Moly lube

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donparadowski

Reaction score
I shoot a T/C Strike using BH 209 powder and a CCI 209 primer to propel a Harvester 300 grain PT gold with their black crushed rib sabot. It is a solid 200-yard shooter and if I had a conveniently located range longer than 200 yards, I’d have a longer opinion.

What I don't know is what would be the results if I use moly lube on this set up. I would really appreciate any wisdom from your experiences please.

Aren't sabots supposed to be shot as they come from the package? What is moly going to help with and not become a mess?

Adding a lubricant just introduces another variable into the equation and its a little bit of a pain to remove for a bore.

Don't lube the sabots.
I've also found an improvement in accuracy if I clean the bullets themselves, with rubbing alcohol. This removes any residue left after production and maximizes sabot grip. Since I've been doing this, my Firehawk's 100 yard 3 shot inch or less group count is rising.

If the sabots appear to need lube, one needs to experiment with more types of sabots. I’m kinda picky about bore fit & tightness, not to much, or to little. I can’t think of a reason to lube sabots. At the most a ‘slight’ amount of wax is all I would do, emphasizing the word slight.

Back