Lyman is out of the Muzzleloading Firearms Business.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think that the projectile should be limited to a PRB.
I believe the projectile should be a lead PRB or lead conical, but not a sabot. That seems to be where we disagree. It would not bother me if PA came out with a regulation for a rifle twist of 1:48 or slower. All of those were made prior to 1800.

But Henry makes superb big-bore lever rifles with nicely inletted and finished walnut stocks in Rice Lake Wisconsin and sells them for $850.
I'm sure Henry does, but it isn't where thay are made, it's what they make. There seems to be a much larger market for cartridge, breech loaders, than for a quality muzzleloader. Henry has had its problems too. Look how many times it's been sold.

Sidelock Muzzleloader seem to be a dying breed. People want in-lines and breech loaders, so to produce a quality sidelock muzzleloader will cost... A lot. No matter where they are made.

BTW, I would like to see T/C come back and be made in the U.S., but I don't know if I could afford their rifles, if they kept their quality standards. I don't want their rifles if the quality drops. So, even though I love Thompson Center, I probably wouldn't buy one.

Agreed. If anyone remembers the T/C Hawken was $995 when they dropped it back in 2012.
The question is, what did a quality Pedersoli Hawken cost in 2012? I thought it was around $650. That means a T/C Hawken today, may cost upwards of $1,800 today. Wow.

Last edited:
Just to throw a rock into the mix...
I think I know of at least one state that defines a legal firearm for their Primitive Season as any straight wall cartridge single shot rifle. All muzzle loaders are okay and .45/70 and .35 Whelen are a couple of legal loads.
That is why one has to be careful of a label. It is the intent of the law. Every state has the Right to define its hunting and game laws. There are several states who, like Pennsylvania, who define it as a rifle (technology) before 1800. The problem is those who do not want to be restricted to that era, attack the law and its proponents. They feel the law should be changed for their pleasure and should allow, sabots, in-lines, fiber optic sights or scopes.

The purest isn't attacking the everything goes shooter. It's the other way around. The Game Laws which restrict them, they hate and attack. Those states which have (or had) a primitive muzzleloader (rifle technology before 1800) season are being attacked by those who want everything allowed. They want to take away what we have for their own use. And if you read through this thread, you will find they even attack those who defend the Primitive season.

The mantra of the modern muzzleloader is: "Why should they have their own season? It restricts what we want. We want it all. Screw the traditionalist (Primitive) shooter. We will impose our views on them."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back