I can't catch a break!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bear Claw said:
Sharpsman said:
Bear Claw said:
Yeah, if I keel over just as I put a maxiball into a bear up at Mineral Basin i'll go out with a smile on my face.  :shooter:
Are you bear hunting now...season in??
 It's a recent decision, so I didn't put in for a bear tag this year. I'm hoping for a leftover, or as a last resort, I can get a muzzy bear tag. They're OTC. Muzzy tag is only 9 days and the bear rifle seasons is the whole month of Sept. I want that one, because of the length of the season and no muzzy restrictions. So, I can use any bullet. I can also use a CF if I want to. Which i'm considering so i'll have a back up shot. I hunt alone and don't own a handgun.

I'd like to specialize in bear hunting. I like the long season in a good month to hunt the Rockies. I tried to retire from hunting. I really did. I can't do it. I guess i'll hobble around the mountains hunting until I keel over or a bear eats me.

In honor of the bear hunter in the Jerimiah Johnson movie I took his name. :)

I'll still elk and deer hunt, but bear will be my main focus.

That was a funny scene. After seeing it about 7-8 times I still crack up seeing it again.

They showed that movie again a few nights ago. I always enjoy watching it.

Hope you avoid any flooding problems!
I've dealt with the effects of a flood in Virginia due to the remnants of a hurricane. A little, knee-high creek had the average flow of the Potomac River and 3/4 of the flow the the Hudson River due to an official 29" of rain in 8 hours and unofficial 31" in the same period - 10,000 feet per second. There were disposal diapers in the tops of 30 ft sycamore trees. Boulders the size of buses were rolled downstream. Something like 120 or more people lost their lives.

It was a 1/10,000 year flood. A few years later, there was another 1/10,000 year flood in the same area! How does a 1/10,000 year flood occur twice in just a few years! Because what has been called a 1/10,000 year flood doesn't really mean it is a flood that might occur once in 10,000 years. It means that in any one year, there is a 1 in 10,000 chance, or 0.0001 chance that there would be a flood that size in any one year!
Ron (whose hobby budget is under water)

Hurricane Camille's remains I believe that was. 1969? I remember the aftermath flooding in Richmond. It was for sure a mess!
Glenn

That was Camille, and it was followed a few years later by Hurricane Agnes.  I have some photos taken in Richmond at the time and there are highway ramps that are indicated only by signs sticking up out of the water.
It is hard to imagine about 30" of rain in 8 hours.
Ron

RonC said:
That was Camille, and it was followed a few years later by Hurricane Agnes.  I have some photos taken in Richmond at the time and there are highway ramps that are indicated only by signs sticking up out of the water.
It is hard to imagine about 30" of rain in 8 hours.
Ron
Several weeks after Camille I drove down to the coast and where hotels had been adjacent to the Gulf the only things remaining were the slabs and a lot of those, along with the highway were uprooted and shoved as far as 800 yards to one mile inland! We drove where the highway had been on a mound of sand the local engineers had graded up. In one of the hotels prior to the storm hitting shore there were a few idiots who declared "We're gonna ride the storm out here!" Well....they've NEVER been found! I think there's a quote in the bible that declares "Woe to the inhabitants of the seacoast!"

It doesn't pay to screw around with old Mother Nature!! :affraid:

We have a small shooting range but it's in Garvin county, 75 miles from home.   The Fort Sill private weapons range  was  nice  when the Sportsman's Center ran the place.   Some other Army  entity took over and the range went down hill fast.   Last time i fired there were no trash cans.   Now its "closed until further notice".   Rumor is there was an accident/incident of some kind.

Latest posts

Back