How do you

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white eagle

Reaction score
Deal with a person who thinks that modern muzzleloaders are not really muzzleloaders?
I ran into a gent who thinks that they are intended to get around hunting laws designed for muzzleloader's

I'd just smile at him and walk away. When you run into someone with that mindset you will never get far in a conversation about inlines vs traditional. I've met people like that, and I always feel that I'm better off going to look at tackle or guns I can't afford.

Deal with a person who thinks that modern muzzleloaders are not really muzzleloaders?
I ran into a gent who thinks that they are intended to get around hunting laws designed for muzzleloader's
AAAAAAAHHHH I remember when the compound bows were first getting popular..Ya can't stop progress & technology. Trader

You are correct , but really how many are still alive after being born in the 1700's. :) These that were born in the 1900"s are just wanna-be's
I never thought about it that way but you're right.
For me personally, I don't much care what anybody shoots for a muzzleloader. I own a flintlock and percussion sidehammer guns and a few inlines.
They all, for the most part, load and shoot the same. We should all support one another as hunters and shooters, no matter what tool one uses.

Not sure if they were intended to get around the rules. I shoot both myself, but I don’t know anyone that hasn’t said they only hunt with their inline to get those two extra weeks. Now does that mean everyone feels that way? No I’m sure there are hunters out there that only shoot inlines, there are some that only shoot sidelocks, and there are some that shoot both, there is room for all and I personally don’t care why or with what you hunt with. We should be doing all we can to be keeping more people in the woods, we all have the same goals.

AAAAAAAHHHH I remember when the compound bows were first getting popular..Ya can't stop progress & technology. Trader
You hit the nail on the head. First it was the traditional archers downgrading the compound users. Then the compound user doing the same to the crossbow shooters. Its the same thing with traditionaly flintlocks and caplocks downgrading inline shooters. Here in PA we still have a special season for flintlock only rifles but we also have an early muzzleloader season (anterless only) where any muzzleloader over .44 cal or larger long gun is legal. (pistols must be .50 cal or larger) and you can use any muzzleloader during the regular rifle season provided the same caliber restrictions are met.
As for the knuckleheads that try to argue with you, just smile and walk away. Their minds are made up so don't try to convince them with the facts.

I see by most answers that most shooter's, who answered, own probably both kinds, primitive and modern. Unless you've actually hunted with a flintlock, it's hard to compare the difficulties in shooting the antique over the newer version. I do believe that a separate Flintlock season Is the way to go, With any other muzzleloader season opened to anything that front loads. Perhaps the flintlock season is only for a week or three days, but it does recognize the difficulty in comparing rifles. Pennsylvania does have it right though few will admit it. Where I live, Montana, muzzleloader season is either side lock percussion or flintlock, Iron sights, 45 caliber or bigger, no sabots. The only drawback is that it's in December, which in Montana can be pretty tough. I agree with it. If you don't want to hunt special seasons and do it the way it's written, go with the regular season where you can even use a crossbow or a 22 rifle. Common sense dictates what you want to use there. And as far as compound bows being an advantage over recurve, I hunt with both and advantage is very little if any. Much more advantage can be obtained by sights, rangefinders and those sort of things.
Squint

I would also walk away, but definitely throw out a “bless yer heart” and maybe even something like “you probably believe the earth is flat” comment, for good measure. Maybe pat him on the head and ask if the retirement home knows he got out? A little arrogant condescension is what he is expecting anyway. May as well give him what he wants.

What is he using? At some point they are all modern compared to the old guns. Is he using a wick?

Well thats hogwash because in my state inlines were getting common by the time the seasons were opened state wide. They did however have "cap and ball" hunts at conservation areas. I think they still do. I tell ya, some of those "primitive" conservation hunts were/are the easier draw on prime hunting land.

States dont give a hoot about "intent". They care about $$$$$s and managing harvests enough to sell tags but not wipe out the deer population. You get enough people crying about their own special "feel good about hunting" season and you might get your conservation dept. to listen.

Personally i think those who say if its not a flintlock are the same ones screaming thats my deer ! I have no problem with people that hunt with their choice as long as its legal in your State. Like many of you i use several types of ML's, i have couple of rock sparkers n i see no handicap using them in any season they are allowed. I have couple of caplocks n find no handicap hunting. I have 1 inline smoker n 1 sml they also hold their own. I have been hunting with crossbows for over 25 years n they work well for me

Latest posts

Back