I'm Out Of It

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshot1

Reaction score
Ok this year we have worked up two Deer and I've been useless. Just finished an 8 Point Buck that was gave to us and my wife did most of it and I'm hurting so bad I can't walk.

Tried hunting a couple hours by the House and it was all I could take. My wife said get pilled up and go. Thing is if I do this I may not feel pain but can't focus on what I'm doing plus I don't need to be driving.

The other day I went to wash my Hands at the Lake and fell in my wife drug me out. Was burning Leaves around the house, I was Over Medicated so I wasn't feeling anything, I was on my knees lighting the Leaves, didn't have my Cane. I couldn't get away from the fire, my wife pulled me away.

Last couple years have been rough but still hunting. This year I can't do squat. My Garden is grown up in weeds, got almost two Winters worth of Firewood cut. My wife has been filling the Wood Box, not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to put wood in the Fireplace.

Told my wife anymore I feel so useless she says I'm good company I better be good because way it is I'm thinking all I'm doing is inhaling air someone else could use. :(

oneshot

If you can't hunt anymore without endangering yourself, perhaps you and your wife could write a life's diary including memorable moments and hunts. Your progeny would appreciate it.

My daughter has been after me for a couple of years now to do it but I never get around to starting.

Sorry to hear about your health problems, I know the feeling though not as bad as you. I have a bad back and both rotor cuff torn and non reparable. I have seen five surgeons and they all said the same thing, if they did repair them they would both tear again within six months. Just not enough left for them to work with. I can't hunt any more because I can't walk far enough, but I do get to the club and shoot on the ranges. Thank God for my friends that walk down and hang my targets when they do theirs.
Good luck and God Bless you

patocazador said:
If you can't hunt anymore without endangering yourself, perhaps you and your wife could write a life's diary including memorable moments and hunts. Your progeny would appreciate it.

My daughter has been after me for a couple of years now to do it but I never get around to starting.
Think older folks put off putting anything down, seems it always gets pushed back until its to late. I hear the same thing all the time. My wife knows very little about her family, the one that knew the most was her older brother and he took it to the grave with him. Now working on her family tree along with my families stuff. We have a fair start with the trees; hers goes back to 1641 when her family member came across the big pond. My family is close to her's starting in 1671 when arriving in New York city. The biggest problem is a family tree is just a bunch of names and dates, no real story with anyone other than a name. The guys on here many older ages still remember or know some stories of their grand parents or older. That information needs to be written up. Think about this guys, your the last chance of recording those special moments that you know.

Hang in there oneshot, perhaps friends can help you to a blind where you can have a rifle rest and then retrieve what you harvest.

I was luck enough to be in my 30's before loosing a granddad and wish I could remember all the things they had witnessed/done in their lives. The one I spent the most time with raised and trained mules for ranch work. He had one of the first mule drawn three wheel Harris sidehill combines. Once a month he made a 40 mile two day round trip in a wagon/buckboard for staples. He took hogs, goats, lambs, chickens and anything else he could sell or barter for staples.

My wife and younger siblings keep after me to put on paper all I can remember since I am the only one left that knows them. I keep putting it off......NOT a good thing, I better start wriring.

John

oneshot 1 said:
Been keeping a Journal.

oneshot
I have journals from junior high and still keep one. It's fun to look back 20 years to see what was seen or the numbers of game on different farms. The real old journals make you shed a tear of how things have changed (properties sold, game gone, highways through the middle and so on).

Mine I have things in there about us Homesteading in middle of no where, just a Shack, no Electric, Phone or Running Water. Storms, Fires and me taking the Law looking for people.

Many other things, some I be long dead before others know.

oneshot

Getting a tad older is slowing me down, too.  I carry my pills in a small suitcase.  Seriously.  Arthritis, venus insufficiency (whatever that is), high BP, the list goes on.  Bad knee, liver transplant, gall bladder out, appendix out, bi-focals, and dang cataract.  Ears ring like bells.  Broken several bones.  Rebuilt one knee.  Heck I've been shot, stabbed, and set on fire (all 3 self inflicted I might add).  It won't get better till I die.  

But I do have a plan:  I'll hire a 16 year old to drive me around, bait my hook, clean my game, and start my fires.  I ain't a quitting till I just don't want to do it anymore.  Pain can change your mind though. Pain is a mother.  Comes to it, I'll have him drive me out just to watch the game with binoculars.  That, and I'll be the ornery old cuss back at camp that ate all the bacon!  Enjoy what you can while you can.  

Oneshot, you have a good woman looking after you.  You're one lucky guy.

"Knock on wood" I'm very healthy so far, not on any medicine.  When I can't climb trees anymore I'll hunt from the ground just like turkey hunting.  Maybe some year I'll only be capable of carrying a camera or just be the camp cook.  The point is, as I slow down I'll do what I can do and enjoy every minute.

I second Old Smoke's comment: "Oneshot, you have a good woman looking after you.  You're one lucky guy."  and.... she like your company :D

Old Smoke said:
Getting a tad older is slowing me down, too.  I carry my pills in a small suitcase.  Seriously.  Arthritis, venus insufficiency (whatever that is), high BP, the list goes on.  Bad knee, liver transplant, gall bladder out, appendix out, bi-focals, and dang cataract.  Ears ring like bells.  Broken several bones.  Rebuilt one knee.  Heck I've been shot, stabbed, and set on fire (all 3 self inflicted I might add).  It won't get better till I die.  

