Looking at light loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
I was just thinking about something and was wondering if Big 6x6 would mind telling us more about the load he used in Kristels gun. I think it was something like 35 grs n110 and a 250 xtp. Is that correct?

My most accurate range load has been 30 grain of 2400 and 175 grain devil. I have taken 1 deer with this load at 105 yards.

Hey Dwight...
I actually started out with 38gr of N-110 and a 250gr SST/Shockwave. I'd let Kristel shoot it a few times and see how she reacted to the charge. I eventually trickled down to 36gr and finally to 34gr of N-110 and the 250gr SST. This is a JEWEL of a load. VERY mild recoil. Kristel is VERY at ease while shooting this load. It's also in the mid-1900fps range.

You know Chuck I think this has been over looked by everyone but you. What I am thinking is this, What is one of the biggest complaints about the Savage with smokeless ? Wait time between shots. This is due to the hotter loads stressing the sabots and sabot failure as we all know. Now what I was wondering and thinking was this. Is the wait time problem non- existent with a load like this? If so, this may be a good base line load to use in the trouble shooting process when someone thinks they might have a bad scope, loose base, etc. I real alot of posts here when someone has problems with the gun and many times I think the problem is insufficient wait time. If we had a load that was not subject to this problem then we could suggest this load to eliminate that variable and help pin point any problems. Besides the obvious use of this load for the smaller and or more recoil sensitive shooters among us of course.
So the question I have been leading up to is this, Is waiting between shots still an issue with this light of a load, and if so is it as significant or measureably less?
Thanks, Rifleman

BTW a 250 xtp at 1900 fps would come mighty close to being the same thing as a 45 long colt out of a carbine. That should be a 150 yd load no problem and recoil should be negligible.

Rifleman said:
You know Chuck I think this has been over looked by everyone but you. What I am thinking is this, What is one of the biggest complaints about the Savage with smokeless ? Wait time between shots. This is due to the hotter loads stressing the sabots and sabot failure as we all know. Now what I was wondering and thinking was this. Is the wait time problem non- existent with a load like this? If so, this may be a good base line load to use in the trouble shooting process when someone thinks they might have a bad scope, loose base, etc. I real alot of posts here when someone has problems with the gun and many times I think the problem is insufficient wait time. If we had a load that was not subject to this problem then we could suggest this load to eliminate that variable and help pin point any problems. Besides the obvious use of this load for the smaller and or more recoil sensitive shooters among us of course.
So the question I have been leading up to is this, Is waiting between shots still an issue with this light of a load, and if so is it as significant or measureably less?
Thanks, Rifleman

I think this is a great idea and 1900 fps is in the range of most BP guns. :yeah:

Now what I was wondering and thinking was this. Is the wait time problem non- existent with a load like this? If so, this may be a good base line load to use in the trouble shooting process when someone thinks they might have a bad scope, loose base, etc. I real alot of posts here when someone has problems with the gun and many times I think the problem is insufficient wait time.

Kristel practically rams those bullets down the Savage as fast as she can. I KNOW her 3-shot groups are shot just as fast as she can shoot them. And ya'll have seen the accuracy of that load. That's REALLY a great idea Dwight!

Thats a great idea! I think I will try that load myself now, except with the 250 xtp and mmp short. Have you tried the xtp's yet Big6x6?

this does sound like a great idea. I've been thinking about a lighter kicking load for my wife to use for next years Mule deer hunt. Really, waiting around for our barrels to cool takes alot of fun out of the process. This looks like a good combo to start with next spring.

I have a friend who I am thinking of setting up with a Savage and he is very inexperienced. I was afraid certain aspects of dealing with this gun would be lost on him and the outcome would be frustration. Sometime in the future I might try this idea out and see what I think. But I think Chuck came up with a great load here that should prove itself useful for several different situations. Anybody else have a good idea for a light load in this class? How about a 250 xtp at 1900 fps with AA5744? What charge weight would get us to this speed?
What about even lighter bullets or even smaller diameter bullets? I was thinking of the Rem 44 mag 180 gr, but I don't know what sabot to use and also changing diameter might prove unsucessful from an accuracy standpoint. But then again a 180 at 1900 would be a great deer killer, I have killed a truckload of deer with that bullet at 1600 fps from a pistol.
I guess the parameters I am thinking of are something like this:
150 yd capability
MOA or less accuracy
very light recoil
no wait time between shots neccessary
Sufficient energy and bullet performance to cleanly kill a deer

Rifleman, 42grns of 5744 and a 300grn XTP is no way 2000fps. It's around 1900 plus. This is a really soft shooting load. The 250grn XTP with 42grns of 5744 is extremely soft shooting. I shot three Deer with that load this year. Basically no recoil at all. Your friend would enjoy any of these loads.

Latest posts

Back