Looking for first percussion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all - I am looking to buy my first percussion…I think I’ve narrowed it down to Traditions Deer Hunter (cheapest), Lyman Deer Stalker, Pedersoli Hawken Hunter.

I’m leaning towards the Lyman, but tempted by the fact that the Pedersoli’s faster twist would allow me to use saboted bullets and non-lead ammo.

Keen to hear people’s experience with questions of accuracy, ease of cleaning etc? - Also on the question of sights: I’ve got middle aged eyes (and middle aged everything else too!) Maryland does not allow scopes for primitive season, was thinking peep…how are the stock sights on any of the three above mentioned?

I currently own 2 Traditions deerhunter rifles. One is a rare 45 caliber and the other a stock 50.
The 50 caliber came with a set of Williams fiber optic sights. I've replaced the rear sight with a Williams Ghost ring. It's made a big difference for me and my older eyes.
For a budget rifle, it shoots darn good with a patched ball or conical bullet. My favorite being the Hornady 240 grain PA conical.

Hi all - I am looking to buy my first percussion…I think I’ve narrowed it down to Traditions Deer Hunter (cheapest), Lyman Deer Stalker, Pedersoli Hawken Hunter.

I’m leaning towards the Lyman, but tempted by the fact that the Pedersoli’s faster twist would allow me to use saboted bullets and non-lead ammo.

Keen to hear people’s experience with questions of accuracy, ease of cleaning etc? - Also on the question of sights: I’ve got middle aged eyes (and middle aged everything else too!) Maryland does not allow scopes for primitive season, was thinking peep…how are the stock sights on any of the three above mentioned?
Those stock sights will be tough for older eyes. Mine are 75 this year and all I use anymore are peep rear, globe front for targets and a green fiber optic sight for hunting. An adjustable aperture is handy for different light conditions but if you don’t have one err on the side of caution and use a slightly larger aperture. Get the smallest fiber optic you can because some of them will cover way too much target… peep sights will keep you in the game!

I have the .50 cal Deerstalker and it's quite a good gun. I have a globe sight on the front and a Williams peep on the back. Honestly the globe crosshairs are rather fine and causes me some frustration. I really like deermanok's idea at least for myself. I think the ghost ring would be a good way to go for old eyes.

He is probably looking to buy something new.

Yes, something new. I’d even be open to ordering something custom if someone had a recommendation. I really want a percussion side lock, but I really want it to have a fast twist for saboted bullets AND I would really want it to have a user removable breech plug like in lines have. If someone could make that for me…

Yes, something new. I’d even be open to ordering something custom if someone had a recommendation. I really want a percussion side lock, but I really want it to have a fast twist for saboted bullets AND I would really want it to have a user removable breech plug like in lines have. If someone could make that for me…
Only sidelocks I know with removable breech plugs are RMC.
However, all their sidelocks are flintlocks, no percussion. Their barrel twists are 1-28”. I have spoken with them several times about making a line in percussion but they won’t. They gear more towards the Pennsylvania hunters for the flinch lock season.
I am from western Frederick county Maryland. What part of the Freestate do you reside in?

Only sidelocks I know with removable breech plugs are RMC.
However, all their sidelocks are flintlocks, no percussion. Their barrel twists are 1-28”. I have spoken with them several times about making a line in percussion but they won’t. They gear more towards the Pennsylvania hunters for the flinch lock season.
I am from western Frederick county Maryland. What part of the Freestate do you reside in?
Montgomery Cty.

I've always been pleasantly surprised by the accuracy and quality of Traditions barrels. Folks complain about their locks, but I've never had a problem with any of mine. You don't stay in business long if your parts aren't good.

My Lyman GPR is fantastic and does exactly what I need to do, though their stock rear sight is garbage.

Good luck!

Well here's the skinny. Of the 3, barrels are all pretty good. I'd rank them 1) Pedersoli 2) Lyman (but very close to Pedersoli) and 3) Traditions. This ranking is entirely qualitative. Pedersoli generally has great fit and finish as does Lyman. Traditions is a bit lacking in the wood and finish dept. You get what you pay for. Traditions locks are also a bit behind Pedersoli. That's not to say they're unuseable but if you could put all three on a table and handle each, you'd see what I mean. Folks I know who do a lot of shooting with Traditions nearly always end up replacing the lock at some time.

Now as to ammo- since you mentioned cleaning, sabot has it's own set of issues as the plastic can make for a nasty cleaning problem. Shoot a good conical and you'll have great results and far easier to clean. I wouldn't diss a patch round ball either. Within 100yd and a good charge, it will go completely through bambi. Leave the sabot to the inlines with rifling designed for them.

Sights- you'll want either a ghost ring or post and notch type. Peep sights are great on the range but in low light in the woods, they can limit when you can shoot.

IMO, you need to know what type of bullet you wish to use, then pick a twist for that bullet. Then pick the muzzleloader for that particular use. I don't shoot sabots, so I cannot help you with that. For your first percussion, I wouldn't go cheap, but I also wouldn't go all in. See if you like it first. If you are looking at new rifles, Pedersoli makes the best. The current Lymans are Pedersoli made. Investarms, which made the older Lymans, makes a decent rifle for the money. If you are looking for used? Thompson Center or one of the ones I mentioned above. If you find you really fall in love with a percussion, definitely by a nice used T/C. If you choose sabots or long conicals you can put a Green Mountain or Rice Barrel on it.
Dan

Latest posts

Back