I have a stuck bullet video

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the pictures of the barrel before and the bullet after

Attachments

• 20210822_100028.jpg
    20210822_100028.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210822_101916.jpg
    20210822_101916.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210822_101935.jpg
    20210822_101935.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Barrel before 1.jpg
    Barrel before 1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Barrel before 3.jpg
    Barrel before 3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 31
Pretty cool fix. What's that white stuff outside the window towards the end?

Thank you for taking time out of your day to teach us this simple but very effective technique.

This Tecnique works really well :lewis: I have used it 2 Different times to remove a STUCK Patched Jag, Both times were in an old Rotted out .50 Cal Renegade Barrel, Pitted BADLY at the Breech end (This is the Breech plug i used to “Cut Away” for educational purposes)

Thanks for the video. Hydraulics trumps bullet pullers, and compressed air/CO2 cartridges when it comes to a ball/bullet that is truly stuck. I think that it is like you said, most men would rather screw up a perfectly fine barrel with jury rig methods, as opposed to cleaning out a bore full of grease.

For the average stuck ball, and I don't see why it wouldn't work on a bullet if one's technique was modified just slightly, Dave Crissalli's, 10-in-1tool, which is aimed at the flintlock shooter, really makes a lot of sense.

There's no reason it can't be used with percussion rifles, you just have an extra tool in the flint knapping hammer.

The tool is called The Gunner's Mate. The company is The Lucky Bag.

THE LUCKY BAG

While some might consider it too expensive, at $88.00, I happen to think it is a bargain (used to be $65.00, but cost of brass went up). Handmade out of solid brass and blued steel.

The tool really comes into its own by CENTERING the drill bit for pilot drilling a hole in a stuck/dry balled patched ball, and keeping the the screw CENTERED in the bore so that it does not wander while screwing itself into the ball. And, furthermore, keeping the entire assembly CENTERED in the bore so as to try and prevent the screw from stripping itself out of the stuck ball.

This is where almost every homemade jury rig tool fails. The hole ends up being drilled off center in the ball, often marring the land & grooves in the process. When that happens, the screw cannot help but go into the ball off center, which ALMOST ALWAYS results in the screw stripping itself out of the ball. Then, the shooter tries to engage the screw into another part of the ball, which results in damaging the bore by gouging it with what most often is a sheet metal screw.

I think every sidelock muzzleloading shooter should have one of these in their pouch.

Something worth mentioning, those Long 1/4-28 Grease Zerks are not a common item like the Standard ones, at least around here anyway, They are a “Specialty” item. Back when i was looking for one I couldn’t find one anywhere around these Parts? I even tried Coeur d’Alene which is a Fairly good size City, Nobody had them.

The Long Zerk is needed to Clear the “Snail” of TC, GM Style Breech Plugs so the nozzle will fit over the Ball end

Your best bet is to order one like this
https://www.huyett.com/products/grease-fittings-lubrication/fittings/grease-fittings/a1680
https://zerksplus.com/zerks-1-4-28/

Great video. And who knew @idahoron was a hippie!? Shocked 😳 I tell you! Shocked!

He wasn’t always! This is the Idahoron i first met :lewis: I think we need to start a Poll on “Cut the Hair, or Not?”:roll:
Q1Ct4cN.jpg

Thank you very much for the video. Good to know cause some day I will need it.

As far as pictures go I was in Traverse City Michigan today doing my work. Lots of tourists. There was a beautiful lady ( I mean beautiful) setting up a camera on a very remote road. I initially thought she was having car trouble so intended to help. After I stopped it was obvious she was setting up for a photo. With nothing else to say I inquired if she would like me in her photo. She was polite but the answer was no. You probably will not se me in a photo or video. Some things are best left to the imagination. LOL

I really appreciate the video and helps me take one big step into a side lock world,, and I don't think you should shy away go ahead on with some dreadlocks

Great idea with the hair donation. Until then, head on up to Woodstock,
and tell Max Yasgar, that you're there to site in your "hot rod hawken".

Back