sandwich (which doesn't usually look like a sandwich by the time I get to eat it!) And if there's still room a pack or tw of snack crackers preferably cheese.

reloads , knives , rubber gloves , flashlights , what ever , how do you carry it . back/shoulder pack , waist pack , pants/coat pockets ,something else .....
i sure how far folks get off the road or beaten trail and if it's a few hours , a day or a few days hunt dictates what you need . myself i have some replaced joints and a bad back so i won't be far from my vehicle but i'd be interested in what folks carry regardless of distance or duration of the hunt. I carry either a fanny or day pack, usually with lights/headlamp, scents, knife, lighter, small first aid kit, sometimes an extra layer, gloves, deer drag, etc.

reloads , knives , rubber gloves , flashlights , what ever , how do you carry it . back/shoulder pack , waist pack , pants/coat pockets ,something else .....
i sure how far folks get off the road or beaten trail and if it's a few hours , a day or a few days hunt dictates what you need . myself i have some replaced joints and a bad back so i won't be far from my vehicle but i'd be interested in what folks carry regardless of distance or duration of the hunt,
After decades I've settled on this backpack. It's a WW2 Military Surplus Musette Canvas Back Pack. It's quiet with no zippers to break or buttons to loose. Regartdless of the day's hunt I limit it's contents to 10 pounds.

I used to use a fanny pack but changed to a small 3-zipper cordura bag with a shoulder strap. I carry most of what's been mentioned before along with a multi tool. Reloads go in the outer most pocket. The thing I like is being able to slip it off my shoulder easily to eliminate the weight.

Depending on location and species of game being hunted it has been a modest backpack, a shooting bag & horn OR TO just a belt knife, ball & powder(in tubes), prelubed patches in a cap tin and ways in between.

I use a fieldline multi pocket fanny pack as my possibles bag, and a turkey vest for carrying everything else. I sometimes contemplate getting a daypack, but I am so used to my vest, it’s kinda hard to change.

Carry almost everything in my folding chair pocket and the rest goes in my jacket pockets.

I carry a clip belt with three large pockets (left-side / right-side and fanny. Each pocket has a flap that snaps closed.

My rammer tools, cleaning supplies, powder and ball/ sabots are in a pair of Mosin Nagant ammo pouches on a heavy leather belt. Been using them for 20 year and they're holding up fine. Knives etc are in some weird eastern European surplus haversack looking thing. Equal vintage.
20th/21st century period correct...

I've used a fanny pack for years now. It's got 5 different pockets on it. Powder flask and powder measure, bullets, sabots and primers. Knife and rubber gloves, toilet paper, and binoculars. A bunch of other possibles! 🤣

I use a Fieldline day pack with most all of my needed items. I make sure i have a wet wash cloth n 1qt n 1 gal freezer bags, for the hear n liver. Wash cloth n gloves to clean my hands n knife off. Using my ML's i have one of my possible/shooting bags with everything in it for the hunting trip

i sure how far folks get off the road or beaten trail and if it's a few hours , a day or a few days hunt dictates what you need . myself i have some replaced joints and a bad back so i won't be far from my vehicle but i'd be interested in what folks carry regardless of distance or duration of the hunt .
Here is my hunting utility belt that I’ve worn since Summit camo out with the viper self climber & I started traveling further into the woods & swamps to hunt - 1hr before daylight & up until I can’t see well enough to shoot in the eves. It has 3 pouches, my Browning 3 blade knife, my folding saw for branches I need to remove to climb or to cut cover branches when I’m ground hunting, and the Army canteen with water. I usually carry 1-2 Gatorades & 1coke along with food & snacks & my Garmin GPS & a simple compass. That Carrie’s my long sleeve gutting gloves, baggies, plenty of napkins/TP, & my scent bombs etc., everything I need for long hunts. I hang it on the handrail of my self climber when I strap in to climb.

Attachments

• ACF477A3-BF0B-4247-8D3F-29F6477C7F16.jpeg
    ACF477A3-BF0B-4247-8D3F-29F6477C7F16.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I overpack without a doubt, but have rarely regretted it. During inner I have an ultralight Sitka backpack, winter I have a Badlands 2200 pack. Both are setup mostly identically. Water bladder, TP, first aid kit, clothes as weather requires, spare socks, knives and sharpener, food, sidearm, fire starting supplies, emergency blanket, small hatchet and folding saw.

For ML hunts, I take 3 speedloaders in a ziploc in my pocket and 3 more in my backpack. Rifle hunts, a spare mag goes in the hip pocket. Generally speaking my light pack weighs about 20#, the heavy pack weighs about #35 (more winter clothes and a heavier internal frame). I’ve often regretted not being in good enough shape to carry those comfortably for long ranges, but I’ve had a couple elk chases turn into 10 mile treks and I’ve been thankful for all of the gear I had with me, even though it made for a burden to carry.

I carry two bags….

One has hunting stuff and the other has camera equipment. No I don’t self film. It’s all my trail camera gear and accessories. I’ve grown to love trail cams for some crazy reason. Not necessarily for the hunting angle. I just like to see the animals when I can’t be watching them.

Back