Lyman 457121PH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe it or not I think when cast in pure soft lead that bullet is suppose to obturate to the shape of the Whitworth barrel and work quite well.

I thought it would be .457ish as the mold is marked such. The bullet of that size will never go down a .451” Whitworth easily- probably will need a hammer or such?
SAD and another example of ignorance or arrogance or both. I’ve seen this type crap from ML companies more than I ever thought I would..all they have to do is know a little ML history.

Believe it not I didn’t seem to have an issue resizing them to 452 or 451 with pure lead and already lubed (I pan lube my bullets first before sizing). Now if they weren’t lubed yep I could see rolled/edges on the base of the bullets. At least that was my experience.

Ed, no doubt sizing in a press can achieve a desired diameter.
Lyman molds are stated to cast their #2 alloy to the mold diameter - .457..
The PH (Whitworth) bullet should be .451-.452. Cast and shoot.

Ed, no doubt sizing in a press can achieve a desired diameter.
Lyman molds are stated to cast their #2 alloy to the mold diameter - .457..
The PH (Whitworth) bullet should be .451-.452. Cast and shoot.
Lyman chose an old cataloged existing design for the PH repro rifle probably because of existing tooling. Also included with the rifle along with the mold was a sizing die.

No doubt I'd like it better if it didn't require as much sizing. It sure goes through the sizer easy though, probably due to its design. It sure shoots well too. The main thing I have against the mold/design is how much I have to beat on the handle nut to get it to release the bullet. This one http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-500A-D.png
from Accurate is very similar. I'm wondering if any of you have shot it.

No doubt I'd like it better if it didn't require as much sizing. It sure goes through the sizer easy though, probably due to its design. It sure shoots well too. The main thing I have against the mold/design is how much I have to beat on the handle nut to get it to release the bullet. This one http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-500A-D.png
yes in a HP , made by 52 bore , here is a picture

Attachments

• 52914738_1997777923675139_296864982698557440_o.jpg
    52914738_1997777923675139_296864982698557440_o.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 5

That Accurate Molds Bullet does look an AWFUL Lot like this Lyman Bullet

Latest posts

Back