Move over Barnes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
There are so many people that like to use Barnes .458 originals. I personally think they are fairly accurate but poor on game. Of course everyone has different results but on the internet you can here and see just about anything.

After shooting the Lehigh .458 300grn bullets i was very impressed again. http://www.lehighbullets.com/products.asp?cat=18 They advertise the bullet at 305grns i believe. Actual weight is right at 302.5grns. I weighed 10 bullets and that was the average.

I tested these bullets out of a Knight Disc Elite and a Savage 10ML. The bullets work really well in the loose bore Knights with BH209. These bullets were tight in my Savage with the short black Harvester. My orange .458 sabots didnt come in on time. They will be tested next with this bullet.

It was so cold i forgot to take some pics. Here is a group shot at 108yds with a Savage 10ML. This was not the best group or the worst. This group was shot with 42grns of 4759 and a CCI primer. Muzzle Velocity was right around 2200fps. I was getting some strange reading on my chrono. It might of been to close and to cold. :) Sorry the first two pics were taken with a phone.

IMG000921.jpg

IMG000911.jpg

I did take a picture of the 250grn and the 305grn for you to get an idea of how long they are. The 250grn are the same length as an SST. Thats including the plastic tip on the SST.
Picture010.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

Cool deal Tom... do you know what the .40 bullet that you spoke of will be?

sabot question?

The 250 grain bullet looks to have a bit of a boat-tail shape to it....does it require a 'special' sabot like the barnes boat-tail or can a 'standard' sabot for 45 cal bullets be used?

Re: sabot question?

bluedog said:
The 250 grain bullet looks to have a bit of a boat-tail shape to it....does it require a 'special' sabot like the barnes boat-tail or can a 'standard' sabot for 45 cal bullets be used?

Standard sabot is all you need.

nice groupes GROUSE now we need to know how they mushroom when they hit the deer ..do you think that they do more damage than the BARNES [just asking] on deer the .250 gr. ???? all of our ranges are closed for the winter we have about 4 feet of snow on the ground ...and it's only the end of january...

Thats a good point there black powder.
And how slow can they go and still get good Exspandion.
black powder said:
nice groupes GROUSE now we need to know how they mushroom when they hit the deer ..do you think that they do more damage than the BARNES [just asking] on deer the .250 gr. ???? all of our ranges are closed for the winter we have about 4 feet of snow on the ground ...and it's only the end of january...

black powder said:
nice groupes GROUSE now we need to know how they mushroom when they hit the deer ..do you think that they do more damage than the BARNES [just asking] on deer

I sent some to Doohan to test at high and low speeds thru his gel. I'm sure he will do that when he gets time. The best test to me is on Game. :)

Barnes have always been pretty acccurate for me. The Barnes Originals poked holes in the Deer i have shot. Very little blood trail. Same goes for the 175 and 195grn bullets. The 200grn XTP did a much better job for sure. The 300grn MZ Expander looks like a good bullet. I thought i shot something with those just cant remember where. :oops: Rifleman has had alot better results on game then i have with the Originals. He is on the other board more often, you could send him a PM or email and he could answer some questions.

These look interesting, but I am not too impressed by the expansion test on their website. Hopefully Doohans test gives better results. Now they will be good for deer, but I am an elk hunter, and based on what I see in this pic, I will not choose this bullet.

brasscopperhexhpcomparison.jpg

Also with that price tag, the low BC of the bullet, I can't see where they are better than Barnes.

I guess i should be more specific. My thoughts and results are strictly based on Deer sized game. A Barnes original would probably be an excellant bullet for Elk. I would use a 275grn Parker Ballistic Extreme on Elk if i was going this year.

Grouse said:
black powder said:
nice groupes GROUSE now we need to know how they mushroom when they hit the deer ..do you think that they do more damage than the BARNES [just asking] on deer

I sent some to Doohan to test at high and low speeds thru his gel. I'm sure he will do that when he gets time. The best test to me is on Game. :)

Barnes have always been pretty acccurate for me. The Barnes Originals poked holes in the Deer i have shot. Very little blood trail. Same goes for the 175 and 195grn bullets. The 200grn XTP did a much better job for sure. The 300grn MZ Expander looks like a good bullet. I thought i shot something with those just cant remember where. :oops: Rifleman has had alot better results on game then i have with the Originals. He is on the other board more often, you could send him a PM or email and he could answer some questions.

Looks great Tom. I got the bullets yesterday and they are of fantastic quality! I cant wait to shoot a few of them!

I will be unavailable until next weekend. I will shoot them when I get back.

JJ

I think what you are seeing in the pics is that these are designed to expand and then break the petals off and create multiple wound channels. Thats why you see the holes in the bullet tube going away from the main wound channel in the pics.

To me the wound channels look like real bad news for deer or elk. :shock:

After the bullet expands, you can clearly see the break-away channels the petals created in the gel.

Kind of like hitting the animal with five bullets at once, instead of just one.

I like it; (and yes there is an alien 'hydra' female in there somewhere!)

Latest posts

Back