mechanical broadheads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chaded said:
No they don't all lock in place. Some do but some don't.
I asked a bow shop once about mechanical broadheads, and he only carried the ones that lock. He recommended the locking ones if you are using a low-poundage bow because if you didn't get a pass-through, the locking models will continue to slice-n-dice every time the deer takes a step.

One broadhead I have heard good reviews of is the Ramcat. It is a fixed-blade, three blade broadhead. It gets good penetration and is very accurate(doesn't seem to windplane). It also has a solid stainless steel body.
It may be a good broadhead to use if you have a low-poundage bow.

ok the momentum calculater says my bow is at 0.5121 that sounds low but the kinetic is at 60 which is good. I must not understand the momentum thing. :confused:

I was at a local sports shop this weekend and seen some new rage mechanicals 40ke they are made for low poundage bows and all you need is 40lbs kenetic energy and ur all set

bmd1023 said:
ok the momentum calculater says my bow is at 0.5121 that sounds low but the kinetic is at 60 which is good. I must not understand the momentum thing. :confused:
Yeah Momentum is a much lower number but .5121 is a good number to have. High .40's and up are what a person should strive for when hunting if possible.

pilsbury38 said:
I was at a local sports shop this weekend and seen some new rage mechanicals 40ke they are made for low poundage bows and all you need is 40lbs kenetic energy and ur all set
Yeah I think you would be good. Another one that is not supposed to require much KE is the Trophy Taker Ulmer Edge. I haven't used it but it performed pretty well in testing on a Archery forum that I'm on.

:no:

Never had a problem with the fixed blade MAGNUS STINGERS 4 Blade 150 gr. or the Woodsman 3 Blade. They are "cut on contact broadheads" and you never had to worry if they were going to open properly. I have taken deer, boar and a cow elk with my recurve and 150 gr 4 blade MAGNUS STINGERS. Just deer with the Woodsman125 gr. If interested you can see the Woodsman by going to ...3riversarchery.com.........an then click on broadheads..... 8)

Ray........ ;)

Back