Michigan.... FYI

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I follow the rules and I'm still a f___ing criminal! I may as well go get high and rob some people. You were spot on about needing a lawyer when hunting here.

So I follow the rules and I'm still a f___ing criminal! I may as well go get high and rob some people. You were spot on about needing a lawyer when hunting here.

LOL...…….. It wasn't me that mentioned needing a lawyer.

What many are attributing this to, is the legalization of recreational pot. Although now legal in MI, its still against federal law, thus this.
I did read this morning something posted by WILX TV out of Lansing, that pot sales in three months exceeded $31M with $6M of that going to combined taxes. Which by the way, will likely go to line the pockets of newly formed committee members to over see it.

Now I am wondering...should I give up my cpl and try to get rich selling weed? Or keep my cpl and get rich robbing dealers? Or, should I keep the cpl and start growing and selling? So many choices

Now I am wondering...should I give up my cpl and try to get rich selling weed? Or keep my cpl and get rich robbing dealers? Or, should I keep the cpl and start growing and selling? So many choices

So is this the new job you mentioned starting in a few weeks lol

Im the one who mentioned keeping a lawyer when you hunt and fish in Michigan. I had an issue on a trout stream last summer. I asked 2 different DNR officers and got 2 totally different answers. Both officers were in the fishery division. Pretty frustrating.

Right. Good advice. Lawyer up. My sister is/was a deputy in Ludington, she always told me to say NOTHING to LEO with out a lawyer. The are only enforcing what they understand to be the law and let the courts decide who's right or wrong. I study the MI hunting rule book every year, but it's just a condensed version of the real laws, and can change so quickly. I always keep a new one on me while hunting JIC.

Absolutely, guilty or not do not say a thing. Just about anything you say can be twisted against you. It cost you time and money to get the mess straightened out. On the matter of the trout stream last summer it reminds me of the old Arrow Smith song S.O.S.. Judges constipation goes to his head, Wives aggravation you soon end up dead. You can end up in jail or worse even if your not wrong.

My wife and I were watching Detroit news last summer. The news reporter was at the home of a "shooting Incident". The wife was being interviewed and she told the reporter how " her husband had chased the intruder through the yard shooting at him". I told my wife his wife had just put him in jail. Not allowed to chase someone with a gun. The threat has passed if they are retreating.

So I schooled my wife never to talk to anyone if there is a shooting incident at our house. I advise you all to do the same. You all know that if you are involved in a shooting and you are one doing the shooting you will be spending the night in jail. Even a police officer will be in jail while the facts are sorted out.

just FYI

Last edited:
I had a kid that i worked with asked me what i would do if he broke into my home. When i said i would probably shoot him, he said he was going to call the police and report me for threatening him with a gun. We were just having a conversation, or so I thought. He seemed to think he was 100% in the right. I am glad he didn't actually do it. The cops do not take reports of threats lightly. It was silly but I had an epiphany, a change in the way I thought about how a comment can be perceived by someone. Think BEFORE you speak.

yep, careful what you say. Even a statement made in jest to a friend could be brought up in court years from now. Be especially careful with emails and text messages.

Heres another angle on how people think.

Again, Detroit news station. A man breaks into a home and the owner shoots him dead. The wife of the intruder/dead man is talking to the reporter and states if a home has a gun for protection the owner should be required to put up a sign stating such. Implying her husband would not go into a house where he knew a gun was on site. I looked at my wife in disbelief. So an intruder wants fair warning there is a gun in the house??????? What ever happened to its my house stay out!!!!!!!.

My dad taught me to keep my hands off of other peoples stuff. It wasn't the owner I would worry about getting punishment from, It was my dad. I taught my kids the same.

I had a kid that i worked with asked me what i would do if he broke into my home. When i said i would probably shoot him, he said he was going to call the police and report me for threatening him with a gun. We were just having a conversation, or so I thought. He seemed to think he was 100% in the right. I am glad he didn't actually do it. The cops do not take reports of threats lightly. It was silly but I had an epiphany, a change in the way I thought about how a comment can be perceived by someone. Think BEFORE you speak.

Hi MichiganMuzzy. This is, Not just in reply to what you wrote, but it applies to all that read these posts, there's a book out by Alan Korwin With the title, AFTER YOU SHOOT. If you haven't read it, I would highly recommend it. Many of us face this problem or just a matter of time and we will be. This explains a lot of what to do, what not to say to the police, for you and your family. It's a good read.

yep, careful what you say. Even a statement made in jest to a friend could be brought up in court years from now. Be especially careful with emails and text messages.

Heres another angle on how people think.

Again, Detroit news station. A man breaks into a home and the owner shoots him dead. The wife of the intruder/dead man is talking to the reporter and states if a home has a gun for protection the owner should be required to put up a sign stating such. Implying her husband would not go into a house where he knew a gun was on site. I looked at my wife in disbelief. So an intruder wants fair warning there is a gun in the house??????? What ever happened to its my house stay out!!!!!!!.

My dad taught me to keep my hands off of other peoples stuff. It wasn't the owner I would worry about getting punishment from, It was my dad. I taught my kids the same.
I wonder how much trouble it would get me in if I did put a gun warning sign in the window? Like those old helping hand signs or protected by Ruger? I live in a fairly conservative area and pretty sure everyone is carrying or owns a firearm for defense.

Back