Knight Ultra Lite bullets? Barnes TMZ’s WAY to tight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As, Bkusch53 wrote in post #19 try the Black crush rib sabots from Harvester.

IMHO, all Harvester black sabot are more consistent in dimensions than all others brands. Here I have MMP and Knight sabots and others to campare, but over the years the Harvester brand has been the most consistent in dimensions for uniform load pressure. I use the short Black Harvester sabot with all boolitz from 250 to 345 gr. The H5045SB are what I use with BH209 and in my Smokeless MLs.

I would size your projectiles to whatever size you need for comfortable loading. Adjustable sizing dies are available.

You say you need a round that performs hunting. IMHO, and Most of my family and local friends agree, nothing beats the hard cast boolitz I cast for hunting performance. They shoot well and perform well in many rifles of all colors. Take a look at the 320 gr Harvester Hard Cast packages, I have the mold to cast that projectile and many get shot every year.

I have always found Graf and sons to have the best pricing on Harvestor products. I buy the H5045SB by the case from them.

You may just need to size your choosen projectile to fit you combination. I have 3 sizing dies 2 that I made from .450 to .452. The Hankins adjustable would service you well.

K

Last edited:
The Hankins will allow you to adjust your projectile size to fit perfectly with what ever Sabots you have.

I have never swabbed between shots w/ BH209 or any other powder, In fact I wont.

Ken

Well, looks like I’ll need the .45 kit to resize 45 cal bullets for a 50 cal sabot. Thanks for pointing that one out!

A neat trick i came up with for 458s was getting a .454 Lee sizer. Then using those 454s in a Black Crushrib. That die also comes in handy as the first resizing step if you need to make them smaller.

A 454+HBCR is only around .002 larger but still smaller than a .452 with a Red Crushrib. So if your rifle likes sabots around the HPH-12 size but you want something that loads a tiny bit easier....Its works.

Well, looks like I’ll need the .45 kit to resize 45 cal bullets for a 50 cal sabot. Thanks for pointing that one out!

An alternative is dispense with sabot, and shoot 50 caliber bullets in the 50 caliber rifle. Instead of a 45 Hankins sizer, one uses a Hankins 50 sizer. The boy, and myself each killed our deer this past season with Fury 50 caliber star tip mz bullets, shot from our 50 caliber rifles, and the deer sure do taste good.

Here is a link to the bullets, and the sizing die:

Black powder muzzleloader (furycustombullets.com)

@ShawnT where are you finding the lehigh in stock?

Sorry for the delay in replying, I don't always long on every evening.

I just saw that the Lehigh 452 265gn is out of stock. You can click on the Notify me and they will send an email when they are back in stock. I did that when waiting for the New 250gn CF for the 450Bushmaster.

This is the link to the page of the CF line of bullets.
Lehigh Defense - Bullets - Muzzleloader - Controlled Fracturing

MMP SABOTS : Store : HPH Sabot Series

I’ll have to check some of these out. Are you saying a .400 (40 cal) bullet shot with a 50 cal sabot loaded well? Is this not recommended?

I just started trying the .451 230gn and the .400 195gn. Yes I am shooting them from my 50cal UL. I developed Arthritis in my low neck and mid back and heavy recoil so am looking for a load that is something lighter in Recoil. I was very pleasantly surprised at how they loaded and shot. However I ran into one issue. I sort of ran out of BH209 so will be starting over with 777.

MMP makes the HPH Blue 40x50 sabot for the 40cal bullets. I will be trying them with lighter loads like 95 to 105gnV. Nothing at all wrong with shooting them from a 50cal as long as you use the right sabot.

MMP SABOTS : Store : Blue HPH Sabot/50 Pcs

I first tried shooting the Knight/Lehigh Bloodline .458 275gn and It loaded very hard in mine, Deformed the sabot and would shave a bit of it too. Then went to the .265gn 452 with the MMP HPH24 and it shot great. Taken 4 or 5 deer now with it.

I need to get some more of the .400 CFs for load development. I was very skeptical when trying this one. I had not had good luck with small diameter bullets in the past but that was also a long time ago that I tried. So I am still trying this but it did shot a lot of promise. It and the 230gn was something I picked up from a chat with Sabotloader.

I am using 250 grain tmz yellow sabot with 85 grains by volume bh209 and w209 primer. I can shoot 20+ round without cleaning. You may want to slug the bore for measurement.
You shooting that with a knight ultralite? What’s your grouping?

New barrel with dynatek needs to be fired as fast as you can, get it HOT to cure the dynatek coating, for about 8-10 shots. As mentioned above it will slick up nicely after 20-40 shots. I’ve encountered the same hard loading as you on at least 3 new dynatek knights. I use harvester crush rib sabots. Good luck. :lewis:
First time I've read about that . Am I correct in assuming that until that dynatech is cured that accuracy could be all over the place since the surface of the dynatec is physically changing ?

Harvester Crushed Rib sabots, and rub a little lube on them for easier loading. Don't worry about groups right now as you have to get that bore cured.

I have a Knight Wolverine I did notice a real change in zero but I did notice after about 40 rounds it loaded smoother not really easier. I’m using a Hornady 300 sst in Harvester smooth gives a diameter of about 504 . I tried some 458 s in the Harvester orange and that was really difficult to load.

You shooting that with a knight ultralite? What’s your grouping?
Yes it's a very early production ultralight based on serial number. Grouping if I do my part is 1" groups three shots. Groups open up quick as the barrel warms up. I am always sighted in off a clean cold bore.

Latest posts

Back