Huntsman breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone tell me the size of flash hole used in the MU plug. I have access to pin gauges and would like to check it.

I have been using the MU plug for 5 years and have been having primers sticking for the last 2 years.

After reading what has been posted here I was thinking the flash hole might have something to do with the issue I am having.

Thank you guys for all the information I get here.

Measure the inside thread diameter of your breech. If you have the 5/8" threaded breech, I have a clean, very lightly used first-model Metrics Unlimited, Inc. breech plug I'll send you (along with a 10-pack of O-rings) at no charge. I am assuming you want to use 209 shotgun primers; the Huntsman was also made with a #11 percussion cap breech. But, I'll take a shot in the dark and assume your rifle was a 209 primer model and that's how you want to use it.

The first Metrics Unltd. model has a shallower 1/2" hex head than their later models, but you can still easily turn it in & out with a standard 1/2" socket. The OEM plug required a goofy proprietary socket adaptor-type tool supplied with new rifles if I recall correctly, and I imagine a replacement might be hard to find.

I have one of the newer version Metrics Unltd. plugs with deeper hex flats installed (and 2 spares on hand for future use) in an H&R Sidekick that originally came with the OEM "flagged carrier" abomination. Having used both, I most fervently assure you that you do NOT want the OEM version! There are other threads on this forum explaining why not. A few years ago I gave away the OEM breech plug, socket tool, and about 40 unused primer carriers for it. I still feel guilty about sending that junk to the poor soul who asked for it.

If you have the 7/8" threaded breech, I can't help you but you can get in touch with the maker through the contact info at www.metricsunlimited.com.
I could user the 5/8 plug just picked up sidekick nef for 40 bucks for my son but desperately want upgrade breach for him I didn't know needed the plastic things and well they hated find if u still have the clean lightly used 5/8 plug for ther 209s I would be more than happy to buy it thanks so much

You'd be better off reaching out to metrics unlimited and get a plug or two.

40 bucks you got the deal of the year. These guns are tack drivers with just about anything you push down the bore .

You'd be better off reaching out to metrics unlimited and get a plug or two.

40 bucks you got the deal of the year. These guns are tack drivers with just about anything you push down the bore .
Thanks for info

Just get one from Cecil.

I got two from Metrics last year and they both leaked because the primer pocket was too big.

Did you use lowes number 60 O ring ?

Yes, but leakage was not at the bottom.

Metrics bored the pocket diameter so big that the primer swelled to the point that the cup blew loose at the top. They were nice enough to send a second, but it was the same way. I even sent the measurements from my very first plug that did not leak and he was unable to match his dimensions.

Very odd ....mine have been superb but I have them from the very start when busta helped engineer them.

I could user the 5/8 plug just picked up sidekick nef for 40 bucks for my son but desperately want upgrade breach for him I didn't know needed the plastic things and well they hated find if u still have the clean lightly used 5/8 plug for ther 209s I would be more than happy to buy it thanks so much
Long gone, sorry.

You can get one from Cecil. Although I'm not a fan of him after myself and Busta helped him correct the issues with his measurements.

NEF Sidekick

If it's a NEF Huntsman .50 caliber, it will have a 2 letter prefix to the serial #. If it is a .50 caliber Huntsman barrel fitted to another frame through the barrel program it could be just about any prefix.

2002 - 2004 use 7/8" Breech Plugs.

NS = 2002
NT = 2003
NU = 2004

2005 on use 5/8"Breech Plugs.

NV = 2005
NW = 2006
NX = 2007

Metrics Unlimited or Precision Rifle Bullet are both options for bare primer 209 ignition. You don't even want to see the OEM Beech Plug with the orange primer carriers.
Any buddy use pyrodex pellets instead of powder in 50cal huntsman

Latest posts

Back