Lead bullets in a sml

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked them out in Ron's tests. They looked like they expand easily. Bet, head and neck shots at close range gets messy at the velocity your pushing them.
No, not at all “ messy “. I’ll PM you pics on a scale of the only 2 recovered Dead Centers I have so you can see the bullets & I’ll include some deer pics where thee were hit.
Bob Parker's first bullets were made of Lead.

Yep, He still makes a nice lead bullet too. On the expensive side though.

This post i have reread several times to see the several ?'s you were seeking answers to. Lead bullet vs jacketed bullet. Jacketed usually has a better BC than the lead, just depends on the style you prefer to use. Oh buddy talk about opening up the 200 XTP is a grenade if pushed past the 1800 MV. Open a tick toters chest up to lung soup. Weight n BC is the trouble in getting lead bullets to hold up to the SW's n SST's. BH-209 is way too high for me but not smokeless powder. I think the way you have asked this is your State says no smokeless powder, then use Trip 7 3 f
The 40 cal 200gr xtp is fragile at smokeless speeds (Ron's test) I like a bullet that stays together alittle better.

Lets see now, you were asking about lead bullets. So i threw out some well used sabot bullets. I don't know off hand if any lead bullets are made to go up 2400 fps on up to the 3000 fps smokeless loads

I have 2 sml muzzleloaders.One is a Knight mountaineer in 45 cal and the other is a newly required Omega with Woodman arms 45 cal sml barrel.I have been shooting hornaday 200 grain sst in hlbs with 55-60 grains of h4198.I see where lead bullets open up more and a better wound with what I shoot.Would a lead bullet in a sabot at the same weight as the sst's hold up to the speed of smokeless powder.I see they are cheaper to shoot.My yardage is from 15 yds to possibly 200 yards across a cut corn field.And I can not afford the bh 209 powder.
I am just curious why the BH-209 powder ? I am trying to ponder of these ?'s you are asking. Why not use VV110 or 4759 or Blue Dot ?

Yes the xtp be pistola n pushing them past 1800 mv is a grenade waiting. I know we are trying to help him, but lead past 2300 fps is a most iffy deal. Sabots handle fps fairly good just don't get them too hot in the sun as they get soft. Just like in a hot bbl ! Heck i don't shoot a load right now over 1800/1850 fps tops. Seldom do i ever see a deer past 125 yds

Yes I do use sabots and thought about a wad under the sabot.Have been using hornaday 200 grain sst for a while at around 2550.I wouldn't have to use 55-60 grains.Could drop down lower to around 52 grains.Or better yet just do what I have been doing If it ain't broke,don't miss with it,right.

Yes I do use sabots and thought about a wad under the sabot.Have been using hornaday 200 grain sst for a while at around 2550.I wouldn't have to use 55-60 grains.Could drop down lower to around 52 grains.Or better yet just do what I have been doing If it ain't broke,don't miss with it,right.
You can say that. Of course as funds n time become available you can try n test diff combo's. I have been shooting my sml for 8 yrs. I am always testing n shooting diff combo's its a sickness i have to spend my money now n not leave to my sons when i pass.

Biggest problem I see is that most commercial bullet offerings in .400/.401 diameter are going to be for 10mm or 40S&W - 41 mag uses a true .410 and then there are a bunch of old rifle calibers/diameters from .404 up thru .416. A little smaller and you can get good .378 bullets (375 H&H, 378 weatherby etc) or a little bigger and you can go for the .404 up thru .416 stuff.

However... folks reloading centerfire stuff have reported no leading etc when using good hard cast lead that has been powder coated even when driven to 2200-2400fps velocities.

If I wanted maximum thump from a .400/.401 front stuffer I'd be looking at a heavy (250-300gr) hard cast bullet with a big metplat and powder coated... And I'd probably be bugging my son about using a 3d printer to do my own sabots and see if I could get a solution to use .375 or .35x rifle bullets (intended for 375 H&H, 35 Whelen, etc velocities)

That 200gr XTP is a pistol bullet after all, I thinks its designed for around 1250fps & not 2600fps. Nuthin like a well made bonded core bullet for sure.
You are correct. I didnt like what I saw in Ron's testing with the 200gr xtp.

I would almost bet the bullet
(in posts #15 and #18) would put a whooping on a critter at smokeless speeds, that is if shot accurate. Take that bullet slightly knurl it, put it in HLBS with a wad with whatever powder. (4198, N110, etc), if it shot accurate, would be devastating!!!!

I would almost bet the bullet
(in posts #15 and #18) would put a whooping on a critter at smokeless speeds, that is if shot accurate. Take that bullet slightly knurl it, put it in HLBS with a wad with whatever powder. (4198, N110, etc), if it shot accurate, would be devastating!!!!
I'm testing its little brother the 85gr .312 XTP in my 762x39 bolt gun. Right now with mousefart loads - aiming for 1000fps with 3.5gr of TiteGroup, may bump it to 1200ish fps if it doesn't get too destructive - goal is turkeys up to 100 yards out with head/neck shots up close and body shots further out (50+ yards).

Latest posts

Back