measureing smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
I was wondering if one of ya kind folks could help me out. I'm reloading for a 7.62 (first time smokeless reloader here :wink: ) My data says 44.3 grains of powder...now is smokeless measured in volume? I sure hope so because 44.3 grains weighted is one heck of LOT of bang.
For giggles I poured one dipper full (the recommended amount for what I am loading) of powder in my muzzle loader measure and it measured at about 45 grains.

So...I guess I just need someone with more experience to say I'm right or wrong before I go ahead and seat a bullet...or loose a hand or worse.

thanks.

Cell

44.3 would be weighed on a reloading scale not a muzzleloader volume measurer. You would say set your powder thrower to throw roughly a 44gr charge then trickle the 3 tenths in. I try to keep my rifle loads simple by adjusting in 1/2 gr increments. So if the book calls for 44.3 then start at 43 and work your way up looking for pressure signs on the case and primer after firing 3 shot groups of each. I am by no means an expert reloader but have reloaded a fair share of .223, 308, 7mm and 6.8 Rem and this method has worked for me.

Thanks.

Is there a scale made for just reloading smokeless? I have a scale that weighs in grains, but when I dumped my lee dipper (should be 44 grains from the dipper...its the one that came with my kit) on my scale it reads 2. something grains.

Shoot...thinking about it I wonder if I had the dang thing set to grams. Ill look into it tomorrow and post back.

thanks for the reply

Cell

Yes it's by weight, with smokeless. You need to practice with your scale until you have it down pat. Some of the lighter bullets of a KNOWN weight work fine as a 'check weight' for your practicing. A simple '5-0-5' RCBS beam type scale works great but you have to set it up and read it correctly. I use the Lee dippers but back it up with a scale.

I'm good :wink:

Turns out I did have the scale set to grams. I knew something was fishy when the load I measured wouldn't even fit in the case. I thought it was a little weird that the load actually measured up right in my black powder measure...but don't worry Ill be weighing in for smokeless.I like having ten fingers. :D

Thanks for the help.

Cell

Back