Huntsman breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a bolt is set properly there is no camming action on the primer. Same with a break action. That's what your after with head spacing being correct whether it be the breech of an inline gun or a center fire. I think your boring the breach plug to the primer might be the best way to go. You might have to do a little lapping to get it correct. Messing with a primers size is more than I want to do. It's like shooting at a moving target.
Your left with what the primer manufacturer gave you. For me the O ring gives a little cushion with a seal. Very simple ! .005 is not much crush in my opinion. Might be about right for an inline ML. I have not gone that route and would never consider it with a primer module gun or bolt gun. Like everything to just be snug with no gas leakage.

I can tell beyond a shadow of a doubt the Knight Extreme type bolt cams forward and when set up right you get some primer crush from it camming forward. At zero crush primers will stick occasionally. No ifs, ands or butts about it. Primers grow when shot if not supported in any plug. The anvils back out of the cup once a certain load (pressure) is reached. Correct primer fit is everything in this game if you want the least amount of headache. OD, length and taper all need to be considered when choosing a primer for your particular plug. Only reason i would like to get the NSIs to fit in mine is they are just as long, just as hot and cheap. Plus a local shop stocks them in packs as small as 100.
331d3jb-jpg.6899

Last edited:
I have A Night Mountaineer bare primer conversion. This gun is not one of my favorites. I have to use a primer holding tool to prime the gun. The barreled action was not well bedded in the stock. The double safety is a bit of over kill. I think the gun could do better with a little bigger bolt handle.
Lock speed is average. Barrel is very good, Gun fit to shoulder is good. Ramrod is great. I couldn't pass on the gun, I paid $500 new shipped to me.
I have shot it very little but it doesn't seem to care what 209 primer is used and I don't care if the primer leaks or not
I know Knight has had some ups and downs with a fairly broad range of products. My serial # is S001673 with a non thumbhole stock (Laminate)
Not bashing Knight , I'm sure there are folks that love them. It's all good! Gm Your primer chart is dated 2009 11Years old I wonder if anything has changed? Probably not or if so not much.

Knights OEM plugs are not the same as a Lehigh and the Lehigh costs less. Lehigh made theirs to fit the Win209 the best and it does that very well. They are also made from 17-4 instead of cheaper 416ss. No tool is needed if you use the NFPJ conversion and FPJ bolt instead of the bare primer bolt body. I have both and prefer the full Lehigh conversion vs the bare primer bolt.

I have shot it very little but it doesn't seem to care what 209 primer is used and I don't care if the primer leaks or not

Mine come out spotless. Its not all that hard to achieve. Saves me time on cleaning and all that primer energy goes where it belongs.....to the powder. I cant imagine why anything else would be tolerated given the choice.
vC3gfMD.jpg

Ma4rjhQ.jpg

JMtEnrj.jpg

VZR3R6m.jpg

I understand , The Knight bare primer system is easy to improve on. I'm not a great advocate of a Knight gun. There are better guns for the dollar . Enjoy shooting yours! I have other guns that work at much higher pressures that work much smother, stay cleaner, and more accurate. The 209 primer is best suited to lower working pressure guns.

All i did with mine is replace the plug for $16.50 + shipping. Pretty hard to beat that, it cost less than a CVA QRBP. No shims or orings were needed. Never failed to fire even using a WinT7 primer. Max BH209 loads and a 385gr pill aint no slouch in terms of pressure although im sure my NULA loads produce far more peak. Probably around 35Kpsi which is not likely you will ever make that much with BH209. Ive yet to see any BH209 45cal trace break 33kpsi but i bet the newer 40cals are up there.

I was thinking in the range of about 30,000 PSI and below as low working.
For me higher pressure starts @ 30,000 up to around mid 45,000 to 50,000 PSI Not Kpsi or Cup.
Very difficult to get above 30,000 PSI with Black powder or it's substitutes even with the heaviest bullets, the powder burn reaches a point of no return and goes out the barrel with lost energy.
The 40 cal. smokeless guns can be finicky and unpredictable. They are being shot in the very high pressure range of working pressures. I think the bullet base area and the quick let down of pressure in a muzzle loader has something to do with it. Haven't built a 40 and have no intention of doing so until someone makes a good 40 cal boat tail bullet for a ML. Can't see it happening in a 1 piece bullet.

Gm Your primer chart is dated 2009 11Years old I wonder if anything has changed?

The 20 Nobel 688s i just checked are pretty close to the old numbers. Maybe a tiny bit larger on both OD and OAL. They were out of the 209/686s. Since the Fiocchi i had before are so short i had no desire to add another pack to my stash that i cant use in my plugs. The 688s however are NSIs version of a mag primer and 50cents cheaper per 100. They were worth my time to investigate and maybe fit one of my plugs for them too.

Haven't built a 40 and have no intention of doing so until someone makes a good 40 cal boat tail bullet for a ML.

They do but you would probably need to move upto a 416 build and the appropriate sizing die. Swinglock 416s have been shot past 800yards with amazing accuracy AND 209 primers.

What are you calling a swing lock
The 20 Nobel 688s i just checked are pretty close to the old numbers. Maybe a tiny bit larger on both OD and OAL. They were out of the 209/686s. Since the Fiocchi i had before are so short i had no desire to add another pack to my stash that i cant use in my plugs. The 688s however are NSIs version of a mag primer and 50cents cheaper per 100. They were worth my time to investigate and maybe fit one of my plugs for them too.

They do but you would probably need to move upto a 416 build and the appropriate sizing die. Swinglock 416s have been shot past 800yards with amazing accuracy AND 209 primers.

🙋‍♂️... I'm looking for one. NEF Hunstman .50 cal requiring the 7/8" variety. MU doesn't make them anymore. I called them 3 days ago. PR has them but they are pricey and I've heard the quality is not he best. The hearsay was from years ago, I'm not sure if they've refined them or not.

There's a gentleman on another forum saying that he took some WSM brass and turned it into a carrier for the stock breech plug. Using an o-ring and LR primers. Sounds pretty sketchy to me.

but I like the WSM system - thanks for the tip. I hadn't picked up a factory breech plug tool or made that yet either.

I belive after I discovered cecils errors, busta corrected and squared him away . He won't get any money from me after that issue . Let alone very over priced .

I hope busta is OK I would have thought he would have chimed in by now

If it's a NEF Huntsman .50 caliber, it will have a 2 letter prefix to the serial #. If it is a .50 caliber Huntsman barrel fitted to another frame through the barrel program it could be just about any prefix.

2002 - 2004 use 7/8" Breech Plugs.

NS = 2002
NT = 2003
NU = 2004

2005 on use 5/8"Breech Plugs.

NV = 2005
NW = 2006
NX = 2007

Metrics Unlimited or Precision Rifle Bullet are both options for bare primer 209 ignition. You don't even want to see the OEM Beech Plug with the orange primer carriers.
How can I get a 7/8 modern breach plug

Back