Leaving tomorrow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was on 15x zoom. My brother in law was back there yesterday with some folks he was showing around and he said he thinks it was possibly 100 yards. It was pretty hot at the time due to the other hunter being on our rear ends, so things were rushed. How ever far it was, it was still a great shot and dead on. Im thinking it was at least 100 yards because he said he put the 100 yard cross hair on its neck and let it fly lol.

What kind of entrance and exit wounds did you have? Did it break the neck or was it a flesh wound?

because it was in the neck, it did more internal damage on the inside and turned the meat/blood to pure grape jelly like substance. Entrance hole was aprox the size of the bullet diameter and exit hole was 1" diameter, I could easily fit my finger inside of it. Internal damage, he had a golf ball size hole through his spine/neck.

So it broke the neck? That explains the instant dropping of the deer.

broke it and then some. That was an instant kill on the spot as soon as that rifle went off.

Pete the sticks are used on long shots , up to about 220 yards we'll shoot off hand.

As for the charging tusker i'll rather put it down before it charges , some times they can soak up a lot of lead.

Scoped , my iron sighted guns are all big bores and not really suited to shots over about 160 yards

gotta relive this one! My brother in law and I drew separate units in NM this year so hes on his own. Im taking a new muzzy hunter with me in the unit I drew so hopefully we can have a double take down!

nuh uh! This is NM, not Colorado LOL. I do much better in NM as they have better game in their units. One thing I am going to look into for this hunt is a game cart. I'd rather walk 2 miles to the truck to get it than to drop 200lbs of deer across lava rock. It just kills your back. For the buck in this post, we did 1/4 mile before I said F - this! We 1/4'd the buck, took the rear legs back to the truck, stripped off everything but 2 bottles of water and went back and put the rest of the buck in the cooler and carried that back.

My memory is not too good sometimes but the game cart a friend had a few years back had two 20" (I think) bicycle tires side by side about 6 or 8" apart. Much better than a single tire and both ends had brake handles. But then who needs one of those when your a stout healthy young guy? A heavy duty pack frame that will carry 100 pounds is all you need. OR.....herd 'em back to the road before ya plug 'em. :lol:

My deer cart is cheap ($44 from Sportsmen's Guide) but it is rather heavy.
Without it I'd have a real tough task of getting a deer out from some of the places I hunt.

Harness1web_zps5ecf6ec7.jpg

IMG_0928web.jpg

I experienced using a cart similar to yours Pato but the first time out we lost three of those hinge pins.  They would hook on brush and get pulled out.  My brother changed out the hinge pins with bolts.  Otherwise the cart worked great!

I'd love to use a cart, but my terrain is way too hard to get trough just walking. Let alone trying to get a cart through it.

I use the gutless method, and then bone the meat out at the kill. No reason for me to take out the whole animal.

Bob, thats actually the cart that I am looking at. Thanks for the heads up on the pins Smokin Joe!! That would suck ass to be pulling it along and then fall flat on your ass from the pins unhooking!

I think something with solid tires might be best due to the lava rock in our areas we hunt in NM. My brothers shoe soles seriously FELL OFF because that rock is so nasty to walk in. He had to use duck tape to hold them together just long enough to go into the store and get a replacement pair :lol:

Muley said:
I use the gutless method, and then bone the meat out at the kill. No reason for me to take out the whole animal.
Pete,

Those deer were killed in areas that require that you bring the animal to the check station as killed. They weigh them, pull a jawbone, and sometimes check the kidney fat. At the NWRs they keep the whole head to check for CWD.
If you are going to mount the deer, they don't insist that they keep the head but make you feel bad for not cooperating.

Jon if you have a conduit bender and a few sections of black pipe I can send you dimensions on how to make an excellent cart for about the same price as Pato's but works much better in IMHO. Especially in hilly terrain. My brother has the same style as Pato's and at a minimum swap out the tires for the wheel barrel tires with slime. It makes a huge difference but the price of the tires is 2/3's of the price of the cart. I posted pics on here in another game cart thread. Good luck on your hunt.

Back