But I do have a plan:  I'll hire a 16 year old to drive me around, bait my hook, clean my game, and start my fires.  I ain't a quitting till I just don't want to do it anymore.  Pain can change your mind though. Pain is a mother.  Comes to it, I'll have him drive me out just to watch the game with binoculars.  That, and I'll be the ornery old cuss back at camp that ate all the bacon!  Enjoy what you can while you can.  
I'm like you with both knees being bad, one kidney out, appendix out,  cataracts removed with new lenses.  Ears ring like bells too, have a 65% hearing loss (freekin' batteries keep be broke).  Broken several bones on all limbs (now healing with two ribs broken last week).  Rebuilt one knee also.  I've been shot, stabbed, and set on fire thanks to "my vacation in a sunny place" as Uncle Sam put it...   :pale:
Like you I have a plan:  I'll hire a 16 (18 year old pretty gal - age is important then you don't get in to much trouble) to drive me around, bait my hook, clean my game, and start my fires.  I'm not quitting either until I just don't want to do it anymore.  Yes "Pain can change your mind b ut my driver will help keep my mind off of that problem". I'll have her drive me out just to watch the game with binoculars. I'll be the kind old turd back at camp that eats all the bacon! 

Damn we are much alike and half the guys on this site fit the bill too.   :slaps:

Smokin' Joe said:
I second Old Smoke's comment: "Oneshot, you have a good woman looking after you.  You're one lucky guy."  and.... she like your company :D
I agree with Smoke's comment, I too have a good woman (15 years younger than me) you never get one the same age. Her problem that we are dealing with daily is MS, she has lost most of the function on her right side, the left side is now showing signs of problems. Her medication per month to help as much as possible has jumped from $5,800 to $6,400 for 2018 (thank God for insurance that covers better than half the cost. This is why we sold our one house and will move into the new one that is setup for a handicap with counter tops wheel chair heights, hand rails in baths, wider doors, lots of windows for her to look out of and ramps for her to move from the house to the car.  Once settle I'll have to buy a new car that she can get into easier.  The hardest part is seeing her go down this road.  :(

as to my family tree. did the 23 and me thing several months ago. just like the commercial about the guy who thought he was german. we always thought we were 1/2 german, not one drop of german blood. some dont like to find out what they really are but i liked the idea of knowing what i am. as a registered nurse most of my career was with the government and working on indian reservations. my indian friends all told me, roger you got to have some native blood. they were riight, i do, never knew it. i encourage any one who is wondering what they really are, do 23 and me, it is the most accurate dna site out their.

oneshot if you got a women that likes your company, then you are one lucky dude. Man the worse thing you can do to her is give up on yourself. Hang in there brother, we are all rooting for you.

Smokin' Joe said:
"Knock on wood" I'm very healthy so far, not on any medicine.  When I can't climb trees anymore I'll hunt from the ground just like turkey hunting.  Maybe some year I'll only be capable of carrying a camera or just be the camp cook.  The point is, as I slow down I'll do what I can do and enjoy every minute.

Hunted setting in a Chair for many years. Had couple Deer given to us my wife took care of them by herself. It took 3 hours instead of one with my help. Oh she has been good about getting them out in the past.

She is making Butter and Cheese right now.

oneshot

Ok I realized I was taking to many Pain Killers and had slep actually 3 months. I quit taking my Pain Killers and felt good.

This morning I was already to go Antlerless hunting. 4AM I woke up hurting very bad, there was no way I could hunt.

Ok crazy but I went to the Gym and did an hour of Yoga, I hurt but felt better. My wife said I might feel better swimming every day, keeping moving and not so hard on my body.

Funny day before I was feeling so good I was ready to cut Firewood again and Garden but this morning had me rethinking things. Probably just heat with Propane and just do my Fruit as far as gardening.

oneshot

Oneshot 1    I am sorry to hear you are not doing well and wanted to wish you all the best. Just do what you can

oneshot 1, I am sorry to hear about your physical problems and associated pain, especially the pain, talk about a motivation killer, that will do it. I am disabled with a rare nerve disease and can barely walk 150 yds to hunt a field, and can only sit on a stool but have been lucky with the pain, most people with my disease have significant nerve pain. It's easy to get discouraged and down when thinking about what you can't do anymore. I feel guilty for not being able to help the wife with basic chores.

Ok I'm thinking the heck with cold weather. Try using my Crossbow early warm weather.

Put Gas Log heat in our Fireplace instead of heating with Wood and mostly just deal with my Fruits as far as Gardening.

Funny people say don't worry we will do this and that. Get started, leave a mess and have to figure out something else. Thought one had done a bunch found my wife had done the bulk of it. Like I told her don't know what I would do with out her.

What other woman would moved into middle of nowhere, no Electric, no Running water and no Phone in a Shack, dirt floors, no insulation in the worst Wild Fire area of the state.

We have regular house now but 20 years we had fun.

oneshot

Back