Howdy from AZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the rules and regs for muzzle loading elk in Arizona? I called AZFG And they basically told me if it loads from the muzzle, yur good to go. I'm mostly concerned about what powders that are allowed. I would like to use smokeless if possible..
FROM AZGFD: “Muzzleloading rifle” means a firearm intended to be fired

from the shoulder, incapable of firing fixed ammunition,

having a single barrel, and loaded through the muzzle

with black powder or synthetic black powder and a sin-

gle projectile.

FROM AZGFD: “Muzzleloading rifle” means a firearm intended to be fired

from the shoulder, incapable of firing fixed ammunition,

having a single barrel, and loaded through the muzzle

with black powder or synthetic black powder and a sin-

gle projectile.
Glad you sent that so it's not ok for smokeless it seems

Any powder is ok just needs to front load
Any powder, any scope, and any caliber as long as it loads from the front. I am shooting a Paramount 40 cal with a Leupold Mark 4 MRAD scope. The scope is a bit of overkill but I had it in my Safe unused. With Parker 250 gr bullets and BH 209 (good luck finding that), it shoots 1.5 inch groups at 300 yards and has a MV of 2500 ft/sec. You can load it hotter but 120 gr (v), has given me the best performance (include reduced recoil).

Any powder, any scope, and any caliber as long as it loads from the front. I am shooting a Paramount 40 cal with a Leupold Mark 4 MRAD scope. The scope is a bit of overkill but I had it in my Safe unused. With Parker 250 gr bullets and BH 209 (good luck finding that), it shoots 1.5 inch groups at 300 yards and has a MV of 2500 ft/sec. You can load it hotter but 120 gr (v), has given me the best performance (include reduced recoil).
What's your source that says "any powder"? I'd like to see it. Smokeless is NOT a "BP substitute".

I just read the regulations it's black powder and black powder substitute does not refer to smokeless. I use bh 209 in my modern smokepole and real black in my percussion rifles. my apologies to the o.p. I haven't read that in a while and gave incorrect information. It will be a great hunt this year there was acorns on almost every tree during my elk hunt. I'm taking my custom grrw-ca 58 hawken this year put all that money to some good use !

What's your source that says "any powder"? I'd like to see it. Smokeless is NOT a "BP substitute".
You are correct it does not say smokeless. My bad, but I will ask a friend that is an AZGF supervisor Just to be sure. I did find this which my have some insight Muzzleloader law breakdown throughout the western states . If you look at states like Colorado, New Mexico and others it specifically says No Smokeless. Kind of confusing,

Back