Load for Youngster

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVAWOLF

Reaction score
Hi I am new to muzzleloading and I will be bringing my stepson deer hunting next year and would like to know what bullet weight/powder charge to use for him.

He will be using a CVA Wolf with open sights we will be shooting maximum of 50 yards.

I currently have triple 7 pellets 50 grain and powerbelt 245 gr hollow points.

any recommendations so he won't get gun shy from recoil?

Thanks for any recommendations.

My friend two years ago bought her son a New Frontier Beartooth Magnum which is the CVA Wolf in sheep's clothing is all. She asked me to help him work up a light recoil load so he could hunt.

I got the rifle shooting 85 grains of Triple Se7en and a 245 grain Powerbelt Aerotip. It shot excellent. It also shot the 240 XTP's with the same powder charge. He said it did not kick at all, but he was excited to shoot his muzzleloader.

He shot a nice doe with the Powerbelt and dropped it where it stood. The doe was only about 30 yards away, but the load worked perfect.

Thanks for the info I will get to the range in the spring with him and start with the load you recommended.

CVAWolf,

I started my wife off with a T/C Omega X7 shooting 70 grains of loose H777 and the Duplex Dead Center .357/175 grain bullet in their .50 sabots. The weight of the bullet is a large component of recoil, so starting at the light end helpls. She likes to shoot it, and we were out this morning looking for a deer to plunk.

jim

I certainly look at bullets with a weight of around 200gr, certainly nothing heavier. A 200gr .40cal XTP in a blue mmp 40/50 sabot IS the way I'd go. I'd use that with 60-80gr loose Triple Se7en. I know that works!

My 12 year old used 70 grains of 777 and a 200 grain shock wave. Shot his first dear at 60 yards and it went 40 yards. We pratice with 50-60 grains and a shoulder pad. I sighted in the gun for him at 100 yards with the 70 grain load and did not tell him it had 70 grains in it when we hunted. He never knew the difference.

I just built up a load for my wife and her 6 pound Traditions Pursuit LT youth. I settled on 200grxtp, .429 (44cal) with harvestor green sabot and 70gr of 777 3f. She is very slight of build and shoots it well. I just got a pound of APP to try as I expect even less kick than the 777 with the same 70gr of 3f.
Good luck,
Palmer

I just got a pound of APP to try as I expect even less kick than the 777 with the same 70gr of 3f.

That will be true BUT..70gr of American Pioneer will give markedly less velocity than will 70gr Trile Se7en...

I've been shooting APP 3f loose out of a lot of different rifles and I am not impressed with the powder. I don't mean to step on toes, and if it shoots good for you, then that wonderful. Yes, ignition is good, and cleans easy, and you do not have to swab. But when you can not get the kind of accuracy I insist on out of it, then it is of no value to me. I really think this is my first and last can of the 3f.

Cayuga,
What don't you like about APP specifically? If it isn't accurate for me it's gone in a second. I plan on working up from scratch for best consistency.
thanks for your concern,
Palmer

Latest posts

Back