Knight Mountaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer with bare primer ignition coming soon. Anyone want to share their favorite Blackhorn 209 load, with your favorite bullet/sabot combination??? I know how accurate Knight rifles can be and plan to do a lot of shooting to get it dialed in. I'll be using it for hunting whitetails and want to use copper bullets, i.e.; Barnes, Lehigh or Hornady Monoflex ML. Thanks in advance for all comments.

Go to Lehigh Defense and get the Mountaineer plug and a 4 pack of vent liners. It will be the best investment you can make unless you want a custom fit plug from Bestill.

Plug
https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=313
Vent liners
https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=282
Okay. I haven't picked up my gun yet so please educate me. What is the difference between the Knight breech plug and the aftermarket one? And what is the purpose of the vent liner??? Thank you...

The vent liner provides the flash hole. The Knight plug has the vent liner brazed in place. The Lehigh plug has a 'loose' vent liner that can be unscrewed. When the flash hole erodes from the flame of combustion, it can be replaced in the Lehigh plug. Not so in the Knight plug.
Thank you for the information. After looking at them, it has to be easier and less expensive to replace the vent liner than replacing the breech plug whenever it needs it. How long do the vent liners usually last? This system seems like the way to go, seeing that I replaced the breech plug in my older Knight a couple times.

I too like all copper/monolithic bullets. I have many more to try, on my list so far
-275gr Barnes .451 XPB
-275gr Barnes .451 TSX
-300gr Barnes .458 TSX
-290gr Barnes .451 TEZ
-285gr Bear Creek Ballistics .451 Ball Point

The barrel on my Mountaineer is somewhat tight, I doubt I could get a Barnes TMZ with the supplied yellow sabot down the barrel but I may try a yellow Crush Rib sabot sometime in the future.

Here are some loads I've tried, only 2 copper bullets so far, nothing stellar yet.

All shots at 100yds, V. is by volume, all with Winchester 209 primers

120gr V. BH209
250gr .458 Hornady MonoFlex
Harvester Crush Rib sabot
3v4WBgp.jpg

120gr V. BH209
250gr .452 Hornady FTX, knurled
Harvester Smooth Black sabot
2PCeFsv.jpg

106gr V. BH209
250gr .451 Barnes TEZ, knurled
Supplied Blue sabot
rR0wy9T.jpg

325gr .458 Hornady FTX
Harvester Crush Rib sabot
This load got stuck in the end of the barrel, i pulled it out with Vise grips, this was loaded on a cold barrel in 23*F temps. When I got the rifle (used) it came with a paper target showing a nice 3 shot group using this bullet/sabot combo. How someone got it loaded, I'm not sure, maybe it was much warmer out.
xgiXaA5.jpg

Last edited:
When I had my Mountaineer, my load was 250 grain Barnes TMZ with yellow supplied sabot and 85 grain BH209 and Winchester W209 primer. It was very effective at killing deer. I sold my Mountaineer and switch to an Ultralight and shoot the same load. I will be switching to the 290 grain TMZ when I run out of the 250 grains bullets.

Herschel Conyers load is a killer, that would be my first load to try in a new Mountaineer. I would be confident in using that load in all North American cervid and black bear with proper shot placement.

Thank you for the information. After looking at them, it has to be easier and less expensive to replace the vent liner than replacing the breech plug whenever it needs it. How long do the vent liners usually last? This system seems like the way to go, seeing that I replaced the breech plug in my older Knight a couple times.
The vent liner holes are measured in the thousands. You can buy pin gauges quite reasonable that way you know when too discard them.

I remember when World Record Whitetail hunter Stephen Tucker came to Friendship. Knight had given him a new rifle, 50cal UL. Myself, Joe Hill, Bob Wetzler & Jason Day helped he and his friend all day.
First 1/2 of the day, they sighted and shot their loads (777, sabot & bullets). We did our best to help them out to 200 - 300 with little success on animals.
After lunch, we said ditch your stuff and shoot our conicals (Swiss & 475gr conicals). By the end of the afternoon they were moving their own sights up/down the range from 200-500, knocking off the silhouettes.
At the end Stephen wanted to shoot at the mini-Creedmoor at 500yds until he missed.
He never thought a ML could do what we said.
769784FA-00B9-4108-8978-76A0064F37DC.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks again. I already placed an order for both the breech plug and the vent liners. LOL.
I ordered a couple breech plugs from SSK/Lehigh on Jan 11. My credit card was charged but I haven't received anything as of today. Emails requesting status have not been answered either. I know they are in transition so I hope my order has not been lost.

Latest posts

Back