How much weight can lube add?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcnull2305

Reaction score
...or, How much weight would a lube glob add if a lube glob could - never mind!

To all you's bullet casting types:

I know a lot of you are very persnickety about bullet weights. I was wondering; 1. how much weight could be added by lube, 2. How much can that weight vary, and 3. Does it matter?

for example: If i have a load of bullets that are very close in weight - say within 1 or so grains of one another - could the addition of lube create a larger spread in weight, and if so, will that ultimately matter when the smoke clears.

And just for reference, this is my setup:

Das Hawken.jpg
It's a T/C Hawken with a Oregon Barrel Company barrel. I haven't measured it in a while, but it's somewhere between 12 and 73 inches (I'm terrible with estimates), 1:48 twist. I'm now running a Treso Ampco #11 nipple, 2F Swiss powder, .58 caliber felt wads under the listed bullet.

and yes, dammit, I just did whatever IdahoLewis told me to! and Guess what?? If I watch any more of Stacy Porter's YouTube videos, I'm probably gonna get a lathe, a mill, and a bunch of other machinery with which I'll systematically remove all my appendages!

but I digress...

I got these bullets from a very highly recommended maker who stated they were designed to properly stabilize in a 1:48 twist barrel.

Das Boolits.jpgDas Weight.jpg

Now these projectiles vary in weight more than I thought they should after reading a lot of info posted by those of you who know, but I weighed them, obviously, after lube was applied, and wondered if the lube could account for the larger deviations in weight.

Weigh them before lubing, after lubing, and then after sizing. I used to and i think i was seeing 6-10? grains added. In the end it didnt seem to make any dif if i started with dry bullets within a grain of each other. So i found other things to obsess over. Like will the dodgers win the stanley cup bowl next year

It doesn't matter with muzzleloader BP shooting.

Latest posts

Back