How do you

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many states have a ML season before firearms. I can see more primitive regs when you get something like that in return. Some also offer separate ML and firearms tags. We dont get that here but you do for archery and their season is HUGE by comparison.

Bottom line....Give me a season before firearms and a separate tag/s. Because without those there is zero motivation for me to use a sidelock. I would rather hunt the firearms season with my MLs or SMLs and if needed get an additional doe tag for "alternative season". I get 1 buck no matter how i take it unless i got an archery tag or a conservation area lottery type hunt.

I just gotta ask, what in the world makes anyone think they deserve their own special season anyway. I can see restrictions being for safety like urban hunts or conservation land hunts but state wide? Ive hunted firearms season with a ML or SML probably 99% of the time in the last 30 years and i aint crying about it. I could put in for any firearms managed hunt i want but i always go for the ML hunts.

Why does it always seem to be one group that cries about inlines? Somehow my Knight in the woods at the same time just ruins THEIR hunt?

I'd say that states have proven that they are able to write regulations restrictive enough to overcome any technological advance that they want to. They can contact their state representative, if they don't like the laws. Same thing I'd tell someone who wants to use BH209, sabots, and high magnification scopes in Idaho ml hunts. If they aren't actively trying to change things, they are just whining.

Last edited:
Being as how I've already jumped into this discussion with both feet I thought I could add where my reasoning comes from. The country I live in is very windy, so to find a day to hunt when the wind isn't blowing is tough, so while muzzleloader hunting for deer, and in the wind, me and my brother-in-law spotted just a decent buck, easy shot except the wind was blowing. After trying three times to get my flintlock to shoot, I had to have my brother-in-law hold his cap shielding the pan so that the powder would stay in till I could snap the trigger. Probably sounds kind of dumb, and I was using 4f, but the wind would creep around the edges of the pan so that when when I snap the trigger, either the powder was gone or the spark wouldn't go to the right place, so that all I would get would be a spark. When he shielded it for me I got the rifle to shoot. Now I also hunt with percussion and that to me is just about failsafe. good caps stay on, good nipples don't misfire, and I've never had a hang fire. I don't own a modern muzzleloader, but I can't see where it would have anymore problems than this either. I've heard the disadvantage to a muzzleloader, besides distance, is no second shot. As far as needing a second shot, you just have to make the first one count?
What that other fellow did was very rude, if you don't like What somebody else is using or where somebody else's hunting, move.
Squint

Last edited:
Deal with a person who thinks that modern muzzleloaders are not really muzzleloaders?
I ran into a gent who thinks that they are intended to get around hunting laws designed for muzzleloader's
When I tell them I don't hunt deer (because I just don't prefer the meat) they stop in mid-sentence. Not one has ever complained about my hunting hogs year-round with an inline. I think their real concern is over what I am hunting, not what I'm hunting with. JMHO.

Deal with a person who thinks that modern muzzleloaders are not really muzzleloaders?
I ran into a gent who thinks that they are intended to get around hunting laws designed for muzzleloader's
Well frankly, there is not a lot of difference between my Ruger #1 single shot in 7mm Mauser and a modern inline. Especially using Firesticks.

I don’t know as the laws are different in each states about it. But Some states did restrict certain time periods to sidelocks only and both for other time periods.

But inlines are kinda nice for cleaning though. You can remove the breech plug and go at it like modern guns. Also handy for when you screw up royally and load the bullet without powder. Plus many inlines are setup for mounting scopes or red dots too. It gets harder and harder as you get older to use iron sights.

But I still like sidelocks a lot though. Lots of fun to shoot still.

I see by most answers that most shooter's, who answered, own probably both kinds, primitive and modern. Unless you've actually hunted with a flintlock, it's hard to compare the difficulties in shooting the antique over the newer version. I do believe that a separate Flintlock season Is the way to go, With any other muzzleloader season opened to anything that front loads. Perhaps the flintlock season is only for a week or three days, but it does recognize the difficulty in comparing rifles. Pennsylvania does have it right though few will admit it. Where I live, Montana, muzzleloader season is either side lock percussion or flintlock, Iron sights, 45 caliber or bigger, no sabots. The only drawback is that it's in December, which in Montana can be pretty tough. I agree with it. If you don't want to hunt special seasons and do it the way it's written, go with the regular season where you can even use a crossbow or a 22 rifle. Common sense dictates what you want to use there. And as far as compound bows being an advantage over recurve, I hunt with both and advantage is very little if any. Much more advantage can be obtained by sights, rangefinders and those sort of things.
Squint
Concur with you on the flintlock...

There's some out there that believe that if you're not shooting a flintlock, it not a muzzleloader.
Flintlocks may be fun to shot but I'm not of the patience to hunt with one...not that it cannot be done...many swear by them. To each his own. I still like a Kodiak magnum recurve bow...I've used a crossbow but prefer that recurve...I have several sidesaddle MLs but my favorite is my 50 cal Lyman built from a kit in 1970...does grreat with patched balls...

or why don't they walk or ride a horse instead of driving a vehicle ? or why don't they turn that dang electricity off and start using candles for lights and wood for cooking and heating . i'm sure they use a cell phone rather than yelling or sending smoke signals also .

i try to be nice to folks , but sometimes i just demote them to toy status and decide they're only good for having fun ticking them off .

Are there left-handed flint lock muzzleloaders. It would not be wise for a left-handed person to use a right-handed flintlock rifle.
I bet the "purists" must be really upset over the states that have allowed the Traditions Nitro Fire rifles.

Last edited:
Now you guys know how I feel...I'm left handed...do you realize how hard it is to find a left handed screwdriver or a left handed pencil...it's hard being left handed in a right handed world...

Are there left-handed flint lock muzzleloaders. It would not be wise for a left-handed person to use a right-handed flintlock rifle.
I bet the "purists" must be really upset over the states that have allowed the Traditions Nitro Fire rifles.

You can shoot both left and right handed MLS left or right handed. Sometimes your strong eye might be a problem. Just flip down an eye patch over it. Granted the flash isn’t is a bit close but no problem.

Latest posts

Back