If you like Pointy Bullets - Look

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Maybe we now have the Ultimate ML pointy bullet!

Some of you have already heard of Parker Bullets, either the Hydra-Cons or the Ballistic Extremes, well now Bob has added another the 325 grain Match/Hunter.

Parker is located over the hill from me, 10 miles away in Troy, Idaho, they have been making ML bullets for many years now and are offering this newest edition....

ParkerPointy.jpg

I must admit this information was found on RW's site so I am just basically bringing the information over here for those that like the Pointy things. I am sure that Randy's facination for them comes from the possibilities they have from a Smokeless Savage....

The matter at hand, though, is the latest and greatest from Parker: apparently the highest ballistic coefficient muzzleloading projectile ever released. Many of you are familiar with the .018 in. thick jacket Parker Ballistic Extreme saboted projectiles, offered in 250 grain and 275 grain versions. These have been the most popular of the Parker bullets for some time. The 275 grain Ballistic Extreme will be tested when the weather allows it in at least two of my regular test rifles, the Savage 10ML-II and the T/C Encore.

The big news from Bob Parker is this hand-crafted 325 grain .45 caliber Parker 325 Match/Hunter. And, extreme it certainly is with an eye-popping G1 ballistic coefficient of .430 printed right on the label. The Parker 325 Match/HunterIt is an aggressively profiled bullet, designed to cheat the wind as much as possible. My understanding is that this Parker 325 has a .028 in. jacket, making it more suitable for both high impact velocities and breaking bones.

The general standard in the industry has been the .50 caliber inline for many years. It currently offers the widest variety of bullet and sabot choices by a huge margin compared to other bores. As a generality, getting away from bore size for the same grain weight and profile of bullet offers external ballistics and better sectional density, the better sectional density meaning better penetration as a generalization. .45 caliber ballistics beat .50 caliber ballistics handily, so if possible it is a very easy choice to make. Along these lines, many have asked, ?So why not a .40?? Sure, the same comparison applies on the same basis, but .40 caliber bullets in 50 caliber sabots are often temperamental, although there are exceptions. The thinner the sabot, the prone the bullet is to canting or ****ing upon loading and often the thinner the sabot the cleaner release of the of the bullet from the sabot at the muzzle. These are trends, of course, not absolutes.

The 300 grain Hornady XTP, centered in the above picture, has a very good track record in offering good terminal performance on whitetail. It is a .452 diameter bullet, a hollow point, sectional density of .210, with a published static B.C. of .180 by Hornady. The hollow point doesn't help the flight characteristics, not does the cannelure on the jacket that tends to disrupt airflow compared to a smooth jacketed bullet. The cannelure, the french term for ring-like groove serves as a place to crimp brass onto a bullet, but serves no use in a saboted muzzleloading application.

Ballistic coefficients constantly vary in concert with velocity, range, and ambient conditions. It isn't an exact number, the Ingalls methodology has its issues. Sierra, for example, publishes multiple ballistic coefficients for most of their bullets in an attempt to compensate for the flaws in the Ingalls drag functions. Modern exterior ballistics has largely obsoleted drag coefficients altogether with Doppler radar ranges that allow precise projectile plotting. Nevertheless, B.C.'s are still used in the sporting world.

Downrange though, a better flying bullet makes a huge difference. Less velocity erosion, less wind drift, higher impact velocities, better tissue disruption, and better penetration capabilities all due to the higher impact velocities. Let's take a look how at how the 300 grain XTP compares to the Parker 325, assuming the identical launch velocity of 2200 fps. Since I've not had the chance to shoot Bob's new 325 through a pair of chronographs simultaneously yet to get my own ?shooting B.C.,? I'll use a more conservative than already estimated static B.C. (.430) for the Parker 325 at .400 for comparative purposes.

More information is available on Bob's blogger site... I just talked to Bob also and he wanted to mention the .430 BC is at 2700 FPS, which a mere mortal with a ML and BP or BP subs is not going to achieve....

http://www.parkerproductionsinc.blogspot.com/

They are very popular atm with use as a SML and sabotless bullet. Recoil is so hard that it can even reset the tang safety. :D

At $2 each it will likely be a niche product for sabotless use more so than in a sabot. SML 45cals will likely be the main market too.

GM54-120

I put them up just as an interest item... can not imagine I would ever shoot them here.

I am pretty well set with the Lehighs....

I grabbed some 275gr Traditions APB bullets last year from Natchez or Midsouth when they were on sale for $8.00. Made for Traditions but it's the Parker Ballistic Extreme bullet and they are accurate. They definitely are overpriced IMO if they had not been on sale.

From the Parker site on the 325gr Match/Hunter:
Velocity range 2250-3000fps
Point of shoulder/high shoulder shot bullet
BC .453 @2800fps

Definitely made for the smokeless shooter in mind.

They do make a great bullet.
I shot the BE's and the Hydra-cons and they grouped very nice with 100 grn BH-209
The HC would be my choice for hunting down here at the ranges I would be able to shoot.
I think I sent you some also,can't remember.

I just got some of the Lehigh 458 255gr and 300gr SOCOM Match bullets. Talk about a sweet looking bullet for 83 cents each. These babies are a thing of beauty and about 1.12" long. The 300s are only rated at .257 BC but they fit my 54x45 and 52x458 sabots perfectly.

458-120.jpg

I don't see much hunting potential unless i get a head shot at an elephant. :D

Critter said:
Straight through both shoulders of dang near anything GM!

Missouri requires an expanding bullet for deer hunting. NO FMJ allowed although i have used hard cast that barely expand with very good results on a high shoulder/spine shot.

Latest posts

Back