How long do Knight Western breech plugs last?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fiddling is filling the capper. I have big fingers and they don't get along with #11 caps. I messed with #10 caps for decades competing in CAS.

I like musket caps better for rifles. No capper needed.

I even used the name Capper on one forum. :D

Muley Hunter said:
sabotloader said:
Muley Hunter said:
Local shop here gets the same price for RWS as the CCI mags. Although I almost always use the RWS musket caps. I like the reliable ignition from musket caps. Never had a problem in wet weather. I did when using #11 caps. I do use a cows knee when it's raining, so that helps a lot.

See out here CCI's #11 Mags are $5.00 and RWS Dynamit Noble 1075 plus are $10...

With the proper fit of the cap to the nipple you really do not need the cows knee with #11 caps... you can go bare....

Shooting either cap does not make a difference in velocity or accuracy.

I use a cows knee with musket caps. I don't like fiddling with #11 caps.

Don't you buy caps in bulk? Cheaper that way.

Most do not like to handle #11's either, actually you shouldn't handle either #11's or Muskets any more than necessary - but that is exactly why they make cappers! Or you can make one out of leather but I really prefer the solid brass cappers made for and sold by Tradition's of all people.

Traditions_11_Capper.jpg

Yes, I do but not much reduction in price unless you go online then the hazmat gets you..

Our local shop must get a hell of a deal from somewhere. He charges me $6.00 a 100 for RSW musket caps. For the longest time I didn't realize how expensive they were. Then I saw them online for $10 a 100.

Muley Hunter said:
The fiddling is filling the capper. I have big fingers and they don't get along with #11 caps. I messed with #10 caps for decades competing in CAS.

That is what they make tweezers for - works really well

I like musket caps better for rifles. No capper needed.

I even used the name Capper on one forum. :D

sabotloader said:
Muley Hunter said:
Local shop here gets the same price for RWS as the CCI mags. Although I almost always use the RWS musket caps. I like the reliable ignition from musket caps. Never had a problem in wet weather. I did when using #11 caps. I do use a cows knee when it's raining, so that helps a lot.

See out here CCI's #11 Mags are $5.00 and RWS Dynamit Noble 1075 plus are $10...

With the proper fit of the cap to the nipple you really do not need the cows knee with #11 caps... you can go bare....

Shooting either cap does not make a difference in velocity or accuracy.

I would go broke buying RWS 1075s As much as i shoot! They are great Caps, but I honestly dont think they are a bit better than the CCi Magnums, I have shot a PILE of both and they are so darn close that I can’t tell any difference? The BIG difference i see between the 2 are price, the RWS 1075s cost Twice as much. 1 benefit with The RWS Caps, they are 10-3/4 (where the 1075 Comes from) And I do notice a little better/snugger fit on these Treso/Ampco Nipples, which are all i shoot anymore. If the RWS Caps were the same price as the CCi Magnums i would no doubt use them

I think RWS caps are more reliable and have better quality control. Not sure if they're hotter but that isn't as important unless you're using the fake powders.

Get a nipple that the RWS caps fit perfect and keep that with a tin of RWS caps. Just use them for hunting. Then use the cheaper caps for practice.

Muley Hunter said:
Get a nipple that the RWS caps fit perfect and keep that with a tin of RWS caps. Just use them for hunting. Then use the cheaper caps for practice.

Pete, This is exactly what i do. I have several Tins of the RWS 1075 Caps and They fit my Treso/Ampco nipples well, The RWS are my Hunting Caps, And the CCi Magnums are my Target Caps. I can get the CCi Magnum Caps for 5 bucks per 100, The RWS 1075s are much harder to find up here, our local Small Sport store carries them, they are 11.99 or 12.99 per 100, WAY to expensive for target work as much as i shoot

Yeah, that's a pretty high price. I was lucky for awhile with my local shop but I don't think he carried RWS anymore. he switched to CCI.

Then again I have an inline now and use 209 primers. I'll be surprised if I don't dump the inline and go back to a sidelock before hunting season. I've hunted since 1980 with sidelocks and a PRB. All the inlines i've owned I never hunted with one. We'll see if I make it this year.

