Messed up! Big Time

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks,Chuck! I don't think I could afford to shoot many three shot groups! I know my sholder wouldn't take it. On a side note: I shipped the gun out today! First I called a shipping service in Vincennes,In. They informed me that UPS wouldn't ship the gun to the factory! They said it would have to go FEDX@$ 110.60 over night air. I said Bull! Called UPS,took the gun over to their terminal,and shipped it ground,and insured for $12.46 it will be there on Monday! Boy you can sure get ripped off if you don't check around! $98.00 can buy alot of ram rods! Ron :)

You aren't the 1st to bulge a barrel, and I am sure that you won't be the last.

If Savage gives your action a clean bill of health which I am sure that they will you might consider buying a barrel some where else instead of from them. I read on another board that Indianahunter was selling his Henry Ball barrel and having rname build him an SMI barrel for his Savage. You might be able to pick his HB barrel up cheap. Or you could contact Ron to build you an SMI for the Savage action.

Grouse said:
Ron S said:
The ram rod went down range,never to be seen again! Ron

Replace it with a PowerRod. :wink:

If you order the Knight 22" power rod from Midsouth Shooters Supply it's the same and about $10 or so cheaper. :wink:

HighTechRedneck said:
You aren't the 1st to bulge a barrel, and I am sure that you won't be the last.

If Savage gives your action a clean bill of health which I am sure that they will you might consider buying a barrel some where else instead of from them. I read on another board that Indianahunter was selling his Henry Ball barrel and having rname build him an SMI barrel for his Savage. You might be able to pick his HB barrel up cheap. Or you could contact Ron to build you an SMI for the Savage action.

Pat Allen changed his mind. He's keeping the HB Savage in tact. :)

Well it is good to hear that Pat decided to keep his in tact. When I read his post about selling the barrel I was kinda shocked that anybody would do that to an HB.

He was considering doing it because his SMI outshoots his HB.

Having followed Patrick Allen's lead, I, too, got a SMI 50 std barrel on my NEF frame. Fair trigger at best and small, straight stock. It also out shoots my 10-ML2s with 250 and 300SSTs. The major thing to me is that it is so consistent: just shoots the same all the time. It doesn't seem to develope the problem of needing a thorough cleaning just about the time I think I have it just like I want.

As far as shooting the ram rod out of your barrel,don't think your not going to have it happen! I've been shooting Black Powder for over 35yrs. About 7years ago we were at the range,and my wife was shooting her gun for group. She was using a cleaning jag extension on her range rod. She had a one holer going at 100yds,and was very excited about it! She had been told to leave the jag loose,so it would turn with the bullet/sabot on loading(not a very good practice). On the third shot WHAMO! The gun almost knocked her off the shooting bench! Upon inspection,it was noticed that the 3inch long jag extension was missing from her range rod. This mishap, happend by her excitement over the group she was shooting! BUT MOST importantly there were at least 10 very experenced shooters watching her shoot. They were also talking about the group that was being shot at the 100yd. target,watching her settle in for the next shot on the bags, looking thru spotting scopes,ect. NOT one,including the shooter had noticed the little brass extension was missing on the range rod! Don't think your imune to mistakes,or accidents! I couldn't see myself ever doing this(but I just shot my ram rod out of my Savage) all it takes is a little distraction,at the WRONG TIME! Ron :?

I too got distracted at the range and double loaded my savage. I'm sure glad the gun is built exceedingly well. Distractions are a major problem but I've learned too double check everything. I may be too cautious now, if there is such a thing, but I doubt it when talking about firearms. I'm glad noone was hurt and I sure hope by relating your story, someone else may learn from your experience. tick

Tick,I don't think you can be TOO cautious! The problem seems to be with distractions,almost all incedents I have heard of occured with more than the shooter present. We get lax in our loading, after much experence. Almost a NON THINKING procedure of motions. that's when the trouble starts. I've got a friend that claims he has loaded his muzzle loader so many time,that he could do it with his eyes closed. A kid in the neiborhood got a new crotch rocket this summer. He would come over and ask what I thought about various things on high performance cycles( I raced for 15yrs. ) Well it all started out OK,he rode it like he had some respect for it,but every week the O'l bike would pass the house a little faster. Then it would pass doing a wheelie. He told me that He had it Mastered now,and could ride it as fast as it would go! That was three days before his ambulance ride to the hospital,with a seperated sholder,both legs broken,all the ribs on his right side broken,and many abrasions. He DID have enough sense to wear a helment,and riding gear. Once we have things under control,and MASTERED the accident is only a little ways off. Ron :)

I'm fairly new to muzzleloading, but I think the following are some habits I think are key to avoiding mistakes:

1. Scribe one or more witness marks on your ramrod (may need two marks if you shoot a small volume of faster powder with a light, short bullet, and other times a large volume of slower powder with a long, heavy bullet--but know which mark is for which load).

2. Never load from the box of slugs/bottle of powder. Weigh or dip ALL of your charges ahead of time and put them in speed loaders or plastic vials. After each shot, lay out ONLY the components necessary for the last shot, and in order left to right. When you're ready to load, move through them systematically, so that you don't get a bullet down the barrel ahead of the powder, etc. When you are done loading, and after you have checked your witness mark, check to make sure that there is only ONE empty powder vial on the table. After the shot, put up the empty vial and only then lay out the components for the next shot.

3. Make a habit of never taking your hand off of the ramrod while it is in the barrel and of withdrawing it from the barrel SECOND that the bullet is seated.

4. Keep a T-handle or some other large attachment on the outer end of your range rod to make it more noticeable if left in the barrel.

5. Make a habit of every time, when you first sit down in front of that gun after loading between shots, glancing at the bench to see your range rod and ONE empty powder vial before you lean in and click off the safety.

#3 Would have saved me alot of problems. Laying out the components in order is a good idea. I also would have been better off wearing hearing protection,as after they talked to me for a couple of minutes with no responce,they likley would have quit talking to me! Ron

Latest posts

Back