how loose can sabots be?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
I ordered green smooth harvester sabots and 240gr .429 xtp bullets and just tried loading them in the rifle-no powder to check fit and they seemed about medium for pressure. Other setups ive used have always been kind of hard to start but these seemed to have a little less pressure to start/load. when I pushed them back out the muzzle from breach end the sabots had about medium rifling marks. I'm just trying to make sure my fitment is good before shooting them.

No issue with Black Powder, but with BH209 you might get a dud as it needs back-pressure (tight fit) (compression helps too) to get good ignition.

Medium pressure as you describe is about what I look for in a loading pressure. It should be a little difficult to start but once the sabot is engraved it should push down smoothly without excess effort. I wouldn't say it needs so much a real tight fit as a good firm seat on the powder for Black Horn.

rangerod said:
Medium pressure as you describe is about what I look for in a loading pressure. It should be a little difficult to start but once the sabot is engraved it should push down smoothly without excess effort.
I would say a kid could start these and push the rod is why I had concerns. I have had others where it takes a lot of force to start them and seat them and always figured that was proper.

Some of it will depend on the bullet and how much it obturates upon ignition. Keep in mind a clean barrel will load differently than a fouled barrel.

In general........... with a clean bore, I've found sabot/bullets loaded in clean barrels at approximately 32fpf were extremely accurate. On a fouled barrel, using BH209, the rifles were loading at average of 52fpf. These rifles were extremely accurate. Bullet seating forces fouled, on average, using BH209 were a 2 handed thump, which averaged 106fpf.
Measured with precision equipment.

Re: RE: Re: how loose can sabots be?

rangerod said:
That does sound like it might be a little on the loose side. You could try the MMP sabot or a .430 bullet.
Xtp s
c2a14d792f5b957606bbcf3482b8c3af.jpg

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Just go to a .430 bullet. The Hornady 265gr FP is designed for the 444 Marlin and would be ideal for what you are trying to do...

cljohnson24 said:
Just go to a .430 bullet. The Hornady 265gr FP is designed for the 444 Marlin and would be ideal for what you are trying to do...

I just checked my bullets and they are .430. I will checkout the 265gr also, thanks. :)

Also, M-L bores can vary a bit. In my experience, TC often averages tighter than most Knights. It should only take a little experimentation and you will an ideal fit.

For the most part I use the 'Crush-Rib' sabots from Harvestor, though most of the supplied sabots work O.K. In my Knights. My buddy has a TC, he almost needs the crush rib, some of the supplied sabots are to tight for his bore.

I like things a hair on the easy side, as long as accuracy is fine. I don't do any swabbing between shots, there may be more deer to deal with. :D

I couple of my rifles shoot best with really tight sabots and BH209. My NULA however shoots insanely well with easy loading sabots and powder i cant mention in this section. :D It actually performs worse with very tight sabots.

Latest posts

Back