Muley Hunter said:
sabotloader said:
Muley Hunter said:
Tweezers are for girls. :poke:

OK Pete - these tools are for Mechanics and listed as general tools... :D :D :D :prayer:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Too ... /202545177

I don't know Mike. I was a dealer auto mechanic for 25 years and never needed tweezers. I hear they work good for plucking eyebrows. :D

Pete
Heck with the eyebrows, it's the nose hairs that drive me crazy, Tweezers work for that perfectly. Yank 'em!
Also:
Forceps, clamps, dental pics, scalpels, and surgeons scissors should be in your box for fine work on everything. Cheap at my local flea market,
Send address and I'll fix you up.

bacass said:
Muley Hunter said:
sabotloader said:
OK Pete - these tools are for Mechanics and listed as general tools... :D :D :D :prayer:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Too ... /202545177

I don't know Mike. I was a dealer auto mechanic for 25 years and never needed tweezers. I hear they work good for plucking eyebrows. :D

Pete
Heck with the eyebrows, it's the nose hairs that drive me crazy, Tweezers work for that perfectly. Yank 'em!
Also:
Forceps, clamps, dental pics, scalpels, and surgeons scissors should be in your box for fine work on everything. Cheap at my local flea market,
Send address and I'll fix you up.

If you do just make sure they do not look like something a 'GIRL' might use - heavens knows he would never use them - he would probably return them without even a thank you! :D

And Pete todays cars have a whole lot of electronics and circuit boards in them - thing are different today than they were 50 years ago!

So I'll leave out the eyelash shaper thingys, unless you really want them. :poke:

I wait until nose and ear hairs are long enough to grab with my fingers and just yank them out. Mountain man style. :D

Muley Hunter said:
Yeah, that's a pretty high price. I was lucky for awhile with my local shop but I don't think he carried RWS anymore. he switched to CCI.

Then again I have an inline now and use 209 primers. I'll be surprised if I don't dump the inline and go back to a sidelock before hunting season. I've hunted since 1980 with sidelocks and a PRB. All the inlines i've owned I never hunted with one. We'll see if I make it this year.

The Ole Sidelocks are calling ya back home Pete! :D

You're right. I'd swap the whole inline setup for a traditional setup without a 2nd thought.

Muley Hunter said:
You're right. I'd swap the whole inline setup for a traditional setup without a 2nd thought.

This is NOT intended to start an argument of any kind, But i just can’t see the Allure of Inlines, at least here in Idaho? I see absolutely NO advantage to them whatsoever when they are Forced down on the same playing field as my Fast Twist Sidelocks, Meaning No Sabots, Scopes, 209 Primers (all of the things that make an inline so Great) Here in Idaho on Muzzleloader only hunts we have to use no. 11 Caps exposed to the elements, Open sights, and either Lead Conicals, or Patched Roundball. And in my Humble Opinion, in General firearm season why bother with an Inline set up the same way as a Centerfire, and then have to clean it after you get home. I’ve got enough on my hands getting my animal skinned, all the mess cleaned up, etc. And Then to have to go in and start breaking down and Cleaning a Dirty Muzzleloader, Nah not for me! In General firearm season i would much rather Grab 1 of my Centerfires and Go.

As far as accuracy between the 2, I feel confident i can compete with, and in many cases outperform ANY inline when both guns are on the same playing field, Open sights, Lead Conicals, No. 11 Caps, loose powder.

To each his own, i have nothing against inlines whatsoever, I keep thinking about buying a really nice old MK-85 just for the fact that they are an Iconic old Inline that was ahead of it’s time. I have had MANY opportunities to own 1 over the last few years but stil haven’t jumped in on it. Idahoron has at least 1 MK-85, Maybe more? Ron has told me many times that his Sidelocks are more accurate, and much easier to clean. That alone is enough to make me think twice about buying one.

Your state is stricter than most. My state is kind of in the middle. No scopes, pellets, or sabots but most everything else is legal.

Inlines have their advantages. I just like sidelocks better. You have a fast twist sidelock. I don't think that's much better than an inline. I feel sidelocks should be slow twist PRB shooters. I'm pretty strict with myself on sidelocks. It has to be all primitive or it loses it's appeal to me.

I shoot an inline in rifle seasons because I like muzzleloaders. An inline shooting BH 209 is just as easy and fast to clean as a CF rifle. A sidelock shooting real BP takes the longest to clean.

My problem is my vision is way beyond the point of using open sights. I put a 1X scope on my inline to just give me a clear sight picture. I was looking for an advantage by using magnification. I just want to see the target and sight clearly. I'm tired of looking at a blurry world. At least when I shoot I can see. I would never put a scope on a sidelock, so switching to a sidelock is not really a good idea for me. I'm just really stubborn about giving something up that I like. Such is life.

btw...For what reason would a sidelock be more accurate than an inline?

I just scraped up some credit. I may get the sidelock after all.

I told you I was stubborn. :D

Anybody interested in a brand new Accura V2 camo SS that's unshot? BH 209 breech plug, two bottles of BH, 200 Fed 209a primers, two packs of Barnes 290gr T-EZ, DNZ scope mount, Leupold 1x4x20 brand new scope all goes with it. Maybe a new gun case too. It's too short for a sidelock.

Latest posts

Back