Howdy from AZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing ! ..... having to put a bid in for BH209 on GunBroker.com , cant find it available anywhere !!!
[/QUOTE]
Just my .02, when I really need BH 209 I start a marathon calling campaign LOL. I call each sporting good store where there's a chance of it being there every day and its amazing the results. Six months ago you'd think there was none on Earth and the next day when I'd call, the guy on the other end says in a matter of fact tone, "oh yeah we got some." Crazy. The last time it was Cabelas in West Phoenix. I zipped out there and right there on the shelf were 8 -10 oz. bottles (no limit, but I just got 2.) I DID get a surprise because I had paid like $46 last year for a bottle there, but when I walked up to the check out (I failed to ask or see the current price when I got them in my hands) it was $64 each. So probably like every other "monkey in the zoo" I sight in each year with T7 and when I'm close the BH comes out.

New to sight , been shooting smoke poles for a few years . Started out with T/C Hawken . 45 & T/C Hawken .50 & .54 ... bought my first in-line Remington ML , then went to a Knight 209 Disc .50 ( all iron sights ) . Just purchased the CVA Paramount Pro .50 Colorado, for an AZ elk hunt this year, will not be using the Williams sights included with model and want to run a 3-9X 40mm , just not sure what to pair it with ....working with a $500- $600 budget. Have hunted Oregon, TX , NM , AZ & MN .... looking forward to this years elk hunt, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Congrats what unit you get drawn in ?

Welcome from a fellow new guy. I drew a late muzzleloader elk tag for three bee in AZ. Looks like it could be a hard hunt, especially if it snows. I drew a six A archery tag in 2016 and had a great time. Got into the elk on the last day but didn't fill my tag. I'm looking forward to getting back out to AZ. Good luck on your hunt!

i haven't hunted 3b but know quite a few guy's who hunt there tough hunt for sure if it snows i would prefer a snow hunt myself compared to my september hunt but gotta take what you can get here lately tough to get drawn here with so many more people moving here good luck and safety to you guys lets all fill our tags this year !!

Welcome from a fellow new guy. I drew a late muzzleloader elk tag for three bee in AZ. Looks like it could be a hard hunt, especially if it snows. I drew a six A archery tag in 2016 and had a great time. Got into the elk on the last day but didn't fill my tag. I'm looking forward to getting back out to AZ. Good luck on your hunt!
I’ve killed 4 bulls and 3 cows In 3b. One bull during archery and the rest with a CVA 50 cal Accura. 3b does not have any rifle hunts so there is an early ML hunt.
for the late post Thanksgiving hunt there is a very good likelihood for snow. If it really snows hard the elk move out of the forest into the meadows in the north part of the unit. If your just hunting for meat look at the large herds of cows and you’ll find a young spike or two in the heard. These can be found anywhere in the unit. For these large herds if there is snow you’ll find tracks…lots of them. We usually are done in two days if we are meat hunting:)
The forest service roads are not plowed so have a good 4WD.

Good Luck.

During the late hunt You would be lucky to find a bull 300+ in 3B just walking around as they are few a far between but they are there. It kind of depends on how much effort you put into it. Scout several weeks prior to the hunt, know the unit, and hunt the entire open season and you should be able to find one. It will not be like Unit 1 where its a bit easier to find them. Unit 1 is adjacent to 3b so that might be a good place to look. The one we killed during archery season was 325 but that was during the rut. During the late hut I've seen several 300+ but never closed the deal. That unit has a lot of people out running the forest service roads in their UTV's and campers so my advise it to hike as far away from them as possible. If there is snow there will be fewer people camping so that is good.

During the late hunt You would be lucky to find a bull 300+ in 3B just walking around as they are few a far between but they are there. It kind of depends on how much effort you put into it. Scout several weeks prior to the hunt, know the unit, and hunt the entire open season and you should be able to find one. It will not be like Unit 1 where its a bit easier to find them. Unit 1 is adjacent to 3b so that might be a good place to look. The one we killed during archery season was 325 but that was during the rut. During the late hut I've seen several 300+ but never closed the deal. That unit has a lot of people out running the forest service roads in their UTV's and campers so my advise it to hike as far away from them as possible. If there is snow there will be fewer people camping so that is good.
Thanks for the info

Thank you Mango1!

New to sight , been shooting smoke poles for a few years . Started out with T/C Hawken . 45 & T/C Hawken .50 & .54 ... bought my first in-line Remington ML , then went to a Knight 209 Disc .50 ( all iron sights ) . Just purchased the CVA Paramount Pro .50 Colorado, for an AZ elk hunt this year, will not be using the Williams sights included with model and want to run a 3-9X 40mm , just not sure what to pair it with ....working with a $500- $600 budget. Have hunted Oregon, TX , NM , AZ & MN .... looking forward to this years elk hunt, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
What are the rules and regs for muzzle loading elk in Arizona? I called AZFG And they basically told me if it loads from the muzzle, yur good to go. I'm mostly concerned about what powders that are allowed. I would like to use smokeless if possible..

What are the rules and regs for muzzle loading elk in Arizona? I called AZFG And they basically told me if it loads from the muzzle, yur good to go. I'm mostly concerned about what powders that are allowed. I would like to use smokeless if possible..
Any powder is ok just needs to front load

Welcome from another AZ member!

Latest posts

Back