It's Kit Time !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look up Billinghurst underhammer rifle. I think it may be one of his designs? I saw a picture showing the false muzzle and the attached tube sight. Cool rifle you've acquired.
I sent you a picture of the Besien,. this one sold online in 2016. Looks to be the same to me but it is signed. The Billinghurst appear to have some what the same trigger but all are cylindrical in design I've found

Last edited:
I sent you a picture of the Besien,. this one sold online in 2016. Looks to be the same to me but it is signed. The Billinghurst appear to have some what the same trigger but all are cylindrical in design I've found
I took a second look at the Billinghurst that I found on line and you’re right. The receiver is indeed round. The trigger spring threw me off.

Well i spent a few hours this morning with my grinder with a flap wheel on it. I took the cheek piece swell n ground some of it off. Had my wood rasp handy worked it steady until the swell was gone & i could not see any extra wood pushing out. Then i spent est. of 40 minutes sanding wood down to a nice smooth finish. Just need to put stain n sealer on it n the forearm. My hammer appears to be curved somewhat, will not line up in center for hitting cap on nipple. I will ponder n research this to see if i can cold bend lightly or if i have to heat with a torch to bend it

Trader, if that wood is maple you could try an aquafortis treatment. Really makes any curl pop. Got mine from Track of the Wolf. Wipe it on let it dry and then use a heat gun to make the reaction work. Then your preferred protective top coat,, tru oil or whatever you like. I will dig up a picture of a maple stock that I did.
Have the Aquafortis and heat gun on the way..With my slow progress I'm sure it will be here before I'm ready for it. I'm going to do a patchbox delete, as much as I like the brass contrast. I carry everything I need in the field in my Elk hide possible's bag anyway. I'm putting it on a H&A with a Barska 34" 1-1/8" " False muzzle "Chunk Gun" for benchrest with a switch bbl capability to use my other 7 bbls for other activities.. With my current health issues I may elect to sell the false muzzle Besien type engraved underhammer project..Trader

Just follow the instructions and don't be scared when it goes on, the brown occurs after the heat is applied. Just keep the heat gun moving until the color changes. The character of the wood will really be revealed when you apply the finish.

Well after 6 1/2 days without mail I finally got a look at the UH I bought online a couple back. Absolutely NO markings on any surface that I can find. Mystery UH design so far. 32" X 1-1/16 54 cal bbl. Looks like it might have been D&T for one of the Leatherwood type period correct scopes ?? Nice false muzzle and buttstock. Fore stock looks like maybe a sandbag benchrest type ? Anyone venture a guess as to origin, purpose or value ? Perfect, shiny bore, very light trigger BTW
Took the recoilpad off today looking for clues. This might be a recoil reducer ?? 1/4" deep blind threaded hole I'll try to move it tomorrow, hope it's not an ignition source LOL I've seen similar in competition shotguns, but this dude's heavy.

I put 2 coats of Pecan stain on Forearm, will put 2-3 more on it. Have sanded down the butt stock, need to do some carving to fit the butt plate on. Have started sanding the action for smoothness, have not decided whether to put brown or blue it or gray it. Then getting Hammer straightened out from its poor casting curve. That will be all i can do until my barrel comes.

I put together a under hammer kit a year ago from Pecatonica my hammer seemed like it was off too but when I pulled the trigger everything was fine if I were you I would wait until you get it all together and go bang one time before you start heating something up and bending it if it doesn't work then and it doesn't land centered then do it.

Sounds like you're well on your way. I've got my replacement butt stock finish sanded. Just have to put the finish on. Waiting for a little warmer weather. My garage shop is not heated.

I put together a under hammer kit a year ago from Pecatonica my hammer seemed like it was off too but when I pulled the trigger everything was fine if I were you I would wait until you get it all together and go bang one time before you start heating something up and bending it if it doesn't work then and it doesn't land centered then do it.
Your correct, n i will wait til i get barrel & all of it lined out to see if it lines up centered.

Sounds like you're well on your way. I've got my replacement butt stock finish sanded. Just have to put the finish on. Waiting for a little warmer weather. My garage shop is not heated.
I have been working on the butt plate wood removal. The preliminary carved top of wood they took it too wide n the butt plate metal point there is too narrow. Leaves a air gap on both sides. Also the left side was real proud on wood but the right side was short! Too clean it up would shorten my LOP another 1/4 - 5/16". The LOP is barely at my length, so that is a last resort. I may just use clear epoxy n live with it.

I have a Bart line half octagon half round 18 twist black cercoated the metal I have a Buckhorn Circle I call it with the white diamond site in the front Crosshair in a ring my old eyes can see it well I had two dovetails cut in mine one's a lot closer back if I need to move back I had a blast build in mind I'm sure you are too.

Attachments

• 20230308_113754.jpg
    20230308_113754.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I have a Bart line half octagon half round 18 twist black cercoated the metal I have a Buckhorn Circle I call it with the white diamond site in the front Crosshair in a ring my old eyes can see it well I had two dovetails cut in mine one's a lot closer back if I need to move back I had a blast build in mind I'm sure you are too.
Yours is looking right nice, what cal did you have barrel in ? I read what you say about your sights, but for me to know i would have to see them. I see you and many more have notched your rear part of Forearm n then put flash n nipple installed.
I was thinking of drilling a hole through n installing mine

The barrel is 450 -458 18 twist bartline,, I had them cut one day of tail about the same place a dovetail would be on the factory Renegade and then I had them cut the second dovetail as far back to the receiver as they could right now I have that little Buckeye / peep sight it looks kind of like a hybrid with a little white diamond I'll try to post a picture of it and a little front globe with a Crosshair I can see the sides with both eyes open or with one eye closed for now they're going to work fine for me I'm going to keep my shots within a hundred yards so it's no problem

One dovetail,, sorry I didn't proof read one dovetail in the same place it would traditionally be on most muzzleloaders the same place as a factory Renegade and then the second dovetail I had them cut as far back as possible just in case I need some flexibility as my eyes age more

Latest posts

Back