Measuring blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I beagle

Reaction score
I got a new rifle and want to shoot blackhorn. What is best way to measure this powder. By weight or volume. I've seen people talking about both ways, just wanted thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Either is fine. I weigh it just because its easy for me with my Chargemaster scale. Push a button and mine weighs/dispenses powder. Rinse repeat until ive filled the number of tubes i need for the day. I would not bother weighing it if i had to use a beam scale.

Would a T/C Clear View Powder Measure be a Good Choice?
LFM

That was my next question, I've been shooting 777 for years loose, but my powder measure only has increments of 10. Is there a good powder measure that someone could recommend that goes by 5 gr increments? Thanks

That was my next question, I've been shooting 777 for years loose, but my powder measure only has increments of 10. Is there a good powder measure that someone could recommend that goes by 5 gr increments? Thanks

You may wanna weigh a few charges to see just how accurate it is tho.....T/C Clear View Powder Measure
tc-u-view-powder-measure.jpg

Is It Not; Either Weight or Volume as long as You Stick with one once you find the best Amount for your ML? As years Ago the T/C was Popular Powder Measure since BH does not come in Pellet Form like others... Maybe things have "change"?
LFM

Is It Not; Either Weight or Volume as long as You Stick with one once you find the best Amount for your ML? As years Ago the T/C was Popular Powder Measure since BH does not come in Pellet Form like others... Maybe things have "change"?
LFM

Huh!!!!!!

Mr. Beagle,

One way is to measure by volume, then tune the load by weight. Here the RCBS Uniflow measure is used to drop charges of Blackhorn. The Uniflow is set by using the U-View measure. The Uniflow can quickly drop several loads. Each load can be adjusted by using the scale, or not. In this thread each load was dropped into the U-View, to provide a visual. The U-View is set at 100g. Note the top of the loads are all hovering at 10g; net load is 90g. Normally the U-View is in the closet.

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG

IMG_3959.JPG

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3945.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3947.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

IMG_3949.JPG

IMG_3950.JPG

IMG_3951.JPG

IMG_3952.JPG

IMG_3954.JPG

I measure BH by volume using a TC Uview. It shoots as well as I do. It's possible that weighing charges would make a difference, and if I were shooting competition I might try it. But I'm not and it's nice to be able to throw charges on sight if I feel like adjusting something.

I Should have also mentioned I Like to Keep Things "Simple" So I cannot see having to weight an amount to Confirm it is the "same" I understand some like to be much more "exact" And when You can afford to go that extra step great but as I mention "Simple" is just for some of Us trying to get or stay in to Muzzleloading. I could just stick with my Centerfire Rifles but I like to try getting Set Up with a ML and this for me using a T/C Clear View Powder Measure seems to be the "Simplest" & easiest" way to Measure Loose Powder. Maybe for some they want to be more exact great but I am one "Keeping It Simple" or the "KIS" Factor at least years back it was for some measuring the Amount of BH 209 when it first came along. ...
LFM

Busta no on paramount, just an optima. And never hurts to remind of the maximum charge. Thanks for all the info guys. I have something similar to the tc u view but mine is not in 5 gr. Increments. Maybe I will pick one up, sure wouldn't hurt.

Ron, I certainly can appreciate the example posted above but yesterday when I saw it it seemed something was a little off. I just realized what it was. Maybe it won't even make a difference but I'm curious if the numbers would be different if the cylinder were filled to the top and the funnel swindled to level off the top? As you had it, it leaves the amount filled based on the section time to decide to stop pouring and how many extra granules fall out while you're tipping it up. As I said, perhaps it won't make a difference but I'm still curious.

My post didn't make it clear that the U-View was not used to measure the powder. The powder was measured by the RCBS Uniflow powder measure. The U-View was basically just used to carry the powder from the Uniflow to the scale. The U-View also showed us the powder charge was about 90g. The U-View was set to allow 10g of air on top so for to avoid spilling powder.

Filling the U-View to the top, and striking off the powder to get a measurement, is how i would do it, if measuring powder. The U-View is used to establish the setting on the RCBS measure. Then the U-View goes into the closet, and is never used again. Filling vials using the Uniflow is so easy, fast, and efficient. If one is fussy, one can also weigh each charge, dropped by the Uniflow. Myself, i do tend to weigh each charge, as a check, but i don't make them all weigh exactly the same.

Another point. The density of this particular lot of Blackhorn is such that the maximum load of 120g weighs 91g.

Another point. The density of this particular lot of Blackhorn is such that the maximum load of 120g weighs 91g.

That (I think) is the issue with Blackhorn and weighing/measuring. I'm not totally sure why BH weighs differently in different batches but it seems to. Personally I use volume, and while I have weighed my loads during testing...its pretty darn close to even each time just throwing a volume charge. Enough so that I don't worry about it as a hunter and recreational shooter.

imo consistency is the key whatever route you choose.

Thanks for the clarification Ron. I was of the impression you were establishing the difference in weight when measuring by volume. Your clarification and process makes sense, and if I would have thought about it I probably could have figured that out. Why else would you have the picture of the Uniflow?

Still I’m curious now what the consistency is when measuring by volume from load to load?

grains.jpg

Using the RCBS Uniflow, several vials were quickly loaded with 90 grain of Blackhorn powder. The powder in each vial was weighed, and the result in grains recorded. Shown above.

Does this answer the question about consistency?

It measures out of my Lee Perfect Powder Measure just fine. I throw 75 grains (weight) with the Lee PPM, then trickle up to 77 grains right on the digital scale. BH209 trickles & throws just like Hodgdon 4831-SC for me. Western's literature says it's safe to use smokeless powder measuring equipment, so I do. Measured charges go into Blackhorn tubes which are about the best containers I've found. (See their FAQ #8: http://www.blackhorn209.com/faqs/ if you haven't already.)

This may seem more sophisticated a process than you want, but at $1.00+ per bullet/sabot pairing fired, and having often gotten 3 holes touching at the 200 yard target line this way, I find it worthwhile. Plus, if I have to reload in the blind after taking my shot in the last 30 minutes of legal shooting light, I won't have to fumble with a measure nor wonder how far my POI will shift from a different charge, SST-300's having the rainbow trajectory they do to begin with.

I do not rely on the scales printed on the Blackhorn brand tubes for measuring the charges under any conditions, because many have the graduations printed in locations so different from tube to tube as to be apparent to the naked eye. But they do make great containers for loads measured by other means.

Last edited:
T/C U-View is set up in 5 grain increments to 125 grains. Just remember 120 grains by VOLUME, and 84 grains by WEIGHT is the maximum charge for 209. Unless you have a New CVA Paramount.

View attachment 3642

https://accessories.tcarms.com/product/u-veiw-powder-measure-2/

Great picture spread! Personally, I like weighing because measuring by volume means measuring a fluctuating mixture ratio of powder and air space from one load to the next. Weighing shows the actual powder mass being fired. If it was an American Pioneer Powder product in question, I wouldn't care, but Blackhorn has the capability to turn out real accuracy if precisely measured. Same reason I don't use Lee Dippers when reloading .308 for competition. I will still measure Goex by volume because I'm too cheap to spring for a Black Powder Cartridge measure, but I'm only going to be shooting that in a side hammer rifle with open iron sights and a 24" barrel anyway. (Not exactly a 200 yard tack driver, with my fuzzy eyesight anyway...)

Latest posts

Back