Looking into a Knight.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg, I really hope Knight comes through for you. I know I would be at the end of my rope if I were you. I think the American muzzleloader companies are really struggling right now. While gun sales have been phenomenal in general, I don't think muzzleloader sales are anything like they were a few years ago. Couple that with competition from a foreign company, (with much lower imputs), that from all reports has come up with pretty good product and you are going to have a hard time convincing people pay more for your product. Problems with customer service are an indicator that the company is having problems, let's hope they get it turned around.
I wish T/C and Knight all the best. It is best for muzzleloading to have at least a few good companies in competition with one another.

flounder said:
Greg, I really hope Knight comes through for you. I know I would be at the end of my rope if I were you. I think the American muzzleloader companies are really struggling right now. While gun sales have been phenomenal in general, I don't think muzzleloader sales are anything like they were a few years ago. Couple that with competition from a foreign company, (with much lower imputs), that from all reports has come up with pretty good product and you are going to have a hard time convincing people pay more for your product. Problems with customer service are an indicator that the company is having problems, let's hope they get it turned around.
I wish T/C and Knight all the best. It is best for muzzleloading to have at least a few good companies in competition with one another.

Thanks. I think that Knight is probably a good company & every other part of this gun seems to be the highest quality I've seen. This is my 4th Knight over my years of hunting but, the only one I've had problems with. I understand that Knight is busy & it gets worse as seasons begin to open but, with that said, I need to be able to use this gun & I really don't believe that any one elses problem is more important than mine as any customer having an issue should feel. I've spent a LOT of money & I deserve to be taken care of & taken care of quickly & correctly without it costing me more money.

GregK said:
smyrnagc said:
Some time ago I had the same problem with W209 primers in my Knight LRH. I posted on the forum and found out that the W209 primers are pretty long, maybe the longest, as primers go. I switched to CCI209M primers, which is one of the primers that BH recommends, and didn't have any more problems. I noticed you use CCI primers on your other rifle, might want to try them.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had used CCI Mag in the Knight before the old bolt & the primers were getting stuck in the bolt face due to improper sealing from the shorter primers. Knight says their plugs & bolts are designed for W209 because they are the longest & they create proper sealing & eliminate the blow back that causes the primers to stick in the bolt, or the plug, & do make a lot bigger mess for cleaning. The bottom line is that Knight has put out a system that doesn't work properly & shouldn't have been released until it was right. I've shot for years & IMHO, no gun should act like this after 3 shots......especially with the newest upgraded bolt & plug.

Not that this helps you a bit...but I have several Knights with the new breech plug... and yes on occasion I do get one stuck in the bolt face when the primer backs out of the battery cup. The primer is just pressure fit in the cup and not always are they as tight as they could be.

The W209 is the best primer to shoot in a Knight because of its length. There is no reason the to shoot a Mag primer in the Knight Breech Plug. Using a mag primer only creates more back pressure and clog the flash channel of the breech plug quicker than a cooler primer. The heat transfer from primer to powder is so efficient that Mag primers are just a waste of time.

I really would like to see your flash channel after 3 shots... just wonder what it might look like. Are you cleaning it out with a 5/32" drill bit when you clean the rifle? I shoot T7 and I am able to shoot up to 40-50 shots before problems start to show up. But, with BH the build up does occur much faster and the addition of a Mag primer even accelerates that.

Hope you get it figured out soon...

What about in a Lehigh Breech Plug Mike? All of my Knights have the Lehigh conversion and I have never had a CCI209M stick in the LHBP but had the W209s stick.

smyrnagc said:
What about in a Lehigh Breech Plug Mike? All of my Knights have the Lehigh conversion and I have never had a CCI209M stick in the LHBP but had the W209s stick.

The first question I would ask is struck where? In the breech plug -it will not extract or in the face of the bolt and it will not fall out?

sabotloader said:
smyrnagc said:

The first question I would ask is struck where? In the breech plug -it will not extract or in the face of the bolt and it will not fall out?

Not 100% sure...I could not open the bolt to get it out so I don't know. Once I finally got the bolt to open it fell out.

Mine are sticking in the new breech plug after only 3 shots. Don't know if they will stick in the bolt rails because that used to take about 10 shots. 3 shots is way short of that.

I had the exact problem with a Lehigh BP back in the Fall of 2011 and started this thread. It lead me to use only Federal 209A or CCI209M primers due to longer and wider (by diameter) primers sticking.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20795

The bolt & the breech plug are brand new replacements from Knight to cure this same problem I was having with the originals

Have you tried a different package of primers? Making sure that they are not from the same Lot. It is possible that the problem lies in the primer itself and not with the gun. Just a thought, the system as a whole is designed for the W209 whish has been said several times and it has been proven that those are some of the longest primers on the market. This creates a problem when using shorter primers. I purchased a DISC Elite from sabotloader and he sent it to me with two plugs. One which is stock and one that had been shimmed to use the Rem STS. You might want to look into shimming your plug to use a shorter primer. I will say that my plugs are both Lehigh's but other than the removable ventliner I see no difference.

Gordy called & he is polishing & prepping a new plug to specifically match the W209 champfer & over nighting it to me free, so I'm getting back to happy again & very hopeful.

Good deal...I have dealt with Gordy on several occasions and he is a good guy and asset to Knight. Glad it worked out.

I hope to be on the range Wednesday & will report back.

I made it out Thursday & the new breech plug & bolt worked pretty good. I did get a few primers hanging up in the breech plug but, not like before. It started after about 15 shots. The primers do come out pretty sooted & began to stick in the rails of the bolt but the bolt comes out easily & I cleaned the rails & was right back to shooting. I found a couple of accurate loads but the Barnes 290 in the EZ load blue sabot that is any but in the Knight. I'm headed back out next week to hopefully fine tune the Apex & see what I want to use for a hunting load in the Knight.

hmm, those are some dirty looking primers, and a lot of soot on the outside end of the BP...I never get it that bad, even after 50+ shots. even my threads just come back with blue grease. (Im still using the old whites super 1000). :think:

Did you put any grease on the plug? The plug and primers are very sooty. Something is still not sealed up correctly. You mention that you have an Apex too. The knights don't seal like the CVA does. I would wrap that plug with Teflon tape or at least use some grease on it. Still that will not solve the sooty primers. It looks like it is grouping good though.

I do use grease on the plug & run a fine line around the first thread & then screw it in. I have seen pics of primers from these guns that were as clean as new & I'd sure like to have that. I'm not having as many issues as fast but, I am going to send these pics to Gordy & see what he thinks.

GregK said:
I do use grease on the plug & run a fine line around the first thread & then screw it in. I have seen pics of primers from these guns that were as clean as new & I'd sure like to have that. I'm not having as many issues as fast but, I am going to send these pics to Gordy & see what he thinks.
Ok. Could not tell in the picture, looked like the threads were dry. Hang in there and keep pushing them, I'm sure Gordy will get it figured out. Have you ever tried Teflon tape in the plug threads? Since trying it, it is all I use now. It is surprising to see a Mountaineer that dirty. That Plug looks like it came out of my KRB7 before I did some modifying to it. The blow back was terrible in that rifle, but it was just a Design issue with the Rolling Blocks.

Latest posts

Back