Ice fishing on Lake Superior

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thing is huge. Is it too big to keep?

I like to eat trout but lake trout aren't near as good as rainbows, cutthroats, or brookies. I never ate a brown trout or a Dolly Varden.

patocazador said:
That thing is huge. Is it too big to keep?

I like to eat trout but lake trout aren't near as good as rainbows, cutthroats, or brookies. I never ate a brown trout or a Dolly Varden.
I've eaten my share of "pond" Browns...not as good as brookies and closer to rainbows.  Haven't has enough lake trout though to taste-compare with other members of the trout family.

However, the native cold water, stream-birth Browns of Pennsylvania are delicious :!: .   You'll find these Brown natives in the PA Wild Trout Streams http://www.wildtroutstreams.com/streams/pa

My experience with Lake Trout is that you have to eat them right away fresh.  They don't have a shelf life at all.  If you put them in the freezer for awhile they have a real strong fish taste.  When I went ice fishing for them we might eat one or two small ones out on the ice and the rest was all catch and release.  Fun fish to catch because they fight all the to the top of the ice.

I have a inland lake house 25 miles from Lake Superior and ice fish it all the time.

Any lake trout under 27-30 inches is great eating.

Anything bigger, like the one in the video, is just too fatty to eat.

Almost all of the big lake trout are the "siskowet" strain, called fats locally.

The other two stains are leans and humpers.

The lean is the one you eat, the humpers are siskowet/lean crosses and if small are ok to eat, but a they get big they're no good.

Siskowets live very deep and their meat is very fatty, mostly inedible.

My other house is near Lake Michigan and I wouldn't eat ANY lake trout from there, too many pcb's etc. and they don't taste as good as from the cold, clean Lake Superior water.

I just caught this 23" brown trout last weekend. (We caught several splake, a lake trout/brook trout cross, as well).

We were fishing out in the Apostle Islands, about 5 miles out from Bayfield by snowmobile.

(If you look closely, you can see I'm wearing a zip up Mustad floatation vest under my parka.)

My best lake trout through the ice is a 36", 16 lber.

image2_zpsztgx0jxa.jpg

Good grief! All I can do is shake my head. Huge different VS our little stockers game and fish puts out in the lakes.

No need to freeze to catch the big ones. Catching them in the summer is much easier.

IMG_1098-615x446.jpg

100_0464-400x300.jpg

The only lake trout I ever ate were from Clearwater Lake near The Pas, Manitoba. They were smaller than 30" .. about 25" and still didn't taste that great. The walleye sure tasted good though.

Thunder53, my Mother and younger siblings lived near Spooner, Wisc. until she died. My youngest brother always had a stringer of trout it seems. They sure tasted good .. mostly rainbows.

patocazador said:
The only lake trout I ever ate were from Clearwater Lake near The Pas, Manitoba. They were smaller than 30" .. about 25" and still didn't taste that great. The walleye sure tasted good though.

Thunder53, my Mother and younger siblings lived near Spooner, Wisc. until she died. My youngest brother always had a stringer of trout it seems. They sure tasted good .. mostly rainbows.

Pato,

My lake house is only about an hour north of Spooner (Iron River, WI), I drive right past it on my way up!

Small world!

Gorgeous fish Muley!!

Always wanted to do some of that western stream/river fishing, just never had the chance.

Weirdly enough, I just really like ice fishing, especially up around the Apostle Islands, the scenery is awesome!

Must be in my Wisconsin DNA
icon_twisted.gif
  !!

In the summer I'm too busy shooting sporting clays and squeezing in time to shoot my muzzleloaders, a collection that keeps growing!!

Thunder53 said:
I have a inland lake house 25 miles from Lake Superior and ice fish it all the time.

Any lake trout under 27-30 inches is great eating.

Anything bigger, like the one in the video, is just too fatty to eat.

Almost all of the big lake trout are the "siskowet" strain, called fats locally.

The other two stains are leans and humpers.

The lean is the one you eat, the humpers are siskowet/lean crosses and if small are ok to eat, but a they get big they're no good.

Siskowets live very deep and their meat is very fatty, mostly inedible.

My other house is near Lake Michigan and I wouldn't eat ANY lake trout from there, too many pcb's etc. and they don't taste as good as from the cold, clean Lake Superior water.

I just caught this 23" brown trout last weekend. (We caught several splake, a lake trout/brook trout cross, as well).

We were fishing out in the Apostle Islands, about 5 miles out from Bayfield by snowmobile.

(If you look closely, you can see I'm wearing a zip up Mustad floatation vest under my parka.)

My best lake trout through the ice is a 36", 16 lber.

image2_zpsztgx0jxa.jpg
NICE Brown through the ice Thunder!  
 (Artificial or live bait for those big Browns if I might ask? :Hide:)

Back