How many Hunt with their Ramrods in place?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first and only Omega had barrel harmonics so violent as to broke the fiberglass ramrod about every 3 shots, the last 4 inches or so snapped off. I replaced 4 ramrods and then got rid of the offending rifle. I always hunt with the ramrod in. HUMOR FONT ON. At the range I shoot with the ramrod in the barrel. JUST KIDDING.

That ramrod will not make one bit of difference in point of impact.

Shoot either way.

If a person claims it does at different yardage, they need to relearn how to shoot a gun. It is all in their head.
Really???? Might want to discuss that with people that shoot competitively and/or long range.

Mine is always in the thimbles whether at the range, hunting, or locked in my vault. That way I know where it is and have it when needed. I use a range rod when shooting targets, ramrod just along for the ride.

I’ve tested on the shooting range at 100, I believe (years ago) with my Knight 1:20 and found no difference in impact on paper.
I usually only use the factory rod while hunting. Most of the year while just shooting without, as I like range rods.

Add: a few of my original ML have no ramrod provision.

Last edited:
I practice just like I hunt, it’s all about consistency for me. I load with the ramrod at the range the same as in the field. I have a range rod but only use it for cleaning.

It never really occurred to me to shoot without one in place since I’ll never hunt that way, at least not on purpose.

I have always hunted with my ramrod in place. In fact, I have even started putting a small twig between the rod and my barrel to stop them from making the tinny aluminum rod sound that me and all my Knight buddies have experienced.

That said, I just got my CVA MR-X which has the ramrod in the pouch. I can see where I should be able to make it work, attach the pouch to my Molle straps on the bottom of my Marsupial bino harness, then it will always be there. But I also get the feeling I am about to start losing my rod. Ughh.

I always leave in the gun. I lost it last year walking in. Had snow so found it when went back lookin.

I have a range rod, For range, first hunting shot, have only had to reload once while muzzleloader hunting.

Yes really.
I guess that shows how little you know about long range hunting/shooting or competitive shooting.

How many ramrods are in these rifles?

Inline Hunters Match May 2020 | Precision Muzzle Loading at the NMLRA - YouTube

Great Shots are Made at Great Distances | Long Range Muzzle Loading | NMLRA - YouTube

July 2020 APEX HUNTER Long Range Precision Muzzle Loading Rifle Match | NMLRA - YouTube

That ramrod will not make one bit of difference in point of impact. ........ If a person claims it does at different yardage, they need to relearn how to shoot a gun. It is all in their head.

I believe all those shooters in those videos know how to shoot a gun and its not in their heads.

Its not going to make any significant difference for the hunter that's only taking shots a game from 25yds to 200yds but, beyond that it can certainly make a difference.

I never thought much about it till now. When I'm at the range, the ramrod is usually out because I use it as I don't have a range rod.
It's just easier to leave it on the table.
Always in place when hunting. To my eye, the POI doesn't change.
If I've missed a shot, it's on me, not where my ramrod is.
This is how I normally have mine as well. With my limited experience, it doesn't seem to affect the accuracy in my rifle. Not that I can tell anyway. I only use mine for hunting and shots are close.

Off a bench and a rest I think it can matter IF the gun is rested on the rod between the thimbles instead of off the forearm. Then if used in the field where the gun is shot off-hand or off a rest that doesn't put the weight on the rod as it was shot off a rest it can or will result in a change in poi. As I've mentioned I always have the rod in my guns at the range. I the field I always put the rod back in the thimbles before I shoot....off-hand, rested, whatever.

Just my .02 ...I keep my factory rod in the thimbles BUT I do carry my "quick draw" rod with a permanent "T" handle and bullet aligner that fits my Barnes 290 grain bullet in a sleeve in my day pack. I guess you could call it a quiver of sorts. Again, sorta like Ford vs Chevy vs all the rest of the makes. To each his own😀

Back