Lyman gph signature or pedersoli traditional hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been thinking of adding a sidelock to my line up for awhile. I am torn between the Lyman gph sig. and the pedersoli hunter in .54. I like the idea of a 1-24 twist in either as I will be shooting cast bullets. Both are made by pedersoli so I they both should be well made. I like the idea of the rubber butt pad on the traditional hunter. Sounds like the ghost ring sucks so would replace with a peep, the gph would also get a peep. Guess I am asking what you all think, and what your experience or opinions are? I have plenty of time in no rush to buy.

That would definitely be a coin toss for a lot of people I'm sure. I like the 1-24' twist barrels. They seem to be about the same price.
I guess you would have to compare the differences and determine which one comes out on top for you.

I like the looks of the dark furniture on the Lyman GPH Signature. I also like a side lock to have a hooked breech. Break down for barrel removal and cleaning is a snap with the hooked breech.

The Pendersoli is a pretty gun and looks like it would be comfortable to shoot with that rubber butt pad. However ,I don't like the idea of having to back out that screw and swing my peep sight out of the way every time I need to remove the barrel for cleaning.
I would probably lean more towards the Lyman if I had to choose.

I agree with the coin toss, it’s just one of those things where every time I look at them one or the other catches my eye. My have to swing by the gun works. Don’t think they have any pedersoli’s but I know they carry some lyman’s, will see if they have gph sig.’s to fondle.

I agree with the coin toss, it’s just one of those things where every time I look at them one or the other catches my eye. My have to swing by the gun works. Don’t think they have any pedersoli’s but I know they carry some lyman’s, will see if they have gph sig.’s to fondle.
Yes. The opportunity to hold , fondle both and shoulder both guns would most likely clinch your decision. I know it would mine.

I'll chime in with one thing, relating to the recoil pads. I was really put off of crescent butt plates based on horror stories of them. When I got my first one I bought a leather pad and stuffed it full of foam and was still anxious to shoot it. Pretty soon l realised my concerns were entirely unwarranted and I removed the pad very quickly. I'd go as far as saying they're as comfortable to shoot as rubber pads on a well built gun. Don't let it put you off your decision.

Attachments

• 20210515_131144.jpg
    20210515_131144.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back