huge velocity differences !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just asking BC ...... but why would the chrony read seemingly somewhat accurate with the other bullets but be consistantly so much slower/wrong on the carnivores ? the bore driver was the only other bullet that has a sabot that detaches after firing .... is it possible that the bore driver sabot was still intact with the bullet when it went through the chrony ? or maybe the chrony needs cleaning from ML powder residue collecting on the sensors ?
Cleaning is definitely something I need to do on it! Thank you for the reminder!

Thanks Swamp, you are right -this isn't a super precise test. I don't take it as knocking at all, I truly appreciate it.

To provide some background, I get asked to do these videos by folks that, from my understanding, are just going hunting a few days a year. They aren't using drop tubes, they are measuring by volume and they aren't cleaning for a follow-up shot.

My main goal for the test was to see the accuracy with the same load out of the same gun, but I always get questions about speed so I try to include the chronograph. Perhaps on this round, it was so inconsistent it is detracting from the purpose?

I'm humbled the video is even being discussed, thank you all. I really enjoy learning from the forum.
I genuinely appreciate the videos you put out. They have helped me when I was next to clueless as to what I was doing. I'm not so much into the traditional side of muzzys, but certainly respect you gentlemen that do. Keep up the good work and let's get an update on that Accura LR v2. I haven't seen that thing in some time.

I genuinely appreciate the videos you put out. They have helped me when I was next to clueless as to what I was doing. I'm not so much into the traditional side of muzzys, but certainly respect you gentlemen that do. Keep up the good work and let's get an update on that Accura LR v2. I haven't seen that thing in some time.

Thanks so much! I fixed the Chrono for the most part, will be back on the range soon.

Ethan, I love your videos and its great that you take the time to do them for us. The original post made it sound like this was a velocity comparison test, and thats how I took it. so if that was wrong I'm sorry. Finding how things work out for a particular rifle is what makes this sport fun. I go into all kinds of details to try and squeak out the best I can in all my shooting. I really enjoy the videos you make, and please keep doing them.

Make yourself a drop tube if you don't have one. Buy a piece of brass tubing and flare one end. I put mine thru a powder funnel used for modern cartidge reloading. It works amazing, and will keep consistent powder charges down in breech.
Swamp,
I am in the dark about drop tubes.
Just how do they help with consistency? How much of a benefit can be expected? Do serious target shooters use them?

Swamp,
I am in the dark about drop tubes.
Just how do they help with consistency? How much of a benefit can be expected? Do serious target shooters use them?
Only a slim few use drop tubes with modern inlines. Never used one and really never need one.
I did not review the video but, testing has already shown that tighter is better.

Latest posts

Back