Looking at heavier projectiles. I could use additional other's opinions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donparadowski

Reaction score
I shoot a T/C Strike using 84.0 gr. by weight of BH 209 powder and a CCI 209 primer to propel a Harvester 300 grain PT gold bullet with their black crushed rib sabot using a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope. It is a solid 200-yard shooter.

I am looking into shooting a heavier projectile, (350, 400 and 435 grain bullets). I have been told by a man who knows a lot more than I do that I need to decrease my powder load. He tells me that (in my words) because the bullet is heavier it spends more time in the barrel thus causing the bullet to enjoy the benefits of more complete burning of the propellant before it exits the barrel. Because of that, it picks up more of the energy of the explosion.

I would appreciate many second opinions. I can be reached here or directly at [email protected]

Last edited:
You don't mention what you're using for a charge at the moment.
I'm no expert by any means but I think that a heavy bullet would drop faster with a lighter powder charge. Get whatever bullets you have in mind and experiment.
I'm sure that someone else here can advise way better than I.

An entire book could be written on this question. I think its called Physics 101.

For entertainment I am doing some work with heavier projectiles myself. Better BC for more energy at distance.

The bullets below are from Mr. Hollow point. I tested the 450HP with 80 grains(v) of T7 with a 209. The gun is a Knight Elite. Probably the same barrel twist as you have. Shoots quarters at 90 yards. A new shipment arrive a few weeks ago so I may try a little hotter load. They are pure lead so not sure how fast they can be pushed. I did use a wad between powder and bullet. Lubed bullet with NASA lube provided by friends here.

I also received samples of the 545 solid and the 620 solid. Going to start with 80 grains for those also and if successful move up in 5 grain increments. A bullet stability calculator says the 545 should work great but the 620 is on the edge.

Always a trade off. Fast and light is flatter trajectory. Slow and heavy carries energy longer.

Get whatever bullets you have in mind and experiment.
Agree with deermanok.

1621505026541.png

You don't mention what you're using for a charge at the moment.
I'm no expert by any means but I think that a heavy bullet would drop faster with a lighter powder charge. Get whatever bullets you have in mind and experiment.
I'm sure that someone else here can advise way better than I.

Done. 84.0 gr. by weight of BH 209 powder.

Don....I think I'd back off the charge weight to maybe 63 weighed grains and test each bullet starting at that point and working upward 5 grains by weight until you get your best accuracy. With the heavier bullets you may see some primer issues before you get back up to your original 84 weighed grains so pay attention to them after firing. I tried some .45 cal cast bullets in the 435 grain range in my Accura with 70 weighed grains of BH209 but I could not get them to fly well...bullets were too long for my 1:28 barrel. Recoil becomes a factor as bullet weight goes up after 300 grains.

If you refer to the pic in post 4 I went out this AM with plumberron and shot the 450, 545, and 620.
At 33 yards. I wasnt sure the 545 or 620 would even hit the paper.

I shot the 450 with 80 and 100 grains(V) of T7 about an inch apart.
545 with 80, 100, 120 grains(v) of T7 mixed in with the 450s.
620 with 80 and 100 grains(v) of T7 mixed with the 450s and 545.
Entire group about the size of a golf ball.

Out of a Knight Elite with 1/28 twst, 209,,wad, NASA lube.

With the higher BC of these bullets I would think they would make a fine choice for elk. I think if your skilled enough to make a killing shot they should do the job at any range.

Back