How do you

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Ruger # 1 7mm isn't a whole lot different than an inline?
Respectfully, you need help.
If you POUR powder or drop pellets ( ugh) and ram... ITS A MUZZLELOADER! If ya don't, it aint.
Firestick capable rifles are breechloaders. You have to fill out a 4473 to buy one. ' Nuff said. Not legal here in Pennsylvania in any muzzleloader season.
I fail to see how someone else's choice of hunting weapon effects another's enjoyment/ experience. I don't care for Tupperware stocked bolt guns, with observatory scopes (and cluttered up reticles), in the latest fad round (or barrel burner) that encourages mediocre shots to shoot at things with blood and breath, at ranges beyond their ability.
But I don't bust rocks over it.
I digress...
To the original point. I teach Hunter/ Trapper Ed. courses here in Pennsylvania. We go over ethics and the thought " If you're not doing it my way you're doing it wrong". That can get lively if I have a flintlock/ prb snob in the class when I talk muzzleloaders.
In the field, I have FUN!
" No, the thing under my barrel is not a tubular magazine..."
" I'm shooting Holy Black"
" The 209 primer, I personally use #11s, has been around for well over a century. Read Ned Roberts book The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle and see pics of cartridge primered muzzleloaders from the 1880s"
My FAVORITE one is telling them the sabot is not new. The artillery has used them for about 500 years. A sabot is no, zip, zero, nada different than the Holy Patch in FUNCTION. It's simply a sub caliber adapter. I'm shooting a .45 out of a .50. You're shooting a .490 out of a .50. What's the difference other than what they're made of?
By that time, I must duck the chunks flying as their heads explode.
I tip my hat and wish them a fine day.
Full disclosure. I say keep Pennsylvania's 3 week flintlock season flintlock only. In fact, flintlocks outnumber inlines in my cabinet by 4 to 1.
I do, however, shoot sabots from my .50 Renegade flintlock. It's what she shoots best. When taking a critter's life, all it has after all, THAT is my only consideration. I dont/ won't force that choice on anyone. Nor do I criticize anyone for using a patched ball.

Last edited:
I respectfully respond.
The similarities between my Ruger #1 and an in-line ML shooting under 100 yrd. is minimal. I have never shot my deer at over 50 yrds., and have shot a few. I never considered my use of a ML any great inconvenience and enjoyed it, using a sidelock.
Use whatever floats your boat, flint, percussion sidelock or inline. But inlines are not traditional as ML’ing hunting seasons originally were intended.

I normally avoid these discussions like the black plague because I never see anything good coming out of them but i do have to ask mkabe about your comment:

"But inlines are not traditional as ML’ing hunting seasons originally were intended."

Please tell me where that statement comes from. Inlines have been around for an extremely long time and I would say they are also traditional. Where does one draw the "traditional" line? Is there a specific year that defines something as traditional or must it use flint, matchlock, percussion cap or ???. I don't recall my state (VA) stating our ML season was intended for traditional hunting as we have been pretty progressive in accepting new concepts/ideas for as long as I can remember (sometime in the early 70's). I don't always agree with the decision(s) but respect it. Food for thought:

synonyms for traditional
  • classic.
  • classical.
  • common.
  • conventional.
  • historic.
  • long-established.
  • old.
  • popular.

Can't argue with people on set opinions. Muzzleloaders are just that. Loaded from the muzzle, smoke poles, 1 shot then reload.
I get people have their "traditional" vs inline debate but they are classified as muzzleloaders by the community and government on the bigger scale. If someone feels out gunned or that mad about it, there are plenty of inline MLs for sale on here and out in the world. Thats an individual problem, nothing wrong with being a traditionalist or someone who prefers flintlocks, etc. just some are louder than others. Not worth the Oxygen to argue with close minded individuals

I normally avoid these discussions like the black plague because I never see anything good coming out of them but i do have to ask mkabe about your comment:

"But inlines are not traditional as ML’ing hunting seasons originally were intended."

Please tell me where that statement comes from. Inlines have been around for an extremely long time and I would say they are also traditional. Where does one draw the "traditional" line? Is there a specific year that defines something as traditional or must it use flint, matchlock, percussion cap or ???. I don't recall my state (VA) stating our ML season was intended for traditional hunting as we have been pretty progressive in accepting new concepts/ideas for as long as I can remember (sometime in the early 70's). I don't always agree with the decision(s) but respect it. Food for thought:

synonyms for traditional
  • classic.
  • classical.
  • common.
  • conventional.
  • historic.
  • long-established.
  • old.
  • popular.
Kansas originally had a “Primitive” Deer Season. And all there were were Flints and Sidelocks allowed. Inlines had to be approved later, much later. That term has since been dropped. I don’t care what you use and inlines are fine if that’s what floats your boat. All I said was inlines, those with today’s designs are NOT primitive, not traditional, with the possible exception of the Hall Rifle which was not used predominantly. That’s all. Now go play elsewhere as I have better threads to read. Food for thought.

If I remember right they were making inlines before the civil war when percussion caps came out. There were some flintlock action versions that look like inlines too. But the first modern in-line came out circa 1985.

If I remember right they were making inlines before the civil war when percussion caps came out. There were some flintlock action versions that look like inlines too. But the first modern in-line came out circa 1985.
You are absolutely correct! The Hall breechloader was actually patented in 1811 I believe and developed in 1819. Wasn’t particularly popular during the civil war, but used.

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct! The Hall breechloader was actually patented in 1911 I believe and developed in 1919. Wasn’t particularly popular during the civil war, but used.
Yeah that was one I was trying to remember. Thanks for that. There were some others that didn’t catch on too.

Arguably, the cap and ball revolvers and the revolving carbines are multi shot inlines too.

http://whitemuzzleloading.com/a-his...a cylindrical hammer driven by a coil spring.
IN-LINES

A plethora of designs for use with the new percussion principle appeared in the early 1800’s. The Swiss genius Pauley invented the paper cap, then invented a percussion muzzleloader in 1808 and breech-loader in 1812. His 1808 patent was the first for a muzzleloading in-line action in which the cock of the sidelock was replaced by a cylindrical hammer driven by a coil spring.

SABOTED BULLETS

The first sabots were used in the American Civil War. The sabots were wooden and held a packet of grapeshot or a cannonball, facilitating the rapid loading of successive shots in battle. It would be another 110 years before modern plastic sabots were developed. The first of these appeared in the 1970’s and were meant to hold a round ball, using plastic instead of a cloth patch. They did not work out well, simply because the cloth patch was so efficient, but were soon adapted for elongated bullets.

stole this from MM
1678891043901.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it. Of course we all have our preferences (I'm a sidelock guy), but in the end, we're all making smoke!

The question I would have is what consitutes a muzzleloader then? Percussion, flintlock, snapchaunce, wheel lock, matchlock? In the end, none of them are sepository firearms (loading from the rear-end).

The same argument has all but run it's course between traditional and compound bow shooters, though it's evolved to a crossbow argument now. Realistically, some folks just want to take issue with things. Best to let them and continue with what you were doing.

The same argument has all but run it's course between traditional and compound bow shooters, though it's evolved to a crossbow argument now. Realistically, some folks just want to take issue with things. Best to let them and continue with what you were doing.

with the new PCP/pneumatic arrow guns out plenty of folks are posterior hurt over them .
it's all about controll . not thinking like them and not doing as they do really grates on some folks . as long as it's legal whern i am i'm good .

Latest posts

Back