MK85 Bullet / sabot / powder selection. What do you use ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregdaws

Reaction score
MK85.jpgSo, I just picked up this old MK85 in .54 to add to the stable. I wanted one for a long time and now I have one. Only thing is I need some help from others shooting an 85 in .54 cal. I don't like buying pakets of 15 or 20 bullets/ sabots. I prefer to buy my bullets and sabots in bulk and I need some advice on bullet / sabot selection along with powders and load data. This is my first plunger ML and I get that I shouldn't be using BH209 but I would like to know what works for you.

What bullet / sabot / powder selection give you the best results. Any help appreciated. Have a great day !!

I’d suggest a Speer 45 cal 300 gr deep curl bullet, with the appropriate sabot, 110 grs T7 - 2 F powder and a #11 mag cap.

Would recommend you do a search on here for MK85 54 CAL loads or something like that. I think you will find that most recommendations are for using a 54 cal sabot (purple) and a 50cal bullet such as the Barnes 325 gr and for Speer 325gr loads. Some also say the 50cal Speer 270gr and a 300gr 50 cal SOCOM bullet. If you run across ShawnT's posts on his results with a 54cal, he gives great advice.

Would recommend you do a search on here for MK85 54 CAL loads or something like that. I think you will find that most recommendations are for using a 54 cal sabot (purple) and a 50cal bullet such as the Barnes 325 gr and for Speer 325gr loads. Some also say the 50cal Speer 270gr and a 300gr 50 cal SOCOM bullet. If you run across ShawnT's posts on his results with a 54cal, he gives great advice.
Thank you !!!

The Barnes 50cal 275gr is also good but the 325gr is getting rather long for a 1-28 twist. The Speer 50cal 300gr is also ok but wont expand as easily as the 325gr does. Tony Knight had it right when he shipped MKs with the 325gr Speer. Its made for 50A&E but will handle 50 Beowulf type speeds. Nearly a perfect match for what a MK 54cal can achieve in fps.

So I set off today to find Speer .50 bullets and Purple MMP Sabaots in. Not happening !!. I can find Hornady .50 XTP & FTX in a few places. Does anyone have experience with the Hornady 50 cal 300gr XTP & FTX bullets in their MK85?. I can get the sabots direct so that isn't a problem.

The alternative is that I get a different sabot and and use something like a .451 or 452 Hornady XTP which seems to defeat the object of having a 54 cal rifle.

Is 54 cal dying out as an inline caliber? Thoughts?

The Speer .50 325 in a purple MMP sabot is the only saboted projectile I have used. It shoot well with 100 grains. I was shooting open sights and the accuracy was good enough I never tried another sabot combo.

120 gr by volume of triple 7. A harvester sabot with a 45 cal Hornady ptx. Now discontinued. Gun loved that combo.

Don't have a Knight .54 caliber inline rifle. Do have a TC Fire Hawk in .54 caliber.

My loads for that Fire Hawk are the Harvester red sabot and the 250 grain SST bullet or the 300 grain .451 XTP bullet over 120 grains of Black MZ powder. Both loads knock the stuffing out of large hogs.

The XTPs are really all you need. Barnes are a bit better but really not needed. I don't have a 54 but I use .40 cals in my 45 and 44s in my 50 cals. Plenty accurate enough and reliable on game.

I missed the second part of your question. I think the 54 is largely dead when it comes to inline rifles. It still seems popular in sidehammer guns, especially when shooting roundball. I have a MK-85 in 54 and like it for what it is, but I don't see any great advantages over a 50. I agree with your thinking, if I'm going to shoot saboted 45 bullets, it defeats the purpose of shooting a 54.

So, In the end I didn't pick the rifle up. It was a great deal $400 CAD (I'm in Ontario) included the rifle in Ex condition, bushnell scope. case, powder Saboted bullets and a tackle box full of all the right ML tools and accessories. I'm pissed that I didn't pick it up.

However, I spent several hours on the net yesterday looking for Sabots and bullets or both together. Not one canadian site had bullet/sabot combo's in . 54. No site had any . 54 sabots including purple, red etc. The same was true for all of my local gun shops. The only way to get sabots was straight from MMP. On top of that I could find only one Canadian site that had .50 bullets.

I really appreciate all of your advice and help. Ultimately, I have a disc in .45 , an Omega in .50 and an ML2 in .50. An MK85 in .54 is just not happening for me right now. There doesn't seem like there is the support for the calibre north of the boarder. I think I will wait for an MK85 in a calibre that is well serviced where I live.

Thanks guys !!!

TBH I didn't even think about Cecil Epp. Strange because I have been looking into his LMRP system for my Omega and 10 ML2. PR bullets didn't come up when I was searching. He would be the only one that I have seen selling .54 sabots up here though I am sure that there must be shops with inventory.

Thank you

Back