It's official: I am retired

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
My retirement started on May 31, 2016, but due to some inconvenient life events I didn't move out of my office at work until last week.

Tell you what: packing boxes full of books and plaques and photos and memorabilia really does give finality to the whole retirement idea. I hauled 3 SUV loads of boxes from my former office to my home. It took weeks of going through books and other materials at home to make room for all the paraphernalia I brought from the office.

I am doing some consulting projects out of my home office, but it still feels very strange being retired from my main job. All those students running around campus aren't "my kids" anymore. There is no line of students waiting outside my office to ask me how to solve some hydrology or fluid mechanics problems. I've been asked to come back to give some talks in various courses now and again, but it isn't the same.

It is well known that changes in life can generate stress, even if the change is positive. It will take a while for me to get over the transition and fully accept it. But, it's time. I'll be 70 in January and will be able to do some activities I didn't have time for before.

I'll be able to go shooting during the week and not have to wait until the weekend when the range is crowded. I can get to the gym at least 3 times a week. I won't be working when hunting season comes around! I could jump into the car and drive out to my friend's ranch in Caddo, OK (as long as I don't do it too often - it can get costly).

Or, I could just lay in the lounge chair and eat bonbons while watching Hoss and Little Joe on The Ponderosa reruns on TV. :D (What the heck are bonbons, anyway?)

Ron

I don't know if I'm supposed to say congratulations or be very sad! I know you had surgery this past year, so I assume you're doing a whole lot better.....tomorrow I go in to have my right shoulder replaced. Soon with both shoulders done, ankle fused and no immediate need for hip or knee replacements or redone, I figure I'm just getting started.

Ron you're too young to "retire"...........When I was 29 a crippling accident left me medically retired. When people asked me what I did, I'd say "I'm retired". They would always respond "must be nice".....rather than go into a long defense of why it "wasn't nice", I had a business card made up that had a picture of a buffalo on the front of it and above the critter, I had printed "Professional Buffalo Hunter", Below I had "Have Sharps will travel"...........with all this new free time, looks like to me it's time for you to start a new career! :thumbs up:

or get your ass out on the range ol man!!

:lol!:

I can imagine that horrible feeling of doing something for so long and then having to leave it. Got to be one of the worst feelings, but it all comes to an end. Now you have time to go out on new adventureS. Notice the capital S?

Good on you, Ron.   Do some serious hunting and shooting before you get too old. 

For myself retirement has been an evanescent thing:  Retired more times than i can remember.   Still do some consulting work.

RonC,

I've always believed that change is good and opens doors not otherwise ventured.  A significant change will yield significant stress and there's no getting around it.  Retirement from my career job came earlier than expected for me last year.  There will be an adjustment time, but I'm sure you will find like I did that change is good. :)

Enjoy your retirement and the new lifestyle it will bring! :cheers:

Enjoy your retirement Ron, it will be what you want it to be. Stay safe!

Doug,
I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery! Please let us know of your progress.

Gentlemen, thank you for your comments and well wishes! It took several months of recovery before I really could think about the implications of retirement.
The new aortic valve seems to be doing its job. Most of the effects of the heart surgery have been resolved, although it will be a year post surgery before I can really strain again while working out. I can walk and go up and down stairs with the help of the banister after the knee repair. Each week I need less support as the quadriceps strengthen. However, I am not yet capable of trying out for the Denver Nuggets basketball team. :lol:  I also am not ready to chase women, but that is because of orders given to me by my wife of 46 years.
1n8h.jpg

I may spend Summers in Colorado and Winters at my vacation cottage:
NEl7sj.gif

I may even learn a new musical instrument:
b2wkQv.jpg

Ron

Keep busy Ron and enjoy doing what you want to do whenever you want to do it.

Ray.............

Retirement is the best job I've ever had ... and I've had a lot of them. The only stress I had when I thought about retiring was, "Will I be able to afford it?"

After a couple of months I found that I could afford it just fine. No stress since!

I grew a beard so the people in town wouldn't recognize me and pester me about things related to my former job ... and it worked. They just look quizzically at me like, "do I know him?" Incognito is great.

My new retirement cottage:

iu

Try it Ron, you may like it.

Ive been struggling with this same idea of retiring. No one ever knows if its the right time. Im to use to working even though Im tired of it. I want to get away from what Im currently doing but at the same time I would sweep floors to have something to do with little or no respondsibility. I will join you for shooting when I can Ron but Im still thinking about it. Al

Just give me a yell anytime, Al, and we can go shooting!
Ron

Ron

Later on you'll discover that WEEKENDS meant something....a couple of days off.....but now they're just another day!! That was something to look forward to but in retirement.............?? Maybe you'll learn to hate MONDAY like I have always felt toward it! My mother told me when I was six that it was the first day of school! Hated MONDAY every day since!

You'll survive!! Hang in there!!

Ron

Surgery went well and I am anxiously awaiting week six after (4 1/2 more) upon which I can start driving again. I do not look forward to working on my upper body strength.....unlike your self, I'd rather take a beating than "workout"........rather I'd prefer gaining my strength again though manual labor......though there is little opportunity in these day. So I'll start with the rubber bands and work my way up to the weights. As long as I can once again comfortably pack a ten pound rifle again come October!

On another matter, my bride had the opportunity to visit the Taj Mahal as she circumnavigated the globe years ago. Within weeks of her arrival in Colorado, I took her to the Great Sand Dunes National Monument. Climbing the tallest dune, having held back to make sure the kids made the assent, I was surprise to find my wife, weeping (and she rarely sheds a tear).......asking her what was wrong she replied "I have seen the Taj Mahal in person, but nothing I have ever witness is as glorious as this". As retirement affords it's a great time for you to review God's many wonders in the glorious state of Colorado! :thumbs up:
<h3 class="post-content">
</h3>

Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery, Doug!

I was working out regularly before the heart diagnosis, so I looked forward to getting back to it. I just can't work out with the intensity I used to as a boy of 68. Now, cardiovascular fitness takes the lead instead of the focus being on strength.

I have been fortunate enough to have worked in many countries over the years, and still travel to South Africa each year for a month. Still, every time I return home, I could kiss the ground and appreciate my good fortune to be an American.
Ron

Back