Load data For G2 Contender 209 X 45 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattledog

Reaction score
Hi Group,

Wanted to share some more data. I bought an unfired blued G2 contender 209 .45 cal muzzleloader a couple of weeks ago. I was looking to make this my 200 - 250 yard powerline deer muzzleloader. Prior to shooting I shimmed the barrel to the frame using several 0.005 shim washers due to side to side play between the barrel and frame when it was closed. The shimming worked like a charm to tighten the action when closed. I also found and bought 6 spare breech plugs.

Load One -200 grain SST .40 cal

Temperature 53 F
Pressure 30.22 in Hg
Primer 209 CCI Mag
Powder 100 gains by volume Blackhorn 209
Sabot & Bullet Hornady 0.45 cal 200 Grain SST sabot and bullet box, Part number 67132

Shot #1 2018 FPS (clean, Cold Bore)
Shot #2 2088 FPS
Shot #3 2112 FPS

Notes: Recoil is fine, I like this Muzzleloader!

Load Two - 200 grain SST .40 cal

Temperature 53 F
Pressure 30.22 in Hg
Primer 209 CCI Mag
Powder 120 gains by volume Blackhorn 209
Sabot & Bullet Hornady 0.45 cal 200 Grain SST sabot and bullet box, Part number 67132

Shot #1 2313 FPS
Shot #2 2361 FPS
Shot #3 2112 FPS

Notes: Recoil is fine, Looks like time to buy another scope!

I have a soft spot for short barreled muzzleloaders. The G2 .45 cal was on my want list for about 3 years, it was worth the wait. The down side is that the G2 is almost too pretty for my style of hunting. This rifle will stay out of the salt marshes....

Group size? I got about 1 1/2" 3 shot groups typically with mine. My major issue with the rifle was the location of the firing pin retaining screw.

No grouping yet. I need to pick a scope for the Contender. I have a Nikon Monarch 2 X 8 32mm that may find a home on the rifle. I have not had any issue with the firing pin retaining screw yet. I will keep an eye on it, thank you for the information. I did remove the extractor to make cleaning easier.

B-Square used to make a nice mount base for the Contender. Don't know if they still do or if you could find one of the old ones. Gave more mounting flexibility. http://eabco.com/cssmts.html those keylok mount bases might be just as good or better. Or the mount he calls Extended Eye Relief Scope Base should be a good choice. Warne QD rings and that base might be the cat's meow.

nhmikel said:
Should I get as many primer plugs also? I have a 50 cal sst setup.

I would buy at least a few breech plugs if possible. The contender 209 .50 cal muzzleloader barrel breech plug is very difficult to find and tends to be expensive. I would call TC and see if they are still in production. If not still in production you might want to try calling https://www.prbullet.com/hornet.htm and see if they can make a custom breech plug.

Someone here may have a better suggestion or if it is possible to install a vent liner to your current plug. Good Luck!

Are you sure that in both test loads (load 1 and Load 2) the #3 shots were equal (2112 FPS)?

PD Anson said:
Are you sure that in both test loads (load 1 and Load 2) the #3 shots were equal (2112 FPS)?

Yes, at that time I was weighing the powder and it was all from the same lot. I don't recall the BH209 lot number. I understand there was a drop in the FPS, but that was the collected data from the chronograph at the time. BTW, I will not shoot that rifle with 120 grains of BH209 any longer. recoil was "strong". The rifle is just too light.

Did you buy a g2 contender muzzleloader? I have been looking for an all stainless one or even just the stainless .45 muzzleloader barrel.

I had a chance to buy one of those rifles last fall . I have kicked myself over and over for not buying the rifle . In fact the very next week I decided to buy the gun and lost the guys phone number ! Grrrrrrr.

Very nice purchase . I look forward to some range reports . I think it would make a AWSOME carry gun or kids gun . I'm envious . If you ever decide to sell give me a pm . I would definitley be interested

Hmmm never thought of converting my 22LR Match TC G2 to a 45 ML. I’ll have to look to see if you can still get the bbl and stock for it.

I have been shooting G2 Contender 209x45 with .25ACP breech plug for about 15 years. Right now I am thinking about switching from Triple Seven to BH209. I will be testing BH209 with two breech plugs, .25 ACP and standard T/C 209 breech plug to see which one will work better for me. Since you don’t shoot the 120 grains of BH209, what load you shoot now?

The G2 has become a safe queen. I have though about selling the barrel and breech plugs a few times. The ml barrels on ebay and gunbroker bring excellent money, any price below $400 for the barrel alone is a good price.

I now shoot a Knight Ultalight. The G2 is very nice, but the trigger, stock and recoil pad are better on the Ultralight.

On the TC 209 breech plug, I drilled one out to accept a vent liner. TC is no longer supporting that breech plug. The ventliner made it into a life time plug.

What load are you shooting out of the G2?

I am shooting 100 grain of Triple Seven behind 195 grain Barnes. For practice and load development I use .40 cal 200 gr pistol bullets with sabot. My trigger is pretty good. Had Mike Bellm to work on it years back. While I can tolerate the recoil the walnut butt stock can't. It started cracking.

Try calling TC about the stock cracking. My bet is they send you one for free. Their customer service is improving.

Any issue with the 195 grain barnes not expanding?

Thanks for the advice, will try to call them. So far I had no problem with Barnes 195. I also have Hornady 200 grain SST and will use them after I run out of Barness.

Back