Messed up! Big Time

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron S

Reaction score
Went out to a friends in the country today to shoot my ML10-II. There were a bunch of his family there and my wife,and our yellow lab Belle. I was shooting in a field at 2 liter bottles with water in them at 200yds. While I was loading the gun,my wife was trying to get the dog to stay off the road. I stoped loading and went to help her. Got back to the bench and primed the gun,took aim and wham! I thought it was going to knock me off the bench! I had left the ram rod in! What a dumb mistake! Anyway we went into town and got my other ram rod. While I was at home I removed the breech plug,and wiped out the barrel,it looked ok. Then I thought that I would run a sabot,with the bullet in it to check out the barrel. Well about two inches ahead of where the bullet seats there was a loose spot. Now I'm getting pretty sick! I reassembled the gun,and poured a charge in then the bullet with the sabot. It went down the bore like normal,then almost fell off the ram rod, then for the last two inches loaded like it always did. I removed the breech plug,and pushed out the powder,and bullet. The barrel has expanded for about two inches(I guess this is about where the bullet jag on the ram rod was setting when I shot it!) I've never felt so dumb in my life! I know not to let myself be distracted when loading a muzzel loader. Dosen't look like I'll be shooting it this year for deer season. Can you buy a barrel from Savage? Or should I send the gun in for repairs? Ron :oops:

Thanks, Doohan,I still can't believe I did that! Yes I would hate to have it happen again. I'm glad the Savage is built like a tank,it could have been real ugly! Ron :oops:

Very unfortunate story, I hope you can get things back together asap. What became of the rod?

Ron S said:
I'm glad the Savage is built like a tank,it could have been real ugly! Ron :oops:

Your not kidding there. :) RON S, Ask for Joe Degrande. Tell him the story, and he'll tell you your options. He's a great guy. :)

The ram rod went down range,never to be seen again! Ron

Good idea Tom, I think I will,and paint it NEON ORANGE on the end! :wall:

I would HATE to see what happend if a POWER ROD was shot out of the barrel!!! EEEEEEEEK!

I figure between the bullet-250grs. and the rod-1400grs.and the bullet/cleaning attachment-500grs.(RAT)=2150grs/over 42grs. N110=painful recoil. Ron :oops:

RonS, I have an almost new blued 10-ML2 barrel if needed; likewise, Pat Allen, aka Indiana Hunter, is going to sell his HB barrel. My barrel is a shooter - I replaced it with a Pac Nor 45. I could send it immediately if needed, even if you only wanted to borrow it.
SW

the big thing is no one got hurt..... now i have to ask, how did that rod group!?

He would get far more $$$ if he sold the entire gun and bought a new 10ml and re-barrelled it.

That whole scenerio really makes my head hurt??? :oops: :huh?: :think: :wall:

i am curious was your ramrod the correct spine for your savage? :shock:
seriously this mishap is a testament to savage management and henry ball for building the strongest,safest, muzzleloader on the planet i sure would hate to see the outcome from the cheaper made guns :evil: i for one am glad no one was hurt and i hope you get it back quick! their customer service is the best ! good luck!

SW,thanks for the offer! The gun is on it's way to Savage. Thanks again. Ron :)

Ron S said:
The ram rod went down range,never to be seen again! Ron

Ron..
Next time use a 1 in 10 twist barrel. Maybe that will stabilize the ramrod all the way to the target! :poke:

Latest posts

Back