Interesting find after squirrel hunt today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atvgod821

Reaction score
I found my .22 bullet that I shot a squirrel with today. It is a CCI Mini-Mag HP copper plated hollow point 36gn. 1260 fps. This bullet weighed in at 33.6gn. after a head shot. I hit the head broad side and found the bullet under the skin of the hind leg. I guess .22's are like a bouncy ball after all.

00122.jpg

00216.jpg

00315.jpg

My wife was an E.R./Trauma nurse for years & said that some of the worst gun shot wounds came from 22's because they rarely exited & usually stayed inside the body just bouncing around & tearing up everything.

The photo came out much better than I thought it would. It does make it look a lot bigger than it is. The bullet really made a mess out of that squirrel. The head was in tact some how, the front leg was destroyed and the hind leg had a hole and it stopped at the skin. I am going back to the CCI Stingers, which are 40gn. and 1640 fps, so hopefully I get that one to past through.

That's why a good mechanic puts a few .22's in the head, they bounce around inside the skull. :Mischief:

Chad said a .22 is known to tumble and bounce around. I was just giving an example.

I wonder if there is any round that has taken more life than the humble .22 :?:

9mm is usually what shows up in people around this town that my wife has the pleasure of doing surgery on.

I'm thinking of human as well as animal live , most if not all of us cut our shooting teeth on a .22 and killed most smallgame and birds with it .

Back