I can't catch a break!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bear Claw said:
Wow! You got lucky it didn't flood the house.
Pete

One of the great things about living in a small community is everybody knows everybody else! The local fire department came out and put polypipe around the entire house 'just in case' and we had no problem! There were areas I sprayed by aircraft years ago (formerly agricultural ground) that city slickers bought up and built high $$$$ homes on that had water up to the eaves of their homesites! Thousands of people were put out of their homes by this deluge! My grandmother told me years ago that we would never have to worry about flooding here and so far....she has been right....God Rest her soul! My family has been on this site since 1832! My great great grandpappy is buried near my home with all our folks!

27225161585_ba001c98db_b.jpg
Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

wow that is amazing! 1832.... It would be nice to find my family background. Thats a very special thing to know.

Looking at the first picture i said to myself, I'd own one hell of a big lawn mower lol

FrontierGander said:
wow that is amazing! 1832.... It would be nice to find my family background. Thats a very special thing to know.

Looking at the first picture i said to myself, I'd own one hell of a big lawn mower lol
I do...a John Deere 72" mower deck!

I mow 6 acres at homesite....not counting the airstrip and the rifle range! I mow those with a wide bush hog and tractor!

I don't worry about neighbors!

34542610245_6e013d5705_b.jpg
Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

When it's hot I just shoot under these oak trees here in my yard. Mound of dirt and a tgt board. Other range is 500 yards north of my home site! Can go back to 1400 yards. I test lots of firearms for various folks!

FrontierGander said:

First, Sharpy? Wow. Just wow. (and, slightly jealous! I want a range like that! :twisted:  Not sure I'd want to mow it...) And, some proud family history you still have contact with. Cool.

Second, FG? I have been doing some genealogy stuff lately. Familysearch.org is a free website 
run by members of the LDS community. I trust it. Genealogy is important to their belief system- as I understand it. It is intuitive and easy.

Anyway, it is a great place to start recording family trees. I also have access to Ancestry.com. But, that costs money. I use both as they provide different forms of help. I grew up with family history being pounded into me at the dinner table so I had a lot of oral tradition to draw from, but I have gotten back to Europe from six different places. That is much further than I thought would be possible.

I have been using what I discover to inform decisions on a rifle that I am slow-motion-building with the help of Hilljack. The search has been an bunch of fun and trying to apply it to our hobby is awesome. I think I may be frustrating Hilljack with my pace. (I think he thought I had died, at one point. Zombies could move faster.)

Anyway, give it a try.

I have had a  long term fantasy about having a shooting range near my house. I don't think that it ever will come about, but I can dream. So, I am envious, Sharpsman.
When my wife and I lived in the caretakers cottage of a Virginia estate, we had the space to build a range, but the estate owner wouldn't it permit it.
There was a time that we were going to consider a move to Picayune, MS. My biggest fear about living there was the problem of lowland flooding. Ultimately, we went to Colorado. With my home near 6000 ft altitude, and not close to any streams, we don't fear flooding.
Ron

Ron

My first venture into Colorado was when I was 20 years age....1960 and this was one low-land country boy that was awed by the beauty of the entire state! I was stationed at Ft. Carson before it was reactivated; that's where my AMU trained as there just wasn't enough provisional space at Ft. Benning for all of us. On weekends when we weren't training or giving a marksmanship clinic somewhere I drove the mountains in a 1950 two door black Chevy! Ugly SOB it was but it got me where I wanted to go and back again! One of my favorite places to drive was just west of Colorado Springs up on the Rampart Range Road that ran all the way to Denver atop a ridge. I took my NM M1 Garand with me and when I found a place that was right....I'd stop the car, get all my shooting gear out and pick a far off vertical wall on the side of a mountain and shoot at a spot I could discern. I'd set my spotting scope up such that at the shot I could lean slightly over and watch the POI through the scope and believe you me....I learned a lot about judging wind conditions shooting across canyons at distances I'd guess out to 1500 yards...or more! I put Angie in the truck about every three years and I make a commute back out to the high country as I can't stand being away any longer than that from all the beauty God saw fit to store there! I'm going to make a trip out to Devils' Tower soon and cut back southwest and cross over the Divide and go down to Silverton and eat me a nice ribeye steak at a restaurant I know about there! I think I'd have made a good Mountain Man provided I could have kept my hair! THAT....is a non issue at this stage of the game because no hair for an Injun to take!

As for Mississippi....there is high ground there but no mountains like where you are now! A really beautiful state south of Jackson and Vicksburg! Lots of deer and turkey! And once away from the cities....folks that are God fearing and tender to the heart! Their word is akin to putting money in the bank! You made a good choice however!

Take care....HOLD HARD & STAY CENTER!

Going to go get another one of these in about a week:

17179943196_3103190b81_b.jpg
Rickturk1 by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Angie and I at Mesa Verde two years back:

33359394483_6f118baa2f_b.jpg
Angela/Rick by Sharps Man, on Flickr

I really enjoyed reading your post, Sharpsman!
Ron

No, it's too tough for me.

Speaking of tearing up. I went for my first hard hike today in the mountains. I about killed myself. My back, hip, knees, and lungs were crying for mercy.

I have some work to do.

Bear Claw said:
No, it's too tough for me.

Speaking of tearing up. I went for my first hard hike today in the mountains. I about killed myself. My back, hip, knees, and lungs were crying for mercy.

I have some work to do.
Knees have been fairly good for me lately! I had  synthetic cartilage injected into my right knee about two years back and it's done one heck of a job! Doc told me I could have two shots a year if needed but so far....no problem but I think it will be needed soon! The dang herniated disc in my back is literally a PITA on occasion however! Pete....all these folks out running/hiking/riding bikes, etc. are NUTS! All they're doing is wearing their joints out and preparing themselves for an extra 18 months in an old folks home!!! Wife asked me "Where you wanna be buried?" I told her...."Wherever I hit!" :cheers: :affraid:

Yeah, if I keel over just as I put a maxiball into a bear up at Mineral Basin i'll go out with a smile on my face.  :shooter:

local lake rose 7 feet in 24 hours! There are rivers running throughout the area. I went to pueblo to see the doctor about my stomach, and every little creek is now a river. The antelope were out in full force too. Some real nice bucks out there this year.

no so much snow melt, but the rain Pete. Its raining again today. The amount of rain we're getting is just crazy.

Bear Claw said:
Yeah, if I keel over just as I put a maxiball into a bear up at Mineral Basin i'll go out with a smile on my face.  :shooter:
Are you bear hunting now...season in??

FrontierGander said:
no so much snow melt, but the rain Pete. Its raining again today. The amount of rain we're getting is just crazy.
 That adds to it, but it's not raining here and water flow is up. I can see the snow line it getting higher. That means snow melt.

Sharpsman said:
Bear Claw said:
Are you bear hunting now...season in??
 It's a recent decision, so I didn't put in for a bear tag this year. I'm hoping for a leftover, or as a last resort, I can get a muzzy bear tag. They're OTC. Muzzy tag is only 9 days and the bear rifle seasons is the whole month of Sept. I want that one, because of the length of the season and no muzzy restrictions. So, I can use any bullet. I can also use a CF if I want to. Which i'm considering so i'll have a back up shot. I hunt alone and don't own a handgun.

I'd like to specialize in bear hunting. I like the long season in a good month to hunt the Rockies. I tried to retire from hunting. I really did. I can't do it. I guess i'll hobble around the mountains hunting until I keel over or a bear eats me.

In honor of the bear hunter in the Jerimiah Johnson movie I took his name. :)

I'll still elk and deer hunt, but bear will be my main focus.

Latest posts

Back