Knight has a new Item Non Plastic Jacket Breech Plug???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFM

Reaction score
Was checking out what Knight has out for 2007 and saw they are offering a new style breech plug with the Non Plastic Jacket required, just putting the primer straight into the breech plug with out the plastic jacket???

Wonder why they came out with that? I thought they used the Full Plastic Jacket to keep it more waterproof especially in the rain???

I got a catalog from Sportsman Guide suggesting they have new for 2007 the Disc Extreme. Did they take the Extreme off the market and are reintroducing it I knew they dropped the .45 Extreme a few years back but had tnot noticed that the Extreme was also gone or was it???

LFM

If you use the non jacket 209 breech plug, it won't be waterproof.That breech is the old design,the fullplastic jacket is the new type waterproof breech plug.When you buy a new 209 ML, it come with both breech plug.
Taureau noir

I think Knight made the non plastic jacket breechplug available due to a lot of comments from people that do not like the extra part required to use the rifle. I do not know a lot of muzzleloaders that plan on underwater hunting so the completely waterproof plastic carrier (while very effective) is not that important to me. I prefer just using the primer without the extra part. With a closed breech and a 209 primer in the breechplug it is quite safe from normal water that would be experienced in most hunts. In a complete downpour I leave the forest anyway. I think offering both with the new rifles is a great idea and although I do not have a Knight I think the company is doing the right thing. I do like the look of the new rolling block rifle by them. At this time I have T/C, Lyman, NEF and White rifles. The Whites are becomming my favorite with the NEF running close second. The T/C Omega is a slow third tied with the Lyman although they are definately different clasifications.

Last fall we been hunting in heavy rain for nearly 2 months, and after a day hunt my powder was as dry as it could be,while without the plastic jacket I might be loosing a monster buck??????
I used the plastic jacket for over 2 years now and like it.An other advantage is,with the plastic jacket there is no powder residue on the scope.
Taureau noir

My issue with the plastic jacket is that if you leave the plastic jackets at home while going to the range/hunting, you're SOL. That's easier to do than you might think(I've done it!) since no other brand uses the plastic jacket. Pick up your 10ML-II, NULA, Omega, etc and pick up a pack of primers and you are good to go. I'm for the jacket-less breechplug.

I bought a Disc Elite about a month ago( my first Knight rifle)... I've always been a TC man. But I will have to honestly say I really like the full plastic jacket... they are much easier to deal with and load compared to the tiny 209's and I love the way the bolt on the Knight pulls the disc off once fired... on more than one occasion I have had to get my knife out to dislodge the 209 from my Omega's breach plug,,, not good in a hunting situation. I have a Leupold 3.5x10x40 VXIII on the way for my Elite and I'll let you guys know how she shoots... I'm going with the 250 grain Knight Red Hot in the new EZ load sabots and three 777 pellets... :twisted:

I have a Disc Elite and a TC XR .45 Black Diamond.

I like the Knight plastic jacket because it's a little faster to re-prime when reloading under hunting conditions, and I don't worry about rain.

Flint head,you made the right choice,I had in the past a Tradition Hawken,then a Tradition E-Bolt 209,then a Knight Disc extreme , and now a Knight dis Elite in .50cal.I like it and will probably keeping it for a life time to come.It true a full plastic jacket is easier to load and unload,and seal perfectly from blow back and water.
Taureau noir

Positives for Knight red full plastic jackets
1 Very easy to prime - unprime the rifle, even in the dark
2 You can tell at a glance if the rifle is primed
3 Weather proof, (where legal)
4 Less blowback, crud on scope etc
Negatives for plastic jackets
1 Extra cost, app 10 cents per shot
2 Hassel to prime, must prime the jackets beforehand

As far as forgeting the red jackets what if you forget your bullets, powder, capper (for some rifles), hunting license, etc etc etc. I personally like the red jackets and absolultly love my Disc Elite. I clean and reuse the jackets a couple of times for range work only. I use new ones to hunt with.

Will any of these breech plugs fit my MK-85 that is converted to 209's??

Wife has converted her Wolverine over to 209(it's a old one) it came with a #11 cap breech plug that used a nipple. She love the way it shoots with the 209 conversion for hunting,but it's a PITA at the range. I try to get her to buy a new rifle,but she won't give up the Knight. Unlike me (I think I need every new gadget,that comes along) she is content with her Wolverine. I sure can't say she could kill more deer with a new gun,she has shot over 20 deer with the Wolverine,from the bottom of the tree,to 147yds,and got them all. So going by the gun's track record,won't get it replaced. :D Ron

Back