Leatherman Multi-tool Recommendation

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkingeagle

Reaction score
He all,
Been thinking about getting a new Leatherman multi-tool as a pocket carry. I already have two Supertool 300’s and did have a Blast as well, so not thinking about any of those. Any recommendations I should look deeper into??

I have the Wave and really like it. Whichever one you pick make sure it’s a model that you can access the knives and saw without having to fold the pliers out.

I've had this Shrade for 30 years. What a great tool.

3LgjPgR.jpg

He all,
Been thinking about getting a new Leatherman multi-tool as a pocket carry. I already have two Supertool 300’s and did have a Blast as well, so not thinking about any of those. Any recommendations I should look deeper into??
I’ve had the Orig Leatherman & it served many purposes many times. When it turned up missing my ex got me the new version - the Leatherman WAVE. It’s the best multi tool on the market IMHO. Highly recommend it.

I have broken the pliers on 2 of the Leatherman originals, traded a Wave for a Gerber and bought another Gerber for $.75 at a yard sale. I like the Gerber better. Mr. Tom that Schrade looks like a stout tool.

I have broken the pliers on 2 of the Leatherman originals, traded a Wave for a Gerber and bought another Gerber for $.75 at a yard sale. I like the Gerber better. Mr. Tom that Schrade looks like a stout tool.
I broke 1/4" off one of the Leatherman Wave jaws too. It was my fault & think vs the pliars being faulty.

I have several orig Leaterman 3000's. I can't imagine what it would take to break one? Severe abuse? I don't know?

Last edited:
Thanks all. I too have broken my Blast, but was my fault. I like the leatherman but am not against looking at the Gerber as well. Just want it for pocket carry size, not sheath carry.
Walk

I have the Original that I keep in hunting pack and the Wave I k eep in my truck. The first Wave I had broke and I sent back to Leatherman. They replaced it for fee.

Own a Gerber that I got as gift, never use it.

I have a Bear and son multi tool that is a very good one too.
In the picture left to right
1- mini Bear Jaws
2- Bear Jaws
3- Gerber I don't know the model
4- original leatherman

Attachments

• 20220612_204254.jpg
    20220612_204254.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0
As shown in the picture above, the Gerber I have is similar. The problem I had with it was while using the pliers I pinched the palm of my had multiple times. Still have it in one of my packs, but quit using it because of the pinching issue.

I use these in my Go bags etc. I have the original Super Tool 300 (2) (black) and the Rebar versions. You would have to be doing some serious abuse to break these (IMHO). In addition each bag and many others carry a SAK Huntsman or Fieldmaster model, depending on what the bags is set for, urban or rural.

Attachments

• Leathermen2.jpg
    Leathermen2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 0
I have a LM, it stays in the truck door pocket. It comes out every so often, but its so dang heavy I dont really think its an EDC type tool. definitely not pocket anyway. I guess the sheath could make it more usefull, but the tools portion of it is maybe good for emergency use... when you dont have access to its actual tool counterparts. I would say it gets most of its use when I cant find a regular needle nose. Most times ill spend that extra 5 minutes looking for the real tool, before using the multi version on the task. Its quality, and works in a pinch. But really stays far outside my regular use tools for the most part.

I have a LM, it stays in the truck door pocket. It comes out every so often, but its so dang heavy I dont really think its an EDC type tool. definitely not pocket anyway. I guess the sheath could make it more usefull, but the tools portion of it is maybe good for emergency use... when you dont have access to its actual tool counterparts. I would say it gets most of its use when I cant find a regular needle nose. Most times ill spend that extra 5 minutes looking for the real tool, before using the multi version on the task. Its quality, and works in a pinch. But really stays far outside my regular use tools for the most part.
I agree. Mine are reserved for use in "packs" & Go Bags. They are designed to provide some tools/help in an emergency, not for every day, hard use (IMHO). I carry a Swiss Army Knife (have various versions) which is much lighter and easier to use for most daily tasks i might need one for!

Back