Lyman is out of the Muzzleloading Firearms Business.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I just talked with a Lyman customer rep concerning their products. He flat out said, Lyman will no longer carry Muzzleloading Firearms. They will no longer import them from any manufacturer.

I asked about other products, such as sights. He said the 57 GPR & 57 SML line is still in production, and as of now, they will still carry them. Things may change as far as what they contract, import & sell. But Muzzleloaders are definitely Out.

Last edited:
Less competition is not good for us.
Most of the muzzleloading manufacturers went to In-Lines. I guess, Lyman wanted to stay traditional or not sell any at all.
Pedersoli, Investarms and Traditions seem to be the the only ones left. There are several who make rifles by hand, but they cost more than I could ever afford.

Last edited:
Lyman was selling the Mustang inline just recently or at least it was listed on their website for ages.

Lyman was selling the Mustang inline just recently or at least it was listed on their website for ages.
The Lyman web site hasn't had any muzzleloaders listed on their web page for Months. That is one of the reasons I called. They do have a firearms page with a Muzzleloader tab, which goes nowhere.
The Lyman Customer Rep was adamant. No more Firearms. Period.

Thompson Center (S&W), Remington and Browning no longer manufacture muzzlleloaders.
Pedersoli has had a lot of trouble getting raw materials.
CVA no longer makes side locks.
The industry is changing.

Last edited:
If you have any kind of traditional style ML, you better hold onto it and take care of it. They are fading fast other than custom builds. IMHO

Guys, I hate to say this, but we are a dying breed. The NEW generation of Muzzle Loader hunters wants to shoot Muzzle Loaders that shoot faster, flatter and further. Especially with Muzzle Loaders that shoot smokeless powder so they don't have to clean immediately if at all. Not to mention the states that are banning the use of Lead bullets. It appears to me, the days of true Muzzle Loaders whose maximum range of 100 yds or so are fading away. I can see in the not-so-far-away future there will no longer be a dedicated ML season but an open season to use what you want. :mad:

God, Please Tell Me I'm WRONG!

Guys, I hate to say this, but we are a dying breed. The NEW generation of Muzzle Loader hunters wants to shoot Muzzle Loaders that shoot faster, flatter and further. Especially with Muzzle Loaders that shoot smokeless powder so they don't have to clean immediately if at all. Not to mention the states that are banning the use of Lead bullets. It appears to me, the days of true Muzzle Loaders whose maximum range of 100 yds or so are fading away. I can see in the not-so-far-away future there will no longer be a dedicated ML season but an open season to use what you want. :mad:

Those using modern ML's are not into ML. IMHO They are using the closet thing they can find to a modern rifle that will allow them to hunt in another season to kill more. If tomorrow the riles changed and they could use a regular rifle they would dump the ML in a NY min. Modern Inlines should never have been allowed for hunting during a ML season. If you want to use one you can use it during the regualr season. See how many would sigh up for that!! LOl,LOL, None! IMHO

I have to agree, and we have done it to ourselves by supporting the relentless push for technological advancement. Happening in archery as well as muzzleloaders. In 1997 I turned away from compound bows and returned to the simple recurves that I started with in 1965. I started muzzleloading with a TC Omega inline variant called the Northwest Explorer in 2010, moved on to the Traditions Vortek strikerfire in about 2015, and now I've abandoned inlines in favor of a Renegade, which I'm finding to be MUCH more enjoyable.

To me, the big objective is to encourage primitive weapons hunting of all kinds, for these reasons: 1) It takes more hunter-days for each animal killed, which means more recreational opportunity for the same impact on the wildlife populations, and thus allows for longer seasons; 2) Because primitive weapons are more difficult, they require more hunting skills and deeper knowledge of the animals and their ecology. A hunter population with better hunting skills and deeper knowledge of wildlife makes for better public relations and better wildlife management; 3) Preservation of important parts of our cultural heritage; and 4) Primitive weapons are safer, and are thus more compatible with heavier human populations, which is increaseingly important in our world.

I think that Montana's approach to muzzleloaders is great: Hunt with any weapon(s) you want during the General season. Then, to encourage primitive weapons hunting, there's a Heritage Muzzleloader season in which only iron-sighted sidelocks shooting loose powder and full-bore all-lead bullets are legal. No fiber optics, no luminescent paint, no 209 primers, no smokeless powder, etc. I think the Heritage season should be between the archery season (4 September - 17 October) and the General season (most of November) rather than after the General, but at least we're moving in the right direction.

I will be advocating for a similar structure with archery seasons: A three week traditional (no wheels, single string, no mechanical release aids, no fiber optics or lenses, etc.) season, followed by a two week any archery season.

When I first started hunting with a muzzleloader in my home state of Connecticut, the rule was patched round ball only, flintlock or percussion, iron sights only.
Nothing against inlines or Blackhorn 209, scopes and all the rest but I do wish there was a truly primitive season.
Out here in Oklahoma, we enjoy a very long archery season. I'd be willing to give up a week or ten days of archery for a true primitive season.

To me, the big objective is to encourage primitive weapons hunting of all kinds, for these reasons: 1) It takes more hunter-days for each animal killed, which means more recreational opportunity for the same impact on the wildlife populations, and thus allows for longer seasons; 2) Because primitive weapons are more difficult, they require more hunting skills and deeper knowledge of the animals and their ecology. A hunter population with better hunting skills and deeper knowledge of wildlife makes for better public relations and better wildlife management; 3) Preservation of important parts of our cultural heritage; and 4) Primitive weapons are safer, and are thus more compatible with heavier human populations, which is increaseingly important in our world.

Plus it makes you a better shot and makes you concentrate more on placement of your shot and know your limitations. Here in PA in our late ML season we are restricted to Flintlock’s only. In some ways I’m ok with it, but I wish they would open it up to include percussion sidelocks and Prohibit In-Lines.

Plus it makes you a better shot and makes you concentrate more on placement of your shot and know your limitations. Here in PA in our late ML season we are restricted to Flintlock’s only. In some ways I’m ok with it, but I wish they would open it up to include percussion sidelocks and Prohibit In-Lines.

Sorry I must have deleted the quotes symbols

When I first started hunting with a muzzleloader in my home state of Connecticut, the rule was patched round ball only, flintlock or percussion, iron sights only.
Pennsylvania has 2 muzzleloader seasons. The First one in October is "anything goes."
The Second one begins after Christmas and through January. It is still primitive.
Patched round ball or ball-et, primitive (open) sights, and Flintlock.

Modern Inlines should never have been allowed for hunting during a ML season. If you want to use one you can use it during the regualr season. See how many would sigh up for that!! LOl,LOL, None! IMHO
You meen like ive done for the last 15ish years. Maybe if you educated yourself about the differences in seasons by state you would see how wrong your statement is. Ours is after firearms and its the exact same tag as firearms. You dont get a separate tag here or any additional tags for using a ML.

I use mine each firearms season whether its my smokeless or my smokers. :rolleyes:

Maybe if you educated yourself about the differences in seasons by state you would see how wrong your statement is. Ours is after firearms and its the exact same tag as firearms. You dont get a separate tag here or any additional tags.
I don't understand your comment. To my knowledge, there are no differences in tags, just what is allowed in different seasons. So, to Snake Pleskin, muzzleloader season should be sidelock only. It's the same tag as regular rifle, just a different season. I see nothing wrong in his comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back